PDA

View Full Version : My VU+ Uno review

Sicilian
10-07-11, 11:04
Finally got round to setting up my VU+ Uno :)

First impressions when unpacking is that the Uno lives up to VU+’s other models in terms of build quality etc... One thing I’m really happy with is the looks, think it looks like a classy receiver, looks really smart in my opinion.

Fitted HDD and Connected up to motor dish, flashing ViX was a breeze, simply follow on screen instructions shown on the display. Transferred my Enigma 2 settings and I was up and running in less that 5 mins!

Picture quality is excellent in both SD & HD. Universal remote is a nice feature if you would like to be able to control your TV with the same remote. Zapping times are super fast, approx 1.63 seconds!

Scanning satellites is working is working spot on, just as good as my other Enigma 2 receivers. I believe the tuner is blindscan capable but this is not currently enabled within the Uno drivers.

If I’m honest I just can’t fault anything about the VU+ Uno, although some critics will say that it’s priced a little high for a single tuner without actually looking at the specification of the receiver. Yes the Duo is only approx £40 more than the Uno, but it’s not got the spec that the Uno has! The main thing the Duo has over the Uno is that it’s a twin tuner. Personally I think VU+ has got the price spot on now that I’ve actually looked at the specs and actually used one.

I think the Uno will be extremely popular to enthusiasts that simply don’t want a twin tuner, yet want a top class Enigma 2 receiver with an excellent VFD (front display), the ability to install an internal SATA HDD and use plug & play tuners. At £299 in my opinion its worth every penny! Especially with the ViX images coming to the Uno very soon!

Order yours from our sponsor http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Uno-Single-Tuner-HD-DVB-S2-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receiver

If anyone would like to ask any questions about the Uno please go ahead and I'll do my best to answer them.

digidude
10-07-11, 11:11
will it play media such as divx and mkv files from connected USB or internal drive if the files are FTP'd over?

Sicilian
10-07-11, 11:18
will it play media such as divx and mkv files from connected USB or internal drive if the files are FTP'd over?

1080 mkv's perfect, just grabbing a divx file now.

Larry-G
10-07-11, 11:19
i have been using the Uno now for maybe 3 months now and i have to say i agree with your conclusions, i my self have been a sat geek for 20 plus years although this receiver is my first venture into the E2 side of things.

the initial setup was very easy although i had a few teething problems with my motor but it's knocking on 10 years old so i can forgive that and our very own silverfox so kindly donated another to me ( which i'm ashamed to say i still have not had time to fit sorry ). any way. once i got the box up and running i was immensely impressed.

the difference between the older E1 boxes and this are not only in a different league i'd go so far as to say there in a different galaxy to one another. never once had i thought that the E2 operating system would be such a improvement over the E1 system, especially the ability to create a USB backup of my current setup and have it booted and running in under 5 minutes. thats a real lfe saver for me as i tend to throw all kinds of junk on the box to see if i can kill the OS in some way ( not a particularly easy task while using VIX as even the most stubborn greenscreen boot loop i have encountered was easily fixed with a 2 minute FTP session ).

so far i am immensely impressed with the performance of this box and i can see it being another hit with the end users as with it's elder siblings the Duo and the Solo.

for any user wishing to know which hardware cams work or dont as the case may be with the Uno please refer to this thread

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8719-Vu-Uno-CAMS-(-hardware-not-softcams-)&highlight=cams

Sicilian
10-07-11, 11:30

Just played xvid file perfect ;)

JosFop4Sat
10-07-11, 11:46

I have Enhanced Movie Center on my Uno and it plays 99% of the movies I have with .srt subtitles. You also have to install seekbar to prevent subtitle loss after fast forward.
It's a nice and fast reacting box. I have a prototype Uno for 3 months with two P&P tuners installed.

Sicilian
10-07-11, 11:50
I have Enhanced Movie Center on my Uno and it plays 99% of the movies I have with .srt subtitles. You also have to install seekbar to prevent subtitle loss after fast forward.
It's a nice and fast reacting box. I have a prototype Uno for 3 months with two P&P tuners installed.

I've had this from VU+ for around a month now, but thought I'd wait until release to post a review.

Larry-G
10-07-11, 11:53

yes agreed, ive also had my box from Vu+ for 3 months although the model i got was the next one on with single tuner and a blanked out second slot.

JosFop4Sat
10-07-11, 11:55
Yes and sometimes it was hard to wait to do it...:cool:

punisher
10-07-11, 12:20
u shud take sum pics internal/external :p

Sicilian
10-07-11, 14:24
u shud take sum pics internal/external :p

Will do in the couple of days. In the meantime here's the official spec sheet with official pictures.

belierzz
10-07-11, 14:41
Is there already a VIX image avilable for the UNO? Nothing found in the board so far...

Anyway, great box and running very well, also with VTi 3.0 :)

Sicilian
10-07-11, 14:45
Is there already a VIX image avilable for the UNO? Nothing found in the board so far...

ViX image not too far away ;)

pooface
10-07-11, 14:45

Not released yet... Soon tho ;)

[Edit]
Bah, Sic beat me to it :p

theinvoice
10-07-11, 15:56
Ordered my one from World-of-satellite on Friday. Just waiting for this Baby to arrive. :D

Larry-G
10-07-11, 16:39
Ordered my one from World-of-satellite on Friday. Just waiting for this Baby to arrive. :D

congratulations on your new purchase, you wont be disappointing with the Uno when it arrives.

jassie
10-07-11, 23:16
Hi guys for the slower simplistic ones like me, what are the main noticable differences between the uno and solo? Also is there any news on the release of the ultimo as I am waiting to upgrade my duo, thanks

Sicilian
11-07-11, 05:25
Hi guys for the slower simplistic ones like me, what are the main noticable differences between the uno and solo? Also is there any news on the release of the ultimo as I am waiting to upgrade my duo, thanks

Solo spec here http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/VU/Vu-SOLO-Single-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-Satellite-Receiver

Uno spec here http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/VU/VU-Uno-Single-Tuner-HD-DVB-S2-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receiver

The features the Uno has over the Solo are: -

Front Display
Option to fit Internal SATA HDD
More powerful CPU Broadcom BM7413
More Ram
Dual Card readers
Rear eSata port
F Type loop through
Removable power cord

You really cant compare the Solo to the Uno, the Uno is in a different league.

Exact release date for the Ultimo has not been announced yet.

JosFop4Sat
11-07-11, 11:24
I am not allowed to show pictures from the first test serie UNO.
When the final version arrives here this week I can make some pictures.

I have some issues with startup, but I will ask this later when the VIX image is finished.
With VTI, my box can't be started from deep sleep mode.
But, as I said before, I have not yet the final hardware version.

Sicilian
11-07-11, 11:32
I am not allowed to show pictures from the first test serie UNO.
When the final version arrives here this week I can make some pictures.

I'll try post some photo's this evening, mines a production model.

easy
11-07-11, 21:17
Hi there,with this receiver,can you make it into a twin tuner or is there only one slot?

Regards.....:)

pooface
11-07-11, 21:43
Hi there,with this receiver,can you make it into a twin tuner or is there only one slot?

Regards.....:)

There's only 1 slot, that's pnp ... Either dvb-s/c/t...

Sicilian
12-07-11, 15:24
Been playing around with the Uno remote. The multi-funtion part of it works well. Set the code on the remote to control my TV, so can now use the Uno remote to control the following functions on my TV: -

Power on/off
Volume
A/V inputs

pooface
12-07-11, 20:17
Been playing around with the Uno remote. The multi-funtion part of it works well. Set the code on the remote to control my TV, so can now use the Uno remote to control the following functions on my TV: -

Power on/off
Volume
A/V inputs

Out of interest, does it work like the sky remote, where the volume is the tv, no matter what (i.e. not the satellite volume at all), or do you have to press the tv button like on the et9000/dreambox remotes?

Sicilian
12-07-11, 20:30
Works like a sky remote, the volume is always the TV volume ;)

Huevos
28-07-11, 12:26
Does the Uno remote interfere with the Duo, or are they completely separate codes?

pooface
28-07-11, 13:25
From what I remember reading, it can act as either. U can set up codes to be same as duo/solo, or have as seperate codes...

Sent with Tapatalk

Sicilian
28-07-11, 13:38
Does the Uno remote interfere with the Duo, or are they completely separate codes?

I'll need to look into that, you got me thinking now.

Huevos
28-07-11, 21:49
Ok, I just wanted to know before buying one as it would be in the same room as the Duo.

Sicilian
29-07-11, 06:49
Ok, I just wanted to know before buying one as it would be in the same room as the Duo.

Read page 71 of the manual here ;) http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9578-Vu-Uno-Manual

Huevos
29-07-11, 09:33
Read page 71 of the manual here ;) http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9578-Vu-Uno-ManualThanks! So it looks like I can control the Duo, Uno, and TV all with same remote, although it means a few button presses to flick between the Uno and Duo. Right now I've got too many remotes so this will be really helpful.