Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review of VU+ Solo Enigma 2 Linux receiver

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkulRide View Post
    maybe it would be good to make a video of zapping and put it on youtube.
    Good idea m8, I'll do that over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkulRide View Post
    Its sad that OpenPLi doesnt want to support it because its has as they say "crap" hardware. I like their image, very
    Think they need to make their minds up. Three of their mods/admin had replied to my thread before pieterg stated that they have no plans for a pli image. Also they should backup their claims about so called 'crap' hardware.

Personally it comes across to me that they're pissed off about something...........
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VUplus NL View Post
    Yes: while recording, can you still watch other channels (of course on the same transponder)? And how many recordings can you make simultaneous (of course again on the same transponder)?
    Just back from being away for 5 days so thought I'd do some more testing with the Solo. Re-flashed with VTI 0.1 for Solo and updated drivers. Just managed to record 3HD channels to USB stick! All on same transponder of course. If there was a fourth on that transponder I reckon I could have switched to it, there was no lag or speed issues switching between them whilst it was recording the 3HD channels
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    That front USB port could be doctored to allow an external 2.5" HD to be installed internally, but it looks tight, is there anywhere we could squeeze a 2.5" drive inside the case?

What's the situation with Pli, are they still refusing to support it?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witchy View Post
    That front USB port could be doctored to allow an external 2.5" HD to be installed internally, but it looks tight, is there anywhere we could squeeze a 2.5" drive inside the case?

What's the situation with Pli, are they still refusing to support it?
    Not sure about doctoring it. Dont really think there enough room inside also head from the HDD could become an issue, remember it's fanless. Personally I'd invest in a large USB stick and plug it in the rear.

PLi, still no news from them, but tbh the VTI image works sweet anyway.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

witchy (02-08-10)

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    I have one of these solo picture quality just as good as my duo zapping no difference. only niggle is the lack of suport. the big three spit the dummy out as they were not given stock to play with only vti got stock to develop on. I still have a probs with getting my external hard drive to be seen and used by the solo and the vti image dont like my motorised setup. but I can live with that for the moment . the box is quality far better built than any dreambox.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    @ Data, have you FTP'd latest drivers?
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    I only ftp the ones in the sticky but if you post a link to the latest one I will ftp them to the box and let you know.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    The drivers from this thread http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/show...10-USB-Drivers Remember to extract from the zip file first.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Hi i have just registered. Do you know if vu+ solo or duo will do what i need.

I need to be able to feed HD TV from HDMI and at the same time feed a standard projector from Scart, so I have same thing showing on both screens,

thk you in advance for any help.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bgannon View Post
    Hi i have just registered. Do you know if vu+ solo or duo will do what i need.

I need to be able to feed HD TV from HDMI and at the same time feed a standard projector from Scart, so I have same thing showing on both screens,

thk you in advance for any help.
    I very much doubt that this will work correctly, because the A/V settings will be set to HDMI for the HD output, so very much doubt that you will get a correct signal from the scart.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Deep standby recording, does your VU+ solo support it?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glimpser View Post
    Deep standby recording, does your VU+ solo support it?
    Almost sure that it does, but I will test for you and report back.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Glimpser (25-08-10)

Title
    Thanks
    i have another question
    is it possible to play mkv 1080p DTS file with solo and watch it in 1080i component TV out

thanks for your help

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glimpser View Post
    thanks,
    i have another question
    is it possible to play mkv 1080p DTS file with solo and watch it in 1080i component TV out
    Doubt it with the current VTI image, but maybe on VTI2.0 when it get released. Cant honestly say for sure either way.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    For the purpose if this review I'm using the official installed stock image as supplied. I'm not flashing with any other image.

Once again I was impressed with the packaging provided with a VU+ receiver. Upon unpacking I was really pleased to see a black remote! So I've now both white and black remote's.

Box contents as follows: -

VU+ Solo
    Instruction Manual (well written)
    HDMI Lead
    Black Remote inc. batteries

First thing I did was take the attached photos. I then proceeded to remove the lid and take photos of the insides. You'll notice that it's fan-less.

Once the photos where out of the way I proceeded to set up connected to a Triax 1.1m dish with TM-2600 motor.

The Solo boot's up just as fast, if not faster than its big brother the Duo. Once booted I followed through the setup wizard to set tuner and A/V settings. I noticed that advanced Videomode wasn't pre-installed. So once fully booted I went to plugins and installed from the feed, Videomode plugin (so I could select 1080 HDMI in A/V settings), video enhancement and Auto resolution plugins (never enabled auto resolution though).

Next thing I transferred my Enigma 2 Settings/bouquets with Dreamboxedit. Then went straight to FTA channels and was impressed with the picture quality of both SD & HD, again just as good as the Duo. Switched from Astra28 to Hotbird to Astra 19deg with no issues whatsoever. Zap speeds actually feel slightly faster on the Solo compared to the Duo.

Right now time to test out CCcam. I transferred VTI-Feed.conf to /etc/ipkg/ and installed CCcam 2.1.3 from the feed. I can confirm that CCcam works as 100% as client and server.

Now time to test some recording and timeshifting. The only thing I had to hand was a 16GB USB stick, so I successfully mounted it as a HDD via telnet. Once mounted I recording and switching through channels on the same transponder with ease Pausing live TV worked great too.

Now the main things where Tested I thought I'd try and get some extended EPG installed. I tried both the Rytec XMLTV plugin and Andyblac's satmate script and unfortunately neither worked on the official stock image. So we'll have to wait for a third party image in order to have extended EPG.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Solo, it my be the smaller brother of the Duo but it really packs as punch! You would never guess that it has a slightly less powerful processor than it's big brother. Its looks great, build quality is what we expected from VU+ and its great that it's fan-less so runs silent. So far not seen any heat issues. Now the only negative thing I can find to say about it, is that we to wait for a third party image before we can use an extended EPG plugin and very much doubt that the third party images are too far away. Both the VTI and PLi team have confirmed that they will be supporting the Solo.

If anyone has anything that they would like tested on the Solo please post a request here and I will do my best to test for you.
    hello,
    did you see the site below?
    http://visionnet.fr/tuto_soloclone.html
    is that means your solo is clone?!
    according to pics of backpanel: 8th. (pic there)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast