Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Firefox 6 has officially launched.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts

Firefox 6 has officially launched.

6 Key Facts About Firefox 6
    Firefox 6 has officially launched. Here are the six most important things you should know about the latest Mozilla browser.

By Robert Strohmeyer InformationWeek
    August 16, 2011 04:24 PM

Top 12 Firefox Add-Ons
    Slideshow: Top 12 Firefox Add-Ons
    (click for larger image and for full slideshow)
    Continuing its trend for fast-track releases, Mozilla has officially launched Firefox 6, just two months after the launch of Firefox 5. While hardly a major overhaul, the new version includes a number of noteworthy feature updates and additions. Here are six of the most salient developments in Firefox 6.

1. Site-Specific Permissions

Firefox 6 includes a few tweaks aimed at keeping users more secure and putting power over data privacy in the hands of the end user. A new permissions manager, accessible by typing "aboutermissions" in the address bar, lets users set site-specific permissions to control acceptance of cookies, location sharing, pop-ups, and password and data storage. This allows users to set their overall security settings to be highly restrictive, without sacrificing usability on trusted sites. IT pros will want to spread the word about this feature to their users, since it doesn't appear in the standard menus.

2. Enhanced Site Identity Block

The site identity block--that box to the left of the site's url--has received some attention in this update. While the update hasn't added significant new functionality, it should now be easier for users to determine whether they're looking at a legit site with valid security credentials or a phishing site.

3. Faster Tab Groups

Firefox's Panorama feature, which debuted in Firefox 4, groups tabs together to help cut down clutter at the top of the browser. This new version fixes several bugs with Tab Groups, including a bug that caused tabs to switch groups after a restart, and also speeds up the feature's performance.

4. Improved Firefox Sync

Firefox Sync, which lets you sync your bookmarks, history, passwords, and other settings between your desktop Firefox and Firefox Mobile, now plays a more prominent role on the browser. If enabled, the feature will now prompt users to sync newly created bookmarks and passwords.

5. New Android Version

Alongside Firefox 6 for desktop, Mozilla has launched an update to its Android browser, streamlining the look of the browser, as well as some navigation features. Some of the new tweaks are aimed at making the browser easier to use, though most are designed to enable new developer features that now appear on both the desktop and mobile browsers.

6. Tons of Developer Tweaks

Firefox development is on a tear right now, with new versions projected every six weeks for the near future. By Thanksgiving, we should see Firefox 8 emerge. In Firefox 6, most of the changes are actually invisible to end users, but might draw significant attention from developers. A new Scratchpad tool will let developers prototype JavaScript code on the fly without accessing the console. The Web Console has a timesaving auto-complete feature. And server-sent APIs and WebSockets will enable new ways of communicating between servers and browsers.

Code:
     http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

bassethound (16-08-11),punisher (16-08-11),Sicilian (18-08-11)

Title
    Thanks
    I will check this out, but I have tried 4 and 5, and I still like 3.6 the best.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 832 Posts
    ive had all the FF versions, on version 5 atm but will definately be takin a look at 6 to see whats new
    "Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Install Cams on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Setup Picons on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Use Image Manager & Backup Manager on ViX Image - Click Here / How to Use Log Manager on ViX Image - Click Here
    How to Setup Inadyn on ViX Image - Click Here / How To Update Satellites.xml File - Click Here
    How To Stream TV To iPhone & iPad - Click Here
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    4 was a dismal release, full of bugs for me. 5 has been fine and without errors at all. now running 6 and so far so good.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

canthackit (17-08-11)