PDA

View Full Version : Autoresolution plugin: to use or not to use it, that's the question... :/

mauri
19-07-11, 20:48
Hi there,

I have a Panny TX-55VT30, which is full HD screen. My question is: how can I enable my Vu+Duo to output the native resolution of the respective channel, and let my TV do the upscaling.
The menu of my VIX 2.2 is somehow confusing, because you have to separate menus to tweak these settings: the A/V settings which I have it as:
video output: HDMI
mode 1080i
Refresh: multi

While on my autoresolution plugin I have its default settings.

The reason of my question is the info that is displayed when I zap between SD/HD 720p or HD 1080i:
videocontent: it shows the resolution of the material being played/broadcasted
videomode: shows the resolution setting that I've chosen in the A/V settings, in my case: 1080i multi.

Does this mean that the box is doing the upscale of every SD material and 720p material into 1080i?
If so, how can I make my TV do the upscale?
Which are the correct settings to do that?

cheers.

p.s. I did read some other threads but they left more confused than before... ;S

punisher
19-07-11, 21:06
tagged and moved to right section

mauri
22-07-11, 18:45
Anyone who knows the right setting? please.

mauri
28-07-11, 12:12
no one? :(

belierzz
31-07-11, 16:15
As far as I see your box scales SD content and not your TV as you have supposed already. You should setup the plugin that the output is mainly identical to the output. Why should your box / TV set scale something like 720p to 1080i. That's no improvement in picture quality. PM me your e-mail adress and I will send you a quick start guide that works quite well for the autoresolution plugin. Afterwards you can decide to keep it or not.

belierzz
31-07-11, 18:12
"You should setup the plugin that the output is mainly identical to the INPUT of the box." of course...

I personally use the plugin and I'm very pleased with the results.

lscolman
11-11-12, 18:51
Hi,
Is there any chance of posting that guide on the forums please?

I'm not able to send you a PM?

Cheers, Lee

MarsArtis
12-11-12, 21:53
As far as I see your box scales SD content and not your TV as you have supposed already. You should setup the plugin that the output is mainly identical to the output. Why should your box / TV set scale something like 720p to 1080i. That's no improvement in picture quality. PM me your e-mail adress and I will send you a quick start guide that works quite well for the autoresolution plugin. Afterwards you can decide to keep it or not.

Would it be possible for you to share this guide with the community, please?

belierzz
13-11-12, 07:24
PM should now work...

Silent
14-11-12, 02:27
I think Mauri means from the SD streams which are < 1080i, the box up scales it. I assume the reason he wants the TV to up scale it is because the TV is better at it.

For example, when I want to watch SD channels (I try and avoid these in general lol) that are available on Freeview, I switch the input to Freeview as the picture is miles better with my Panasonic G20 up scaling the picture, rather than my Duo.

As far as I know, there's nothing you can do it about it.

Rob van der Does
14-11-12, 05:41
Regarding PQ the best thing to do is to set AR to match output with input. That means the box does no scaling at all, an the TV knows how to handle each resolution the best way.

There is however one major drawback: on every change in resolution the TV will take some time to adjust. That means that zapping is much slower if you zap to services with different outputs.

Silent
14-11-12, 12:43
Thanks Rob - I'll give the plugin ago when I get home from the states on Friday and see how long it takes.

Rob van der Does
14-11-12, 12:58
Of course that also depends on how often you switch between services with different resolutions.
And how slow/fast your telly is when switching inputs.

Edit: of course the most important thing is if you experience any real improvement in PQ when the TV is presented the original video-stream.