PDA

View Full Version : How to use Backup & Image Manager on Duo/Solo/Uno/ET9000/ET5000 ViX

punisher
21-07-11, 15:24
This tutorial will show you how to use the new Backup Manager and Image Manager on the ViX Image

Now although they seem the same, they aren't :p

The Backup Manager lets you create scheduled backups of your system files (not full
Image like Image Manager).

The Image Manager enables you to backup and restore your image (we are talking the whole image, not just settings).

Both also let you chose where you want to store the backups i.e USB, HDD, Network and also you can schedule Daily, Weekly or Monthly backups too.

Backup Manager

The (automated) settingsbackup is now in ViX-BackupManager, including the re-install of softcams and other plugins. After flashing an image, the restorefunction discovers the existence of settings, and asks if you want to restore them. The restore asks if previously installed plugins must be installed.

The restore function only discovers the existence of the latest backup, and it must have the default pref-fix. If you want an older backup to be restored, just say "No" to the wizard, return to the backupmanager once the system is up, select the wanted backup and choose "restore".

To get started you need to go to the Backup Manager which can be found by pressing the blue button/VIX/

Once in the Backup Manager you will see something like below (mine has previous backups, your might be empty)

First you need to set up the Backup Manager (scheduled backups, directory etc). Press the Menu button on your remote to setup

I have set mine to do a daily backup at 2am and store it on my HDD.

You can also press "Yellow" and add other files you would like to backup other than the default ones that are pre selected for you (i havent done any extra)

Press "Green" to save if you have made any changes. Once you are back on the main Backup Manager screen you are ready to make a backup.

Press "Green" to make a New Backup and you will prompted with a confirmation box

Press "Yes" and the backup process will start like and you will be returned back to the main backup manager screen below

The backup process will run in the background but if you want to view it just press "Green" to View Progress

This will take a few minutes to process and once done you will see the Finished screen

Just press OK to return to the main backup manager screen.

You might notice that there is nothing in there, if that is the case press "Red" to Refresh List and you should now see your backup

Now you can restore these settings right from the Backup Manager screen at any time by pressing "Yellow" to Restore. Or you can restore these settings after doing a new flash of the ViX Image right from the restore wizard.

NOTE:
The restore wizard only finds (and hence restores) the latest backed up settings. If you want to restore older setting, just say "No" to the restore wizard, you end up with a "clean" system. You can then enter the Backup Manager, select the desired settings and restore them in the live-system.

the latest backed up settings that the wizard would restore in my case from the screenshot above would be

vuduo-enigma2settingsbackup.tar.gz

And thats that :p

The Image Manager tutorial is below :D

punisher
21-07-11, 15:24
Image Manager

To backup your entire image ready for a new flash or a restore you need to get to the Image Manager which can be found in Blue Button/VIX/Image Manager

Once in there you will either see an empty screen or something like mine below

Now first you need to set this up again like you did the Backup Manager. so press "Menu" on your remote to bring up the settings page

Chose where you want to store the backup (mine is on USB) and selected whether you want daily/weekly/montly backups (i have chose daily backup at 7am) and then "Green" to save the settings and return to the main screen.

Now press "Green" to do a New Backup and you will be prompted with a confirmation box, just press "Yes"

Again just like the Backup Manager you will be returned to the main screen as the backup runs in the background for a few minutes.

To view the backup, press "Green" to View Progress and you will be shown the progress bar like below

You can press "Blue" to continue in the background or wait for it to finish and once completed press "OK"

once you are back to the main screen, again it might be empty

so just press "Red" to Refresh List and you will now see your new backup dated todays date at the beginning.

Now you can restore the image from the Image Manager by pressing "Yellow"

or you can ftp into media/usb (where i stored my backups) and copy the backup onto another usb and flash the image that way too.

Enjoy the tutorials guys. Any questions then dont hesitate to ask.

:D

punisher
21-07-11, 22:06
just noticed the cartoons in the background lmao

Stanman
22-07-11, 10:54
Handy Manny, you kids will be speaking Spanish in no time:D

punisher
22-07-11, 10:55
she already a confused baby lol