PDA

View Full Version : TM-5402 vs TM 800

Strelock
17-07-11, 13:44
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a new satellite receiver and I'm pretty sure I'll get a Technomate due to its features for price. The question remaining for me is if I should prefer 5402 (non linux) over 800 (linux box) or visa versa. Could you, please, state your thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of either?

I'm not planning to use it for anything fancy, but to get signal from four LNBs and Viasat HD channels which are using MPEG-4 HD/Videoguard.

Thanks,

world-of-satellite.co.uk
17-07-11, 13:52
Either will do what your looking for. A Linux receiver is more customisable. If you just want a basic receiver the TM5402 will be fine. Another one to consider is the ET5000, but again, depends what you want from the receiver. ET5000 has a ViX Team image, so loads of extra features ;) http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9034-ViX-Team-ET5000-Image-v2.2-11-06-2011-Discussion

Strelock
17-07-11, 16:15
Thanks! I'm generally a linux guy, but not sure I want to customize sat receiver )))) any other thoughts anyone?

Strelock
17-07-11, 16:20
Thanks! BTW what about BM7000S compared to TM-5402? And would TM-5402 play movies from memory stick?

Sicilian
17-07-11, 16:32
The BM7000S and the TM-5402 are vitually identical.

digidude
17-07-11, 16:50
the 5402 plays divx, avi, mkv from a memory stick, also has youtube and net radio streaming

digi247
17-07-11, 17:18
The TM5402 is better specced than the Blade but currntly the blade has a feature to let you strem movies from your PC that the 5402 cannot, I have heard this is being looked into though.

My personal opinion is the 5402 if you dont want a linux box.

Stanman
17-07-11, 19:06
If your want a linux box than I would wholeheartily recommend the ET5000 over the TM800, the image is far superior than any for the TM800.
If budget is not an issue, personally I would go for a linux box as more versatile and adaptable.

Strelock
18-07-11, 20:50
Guys, thanks all for help, but as I'm new to this I'm still struggling to see what are advantages of linux box. I'm not going to do anything "funny" that shouldn't be discussed any way. What's the cool stuff I'd be able to do in linux box that I over wise can't?

jjp2701
18-07-11, 21:03
Guys, thanks all for help, but as I'm new to this I'm still struggling to see what are advantages of linux box. I'm not going to do anything "funny" that shouldn't be discussed any way. What's the cool stuff I'd be able to do in linux box that I over wise can't?

google is your friend strelock m8, and alot more by the way

Larry-G
18-07-11, 21:16

the fact that the box is running a linux based operating system opens it up to a world of possibilities that you can not otherwise get.
personally i would never own a non linux box again after using dreamboxes / TM'S and now a Vu+Uno for the last 10 years and counting.

Strelock
19-07-11, 19:36
the fact that the box is running a linux based operating system opens it up to a world of possibilities that you can not otherwise get.
personally i would never own a non linux box again after using dreamboxes / TM'S and now a Vu+Uno for the last 10 years and counting.

I understand that there are MORE possibilities, but no one really said what they are ))))
The way I understand there is no "proper" I mean java / flash supporting browser for example.

So what is exactly there in the "world of possibilities" (again except for funny stuff)?