PDA

View Full Version : Wotsat gets an upgrade! Issue 304 on sale Thursday August 4

bassethound
03-08-11, 07:22
Issue 304 of What Satellite and Digital TV rings in the changes with a new look and even more of the features we know you love crammed into every page.

So, from now on expect heaps of essential digital TV tech coverage and tips, in-depth and longer test reports and a new and enhanced buyers guide to help you make the most informed buying decisions. And if you’re looking for free TV from across the Continent, we’ve got that covered too starting with a special feature on the current state of FTA channels in Europe and a guide to getting free TV from our Gallic neighbours across the channel.

Ooh la la indeed.

On test: – Is the Panasonic DMR-BWT800 Blu-ray/HDD combi the best Freeeview+ HD recorder you can buy? We group test four 0.1dB single LNBs to discover which is truly the most sensitive signal gatherer.

Eutelsat’s Tooway broadband via satellite service now reaches 10MB speeds thanks to the launch of Ka-sat but is it better than terrestrial counterparts? The Golden Media Unibox 9080 CRCI-HD PVR Combo combines HD satellite and SD digital terrestrial reception with PVR updgradeability and some multimedia enhancements.

For those on a budget we put the Philex Skyline 28260R and Ross 22300 HD-R all-in-one HD satellite systems up against each other in the first of our ‘head-to-head’ tests.

Technomate’s TM-2600 Super all-metal DiSEqC H-H motor is built to last. The Elgato Tivizen delivers DTT reception to mobile devices and PCs/macs while on the go but there’s something very familiar about it.

First impressions: The Linux-powered, Technomate TM-800 HD satellite receiver gets a first look ahead our test in issue 306, Rockdale’s camping/caravan friendly folding dish gets our holiday-minded attention, Sapphire launches a PC graphics card with DTT tuner and TV streaming onboard. Tevion’s sat-in-a-suitcase system looks like a budget supermarket bargain and Samsung dishes up another super-stylish and feature packed connected TV with Freesat HD and Freeview HD tuners.

http://wotsat.techradar.com/files/wotsat/inside/WST304_webcover.jpg

Tech Zone: New to digital TV or just confused about something? The Knowledge - our concise guide to free and pay TV and associated equipment will put you on the right path. Plus Troubleshooter continues to dispense plain English assistance to those in need Elsewhere, reader John Zalewski gives us the lowdown on how he kitted out a sports club for satellite reception with more than a little ingenuity in our Tech Project and

digital TV crusader Barry Fox questions how much importance manufacturers of connected TVs place on user security in Inside View.

What Satellite Pro: Frequency Distribution’s Simon Smith explains why solar panels deserve a place in aerial rigger’s vans. We trawl the recent CEDIA show to reveal the hottest forthcoming gadgets for installers and Jason Aldous of Aldous Systems gives us a Pro Talk on how data management is important to multiple HDMI TV networks.

Euro TV: As well as our feature on FTA channels in Europe and telling you all you need to know to find free to air French satellite channels, our Hot Bird Awards spotlight falls on Italy’s educational Rai Nettuno Sat, a sort of ‘Open University equivalent’ which caters for multiple language.

UKTV+: August TV highlights include a Discovery doc on the last flight of the space shuttle (sniff) and a look forward to Mount Pleasant, part of Sky’s promising new star studded new comedy line-up

Satellite XS: Blissbox’s Sara Sloane tells us how she’s currently ‘single by choice’ and ‘really focussed’ on her fans and Dave Taylor ponders the vagarities of regulating the online video on demand industry.

What Satellite & Digital TV issue 304, September 2011, on sale Thursday, August 4.

bassethound
03-08-11, 07:26
wowwwwww the Technomate TM-800 HD satellite receiver finally gets a first look after over a year on sale and a possible full review in 2 issues time :smash:

Larry-G
03-08-11, 07:35
wowwwwww the Technomate TM-800 HD satellite receiver finally gets a first look after over a year on sale and a possible full review in 2 issues time :smash:

LMAO i was just going to say the same thing.

bassethound
03-08-11, 07:39
if it gets over 70% i will never get the mag again!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

the box has got a lot better in the last 14 months but its still miles behind what other boxes can do that got released around the same time

Larry-G
03-08-11, 07:41
if it gets over 70% i will never get the mag again!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

the box has got a lot better in the last 14 months but its still miles behind what other boxes can do that got released around the same time

i totally agree mate, if they had reviewed this box a year ago it would have received 45% at best, i cant help but think politics are at work here in waiting for the box to be drastically improved before doing a full review.

bassethound
03-08-11, 07:48
strange that it gets a quick review this month and then waits 2 months for a full review probably hoping that IQ team can pull a great image out of a hat before the review lol :D

everything is there for a great box on the hardware side of things its just image support that is severely lacking :p

digidude
03-08-11, 08:05
if you want to see the '1st impression', its here

http://******************.co.uk/index.php?dir=TM800HD%20Linux/&file=TM800%20Wotsat%201st%20impressions.zip

they say its getting a full review next month, and will then be compared against other linux boxes the month after, that should make for interesting reading

Larry-G
03-08-11, 08:06
strange that it gets a quick review this month and then waits 2 months for a full review probably hoping that IQ team can pull a great image out of a hat before the review lol :D

everything is there for a great box on the hardware side of things its just image support that is severely lacking :p

yes, i have always said the TM800 could and should have been fantastically good receiver if TM would have either released the source code to multiple teams from day one or if TM had have come to their senses quicker and realized that while team UR make decent images for the e1 boxes such as the TM500/TM600 ( speaking as a TM600 owner and very happy with both mine ) they have no clue what to do with a e2 image.

bassethound
03-08-11, 08:18
pmsl where it says multimedia playback is possible

and a contender to the DM-800 :roflmao:

Wotsat
05-08-11, 10:47
Unfortunately here at Wotsat we don't buy our review samples, they're supplied by the manufacturers and UK dealers. We've known about the TM-800 HD for as long as you all have, but the sample only arrived very recently and went to the front of our queue. There's no politics involved, at least not on our side.

Sicilian
05-08-11, 10:55
Unfortunately here at Wotsat we don't buy our review samples, they're supplied by the manufacturers and UK dealers. We've known about the TM-800 HD for as long as you all have, but the sample only arrived very recently and went to the front of our queue. There's no politics involved, at least not on our side.

I think Technomate have been waiting to enusre their firmware is stable. In the last few months its had massive improvements so now is ready for fair review imo.

Larry-G
05-08-11, 11:01

many thanks for clearing that up, and welcome to WoS.

I think Technomate have been waiting to enusre their firmware is stable. In the last few months its had massive improvements so now is ready for fair review imo.

sadly way too little way too late on Technomate's part.

bassethound
05-08-11, 12:39

I will wait till a full review comes out from Wotsat to see if you are right ;)

And welcome to WOS

silverfox0786
05-08-11, 13:17
man im getting stressed i keep missing the wotsat offers for subscribing to the magazine

missed out on a uhf signal meter and the f connector tool kit

:roflmao:

need to go get this months edition

btw guys i took my july issue to pakistan with me was funny walking around with it in the satellite market

welcome to the forum wotsat