Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review of VU+ Solo Enigma 2 Linux receiver

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,044 Times in 7,633 Posts

Review of VU+ Solo Enigma 2 Linux receiver

For the purpose if this review I'm using the official installed stock image as supplied. I'm not flashing with any other image.

Once again I was impressed with the packaging provided with a VU+ receiver. Upon unpacking I was really pleased to see a black remote! So I've now both white and black remote's.

Box contents as follows: -

VU+ Solo
    Instruction Manual (well written)
    HDMI Lead
    Black Remote inc. batteries

First thing I did was take the attached photos. I then proceeded to remove the lid and take photos of the insides. You'll notice that it's fan-less.

Once the photos where out of the way I proceeded to set up connected to a Triax 1.1m dish with TM-2600 motor.

The Solo boot's up just as fast, if not faster than its big brother the Duo. Once booted I followed through the setup wizard to set tuner and A/V settings. I noticed that advanced Videomode wasn't pre-installed. So once fully booted I went to plugins and installed from the feed, Videomode plugin (so I could select 1080 HDMI in A/V settings), video enhancement and Auto resolution plugins (never enabled auto resolution though).

Next thing I transferred my Enigma 2 Settings/bouquets with Dreamboxedit. Then went straight to FTA channels and was impressed with the picture quality of both SD & HD, again just as good as the Duo. Switched from Astra28 to Hotbird to Astra 19deg with no issues whatsoever. Zap speeds actually feel slightly faster on the Solo compared to the Duo.

Right now time to test out CCcam. I transferred VTI-Feed.conf to /etc/ipkg/ and installed CCcam 2.1.3 from the feed. I can confirm that CCcam works as 100% as client and server.

Now time to test some recording and timeshifting. The only thing I had to hand was a 16GB USB stick, so I successfully mounted it as a HDD via telnet. Once mounted I recording and switching through channels on the same transponder with ease Pausing live TV worked great too.

Now the main things where Tested I thought I'd try and get some extended EPG installed. I tried both the Rytec XMLTV plugin and Andyblac's satmate script and unfortunately neither worked on the official stock image. So we'll have to wait for a third party image in order to have extended EPG.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Solo, it my be the smaller brother of the Duo but it really packs as punch! You would never guess that it has a slightly less powerful processor than it's big brother. Its looks great, build quality is what we expected from VU+ and its great that it's fan-less so runs silent. So far not seen any heat issues. Now the only negative thing I can find to say about it, is that we to wait for a third party image before we can use an extended EPG plugin and very much doubt that the third party images are too far away. Both the VTI and PLi team have confirmed that they will be supporting the Solo.

If anyone has anything that they would like tested on the Solo please post a request here and I will do my best to test for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

aguiasslb (28-06-10),alvand (14-07-10),bassethound (25-06-10),berley (25-06-10),bobonthejob (28-06-10),BOYNUMBERONE (25-03-13),fjfb69 (08-11-14),grtmoby (25-06-10),hamedsaba (24-04-11),irishchris (13-12-10),paul362 (26-06-10),Peter (28-06-10),pudvos (02-06-13),Retired member (25-06-10),rm2406 (20-01-13),trax020 (19-12-10),witchy (02-08-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The only downside for me is the mat finish (i prefer the gloss) and no front display ! other than that ill be getting 1 sooner or later for upstairs.
    Vu+Ultimo + Vu-Solo 1.1mtr Alloy dish + 60cm fixed, TM HH motor, hate footy LOVE motor-sport.

Title
    ViX Skinner-Dev
    Thanks
    VTi image should be soon, maybe when next original image or drivers arrives.

Otherwise good review. Iam surprised that its faster than duo. Price should be lower though. 250EUR max

Title
    Thanks
    Brillian review sic but I knew you'd give a proper unbiased one anyway.

It is a pity there's no LCD on the solo but it's not the end of the world and at least its a lot smaller than the duo, hmm decisions decisions I'm still not sure on whether to go for the solo or the DM500 HD

Title
    Thanks
    It looks much nicer than DUO and it got everything you need, i can see however in the picture above they have skimped on quality on the PSU board.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by berley View Post
    Brillian review sic but I knew you'd give a proper unbiased one anyway.

It is a pity there's no LCD on the solo but it's not the end of the world and at least its a lot smaller than the duo, hmm decisions decisions I'm still not sure on whether to go for the solo or the DM500 HD
    Difficult one to call there tbh. The Solo has a slightly less powerful CPU compared to the DM500HD, not sure if the if the DM500HD performance is actually any faster though. I cant comment on the quality of the DM500HD as I've never used one. In the short term the DM500HD has more images available, but in the long term the Solo will get more support. Even saying that you can still use the Solo out of the box with the stock image. Then you have the price difference. The Solo can be had for £299 inc. delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Likvid View Post
    It looks much nicer than DUO and it got everything you need, i can see however in the picture above they have skimped on quality on the PSU board.
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    If anyone has anything that they would like tested on the Solo please post a request here and I will do my best to test for you.
    Yes: while recording, can you still watch other channels (of course on the same transponder)? And how many recordings can you make simultaneous (of course again on the same transponder)?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VUplus NL View Post
    Yes: while recording, can you still watch other channels (of course on the same transponder)? And how many recordings can you make simultaneous (of course again on the same transponder)?
    Yes you can view other channels whilst recording (on same transponder), I'll test how many can be recorded at once in the next day or so.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Bit too expensive.
    Probably oldest Member. Bit new to this.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Bit too expensive.
    Compared to what box?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bassethound For This Useful Post:

kiani70 (24-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    looks better than the Duo fpmsl the duo looks like high class equipment very similar to Hifi separates

the Duo was called for its looks by the dreambox fanboys then it keeps getting called ever since how people can think it looks bad is beyond me the dreambox looks like its made out of a egg box

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassethound View Post
    Compared to what box?
    None in particular. Just for me at the mo. Good device though. Friend's just got one from the so called 'Importer' against advice as to where to buy.
    Probably oldest Member. Bit new to this.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leeuk View Post
    looks better than the Duo fpmsl the duo looks like high class equipment very similar to Hifi separates

the Duo was called for its looks by the dreambox fanboys then it keeps getting called ever since how people can think it looks bad is beyond me the dreambox looks like its made out of a egg box
    Here here I agree.
    Vu+Ultimo + Vu-Solo 1.1mtr Alloy dish + 60cm fixed, TM HH motor, hate footy LOVE motor-sport.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I've just tested actual boot times of the Duo and Solo.

Duo flashed with VTI 1.3 and set to use standard HD skin booted on 88 seconds.
    Solo flashed with official factory stock image set to use standard HD skin booted in 97 seconds.

So Solo is just approx 9 seconds slower at booting, although zapping IS as fast, but to me feels faster.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

hosein_satsat (09-07-10),rolexru (19-07-10)

Title
    ViX Skinner-Dev
    Thanks
    maybe it would be good to make a video of zapping and put it on youtube.

Its sad that OpenPLi doesnt want to support it because its has as they say "crap" hardware. I like their image, very

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast