PDA

View Full Version : SSD hard drive on VU+ DUO

24-07-11, 22:30
Hi guys..

I just want to know if any of you have tried a ssd hard drive on VU+ DUO,
If it's working can you please post the brand you are using.

Regards.

jcm193
24-07-11, 22:55
Considering the cost of the average ssd drive its complete overkill and i can not see anyone wanting to use one in a vu+ duo,I myself just use an old 2.5 inch sata hd and it works without any problems at all.

pooface
25-07-11, 08:06
Agree with jcm on this one... SSD just isn't worth it for the cost. Buy an sad for your laptop if you have one and swap the hdd in there over to your duo... You'll see much more use from the ssd on there...

andyblac
25-07-11, 17:12
and remember SSD have a shorter life HDD's so if you are using time shift, it won't last long at all.

sivhead
26-07-11, 22:44
I have tested an OCZ 120gb worked perfectly. Cant remember the exact model as its gone back in the laptop which has gone back to work.. It does run a lot quieter... no spin up on recording...If I didnt need a large drive I would have definetly kept it. I have stuck my 1tb back in now... (you dont realize how quick your hard drive can fill up with HD content..) If you keep on top of your recordings then SSD is they way to go..

andyblac
27-07-11, 18:36
I have tested an OCZ 120gb worked perfectly. Cant remember the exact model as its gone back in the laptop which has gone back to work.. It does run a lot quieter... no spin up on recording...If I didnt need a large drive I would have definetly kept it. I have stuck my 1tb back in now... (you dont realize how quick your hard drive can fill up with HD content..) If you keep on top of your recordings then SSD is they way to go..

as i said, it won't last five minutes.

wacek
28-07-11, 15:43
In my opinion SSD is wrong option.
First - its pricey for its capacity.
Second - life span.
Thirdly - I am not sure it SSD is optimal if Youll start to record few TVshows at once. From what I know the performance of SSD drop rapidly whan You have few parallel writes, especially video streams. I can be wrong but I remember that All writes in SSD address whole row of memory cells - quite defferent to HDD. Sometimes it can lead to to huge speed loss. For AV I would stick to HDD for now.

spacemonkey
30-07-11, 09:46
Its not a SSD hard disk but i use a 1GB SATADOM instead of a USB or HDD for Picon, EPG etc and then record across the network to a NAS. I would have to agree a standard SSD is not a good idea.

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12113

sjaddy
23-02-12, 08:21
Its not a SSD hard disk but i use a 1GB SATADOM instead of a USB or HDD for Picon, EPG etc and then record across the network to a NAS. I would have to agree a standard SSD is not a good idea.

sorry for dragging up old thread but I am interested in this method - remove the slow HDD in my vu+ and record over the network to my NAS. How well are you finding running a SATADOM and is 1GB large enough for everything you need? Did you notice it faster than installing a HDD in it? How have you configured your box to recognise this?

sorry for the questions.

Sandman
23-02-12, 11:06
sorry for dragging up old thread but I am interested in this method - remove the slow HDD in my vu+ and record over the network to my NAS. How well are you finding running a SATADOM and is 1GB large enough for everything you need? Did you notice it faster than installing a HDD in it? How have you configured your box to recognise this?

sorry for the questions.

I really don't think these boxes in their current hardware are able to read and write successfully enough to a network drive...

When I got 2 boxes I setup both to use a network drive as storage and results weren't that great TBH...

breakup, freezing etc was common so I just went back to internal HDD's and share the drives between each other for playback...

SD may be fine but with a 100Mbit card, HD seems to struggle...especially if you're streaming multiple recordings / playbacks!

YMMV of course :cool:

Rob van der Does
23-02-12, 11:15
I really don't think these boxes in their current hardware are able to read and write successfully enough to a network drive...

When I got 2 boxes I setup both to use a network drive as storage and results weren't that great TBH...

breakup, freezing etc was common so I just went back to internal HDD's and share the drives between each other for playback...
Looks like a local network issue. I have multiple boxes (VU & ET) recording and play-backing over a network (a.o. to/from a NAS) and never have any of the issues you mention.

punisher
23-02-12, 11:42
Same here i record from et9k and uno to a NAS and works perfect for me, recording and PTS

Rob van der Does
23-02-12, 11:44
Same here i record from et9k and uno to a NAS and works perfect for me, recording and PTS
Yeah, forgot to say that: PTS on HD-channels as well.

punisher
23-02-12, 11:51
yeh recording SD & HD channels and PTS on SD & HD channels work a breeze. I use a Western Digital MyBook World Edition 2TB

sjaddy
24-02-12, 08:43
thanks everyone for confirming that the NAS route will work for recording etc, anyone tried the SATADOM route though?

Sandman
24-02-12, 09:53
Looks like a local network issue. I have multiple boxes (VU & ET) recording and play-backing over a network (a.o. to/from a NAS) and never have any of the issues you mention.

I had already ruled the network out...I stream full HD BD ISO's around the house without issue...

It *could* be an image issue...I've fully defected to VIX now so might give it another go! I could certainly use the free'd up drives elsewhere!

Mr00oo00
10-07-14, 09:49

hi
I know it has been around 3 years since your post but I need to know if the satadom still better than the normal usb 2.0.
suppose I get one, is it possible to install the multiboot on it ?
regards