PDA

View Full Version : BBC, Sky to share Formula 1 rights from 2012

bassethound
29-07-11, 09:26
The BBC will share the rights to Formula 1 with Sky from next year.

The new arrangement will continue until 2018, with the BBC showing half of the races live. Sky Sports will broadcast coverage of all practice sessions, qualifying and every race.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC. The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a ten-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers."

The BBC will broadcast races including the Monaco grand prix, British grand prix and the final race of the season, in addition to practice and qualifying sessions from the races it has the rights to show live.

It will also carry highlights of any grand prix that it does not show in full.

Sky Sports' managing director Barney Francis said that the announcement was "fantastic news for F1 fans" and promised to "give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment, with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television".

BBC Radio 5 Live will have live commentary of all races and both broadcasters will provide extended coverage across online, 'red button' services and mobile platforms.

Both broadcasters will also provide build-up coverage before each race on Sky News, Sky Sports News and the BBC News channel.

The BBC has had exclusive UK rights to Formula 1 coverage since 2009. F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh had both encouraged the BBC to keep broadcasting grands prix.

Larry-G
29-07-11, 10:10
yet another British sport going to be raped by sky sports and removed from free coverage. whats next, sky gona nick the 6 nations coverage too ?.

tandaman
29-07-11, 10:19
It really was only a matter of time....With viewers increasing.....Sky always buys up the big viewing sport events. Ah well I will have to pursude the wife in letting me get sports channels now.

itsjustme
29-07-11, 10:38
Very disappointing!... Similar to how it has gone it Ireland too... Rte and TV3 being outbid by setanta a few years ago!

Sky show the dosh and get it this time..

A lot of freesat viewers will be dissapointed!!

notanotherone
29-07-11, 14:07
again the freeview public will be thrown to the lions sad to hear this just wonder whats next?

itsjustme
29-07-11, 14:08
again the freeview public will be thrown to the lions sad to hear this just wonder whats next?

Hope its not 6 Nations or ITV's coverage of Champs League!! :eek::eek::eek:

Larry-G
29-07-11, 14:11
Hope its not 6 Nations or ITV's coverage of Champs League!! :eek::eek::eek:

i totally agree, i was sickened when they took the cricket from CH4 a few years ago. used to spend long weekends watching the game at work till sky took it.

bassethound
29-07-11, 14:11
See related story F1-team-bosses-question-BBC-Sky-deal

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9909-F1-team-bosses-question-BBC-Sky-deal&p=73067#post73067

Stanman
29-07-11, 18:57
i totally agree, i was sickened when they took the cricket from CH4 a few years ago. used to spend long weekends watching the game at work till sky took it.
Theu've had that for donkeys years - took it from the beeb. C4 lost the highlights to C5 few years back

notanotherone
29-07-11, 23:23
if you want you can sign up to this

http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition/petition-for-totally-free-to-air-formula-1-from-2010/3290

Larry-G
29-07-11, 23:43
if you want you can sign up to this

http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition/petition-for-totally-free-to-air-formula-1-from-2010/3290

Done and plus rep for posting this.

Stanman
30-07-11, 10:18
I've signed it and will pass to friends as well