PDA

View Full Version : Image Backup

psionguy
17-07-11, 13:33
Has anyone tried to use the Image backup feature on Vix 2.2?

No problem creating the image, but when you try to restore it comes up with an error message "not compatible with this version of Vix"

Larry-G
17-07-11, 14:03
i create daily backups using VIX 2.2 and have flashed them back many times all without problems, although when i load the backup onto the box i copy it to a USB stick and install it as i would a new image.

Stanman
17-07-11, 19:12
I dont believe you can restore the image from within the box, you need to flash via USB, only settings can be done that way.

Alec
17-07-11, 20:55
It does not restore, and when I tried to transfer it from a HD to a USB, it was around 30 MB. I tried to load it with the USB and it seems to go through the motions,but after I took out the USB and started. It just shown the loading indication, after 15 mins I put on the original from another USB.

psionguy
18-07-11, 13:08
I dont believe you can restore the image from within the box, you need to flash via USB, only settings can be done that way.

The Image restore feature did work on Vix 2.1, as I have used it many times. Such a great feature as you can restore your box back in a few minutes, with all your settings Ccam, and addons as they were.

Will give the USB option a try.

pooface
18-07-11, 15:00
The Image restore feature did work on Vix 2.1, as I have used it many times. Such a great feature as you can restore your box back in a few minutes, with all your settings Ccam, and addons as they were.

Will give the USB option a try.

This was a bug that we sorted out a while back... Thought it was only broken in the beta's, but looks like it might've been the public release too then?!

Should be working fine in latest release (not too long now hopefully ;))

Dvsat
18-07-11, 18:08
The Image-backup works fine, but directly it's better to use the "systemplugins-backupsuite 4.6" (Dutch or Eng.) from @Pedro-Newbie. The BackUp goes directly to USB !

punisher
18-07-11, 18:15
ive set my backups to go directly to the usb and it does a daily backup. then when i need to restore i move the folder to root and just reboot and it starts the backup, then i remove usb all done :p

Dvsat
18-07-11, 18:26
You describe exactly the extra step "when i need to restore i move the folder to root "
This is not necessary, if you need a reload or flash, put simply the USB-backup only.
No copy or move the folder, simpel use the mentioned plugin.

punisher
18-07-11, 18:31
yeh i know what u mean but i dont like adding plugins and extras that i dont need. the vix image manager is more than enough for me :p its personal preference really

pooface
18-07-11, 18:35
You describe exactly the extra step "when i need to restore i move the folder to root "
This is not necessary, if you need a reload or flash, put simply the USB-backup only.
No copy or move the folder, simpel use the mentioned plugin.

With the vix plugin, u can restore simply by pressing the "restore image" coloured button... No need to install another plugin. Just it appears the bug must've slipped in to public image, not just beta...

Sent with Tapatalk

punisher
18-07-11, 18:37
yeh i forgot that part lmao

psionguy
20-07-11, 09:59
yeh i know what u mean but i dont like adding plugins and extras that i dont need. the vix image manager is more than enough for me :p its personal preference really

Have to agree, I am using the backup feature but only as the image restore is not working. For both speed and reliability the Image backup feature is without doubt the best option for a quick and painless recovery. Look forward to the fix on the next update.

andyblac
24-07-11, 11:50
With the vix plugin, u can restore simply by pressing the "restore image" coloured button... No need to install another plugin. Just it appears the bug must've slipped in to public image, not just beta...

Sent with Tapatalk

as far as i know the image restore is working perfectly fine. using ViX

DeGea468
25-10-11, 18:20
i create daily backups using VIX 2.2 and have flashed them back many times all without problems, although when i load the backup onto the box i copy it to a USB stick and install it as i would a new image. Thats cool never knew you could do that very useful info/feature.. Better than using restore in image manager.

You say you take daily backups, How many backups are saved before the oldest backup gets deleted/replaced? or does it continue to save backups till you manually delete the old ones? or does it save up to a certain MB?

I save both backups to usb and wouldn't want my usb filling up with old backups. if it save up to a certain MB thats good

Larry-G
25-10-11, 18:26
i have a 16gb usb stick in the rear of the box and perform a daily backup via the image manager and backup manager, each new backup is named with the date as per the way the VIX image creates them so i can easily go through and find the one i want. i can easily go into the folder where they are saved and delete which ever ones i dont need or want any more.

when i want to use a specific backup i just FTP into the box and place the image into /vuplus on the usb stick, then reboot the box and follow the usual method to setup the image. you can set it up to make automatic backups at a specific time of your choosing but i prefer to to it my self manually.

DeGea468
25-10-11, 18:50
i have a 16gb usb stick in the rear of the box and perform a daily backup via the image manager and backup manager, each new backup is named with the date as per the way the VIX image creates them so i can easily go through and find the one i want. i can easily go into the folder where they are saved and delete which ever ones i dont need or want any more.

when i want to use a specific backup i just FTP into the box and place the image into /vuplus on the usb stick, then reboot the box and follow the usual method to setup the image. you can set it up to make automatic backups at a specific time of your choosing but i prefer to to it my self manually.Thanks for the explanation, Sounds like it will keep saving backups till the older ones are deleted manually. If it only saved up to a certain MB/GB or only save up to a certain number of back ups i think that would be a good option

Stanman
25-10-11, 18:52
In which case, do a manual backup before you make any changes, that is what I do.

DeGea468
25-10-11, 19:19
In which case, do a manual backup before you make any changes, that is what I do.Yep that's what i'll be doing, Manual backups before changes are made, Then once everything is okay with the changes made i'll make another backup (keeping the backup made before of course just in case)