PDA

View Full Version : Humming coming from Duo

redout
21-07-11, 18:12
Noticed last night that there is a humming noise coming from the Duo whilst in standby.

Its definitely not the fan as I can clearly hear that knock off when I go into standby and it is not the HDD neither.

Anyone know what the noise is and how to silence it?

digidude
21-07-11, 18:34
it could be electrical hum, from the power supply transformer. if it is this, you could try bits of foam or cut up mouse mat under the feet, you could also try placing a magnet above the transformer, not too strong one though, or itll amplify it, but, doing this also introduces electrical ripple into the circuits, which will shorten the lifespan of the power supply capacitors.

could it be the fan running slowly? try disconnecting everything, fan, hdd, and see if its still there (leave the lid off) if it is, unplug the dish feeds (to lower the current drawn from the power supply) and if its still there, unplug the power supply (!!!WITH THE POWER TURNED OFF!!!) from the main board, and power it all back up and see if its still there, if it still hums with nothing (inc mainboard) connected, then the power supply is close to failing.

redout
21-07-11, 23:13
Pretty sure it aint the fan as I can clearly hear that switch off when I put the box into standby.

Also held my hand over the back of the box to make sure and there is no airflow.

Alias1
22-07-11, 00:32
Power Supply on the way out

redout
22-07-11, 00:35
Power Supply on the way out

I sure as well hope not - only purchased the box new yesterday!

basilyoung
22-07-11, 02:00
cable interferance??