PDA

View Full Version : Basic newbie questions ???

asif69
25-03-10, 22:05
What size & make of dish to install ?
If motorised what's the best motor?
What's the best lnb to get?

How much should install cost?

Can you record and watch a different channel with this box?

Thank-you for reading my post

:) :)

asif69
25-03-10, 22:09
Forgot to ask also does the box work well with homeplugs and if so what make is recommended ?

Sicilian
25-03-10, 22:17
Dish size depends on what satellite you would like to tune into, I'd say fir the largest you can get away with. I use a 1.1m Triax, fantastic dish.

Motor go with a TM-2600, all metal gears on this baby :)

LNB, with something like this one you can record one channel, whilst watching another as it has dual output http://www.*********.co.uk/LNBs-and-Switches/c43/p365/Inverto-0.2dB-Black-Premium-Twin-Output-LNB/product_info.html

Install, I'd say shop around. Also price could vary on the site where being installed.

Yes homeplugs should work fine for internet connection, cant advise on a brand as I never used them. If you've got wifi at home you could use one of these http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/wli-tx4-g54hp-wireless-g-mimo-performance-ethernet-converter/

asif69
25-03-10, 22:24
Thanks for the reply....I'm still at an early stage in my set up so all feedback is good however i could be in for a long wait since this box is out of stock virtually everywhere !!!

Still it give me time to read up an other people's thoughts and experiences on this box !!!

Sicilian
25-03-10, 22:28
Thanks for the reply....I'm still at an early stage in my set up so all feedback is good however i could be in for a long wait since this box is out of stock virtually everywhere !!!

That's because this receiver is the only dual tuner receiver that legally runs Engima2 and is priced reasonably :)

asif69
25-03-10, 23:08
Create Your Own Advanced Motorised Satellite System
-- --
Dish Size Required - Dish Size: 100cm Dish (Larger For Better Gain) 1
?58.72
Inverto 2dB Monoblock LNB 6 deg Offset (Astra 19 And Hotbird 13) 1
?25.22
Technomate TM-2600 Super DiSEqC Motor All Metal Drive 1
?55.28
TK BRACKET SET 24 inch Stand Off Including 3FTx2" Pole And UBolts 1
?35.73
5x Satellite Fixing Bolts And Sleeves For TK Brackets 1
?3.19
Cable And Connectors - Cable And Connectors: 10m CAI Approved Cable And Connectors 1
?6.96
Add Cable Clips - Add Cable Clips: Add Cable Clips x10 1
?0.25
Full Motorised Installation - Full Motorised Installation Area: Motorised Install SE London Area 1
?187.23
Subtotal ?372.58
VAT ?65.20
Total ?437.78

and with the vu box if and when its in stock avg price seems to be around the ?400 mark

so all in ?850 !!!

Sicilian
25-03-10, 23:12
First off you'll a top of the range receiver, top motor, top dish, top lnb. To me the installation looks too expensive. Shop around, I'm sure you could find someone to install for 100 quid.

asif69
25-03-10, 23:17
If i'm only gonna do it once then your right its best to get the best equipment and i look at it as a one off cost...just out of curiosity can we still use a standard sky dish i know that will only limit my choice but will the box still work with a sky dish ?

Sicilian
25-03-10, 23:18
yea off course, if it got twin out put LNB you can still record one channel, whilst watching another.

asif69
25-03-10, 23:21
Thanks i think that will be all for tonite after asking so many questions i'm off to watch QUESTION TIME and i'll be back in the next few days once again thanks for all your help Sicilian :) :)

Sicilian
25-03-10, 23:24
Happy to help :)

grtmoby
26-03-10, 14:52
Talking about the inverto LNB (Inverto-0.2dB-Black-Premium-Twin-Output-LNB) which I wanted too, I contacted Inverto and they advised that this LNB is not compatible with a motorized (prime focus) dish.

May be you need to confirm this...

bobonthejob
26-03-10, 15:40
hey mate, give the below a whirl...

does a great 80 cm dish pack. Ive had my box and dish kit from them. Quality service.

www.*********.co.uk

Shop around for the fitting though....

Ive got someone in leicestercharging ?65 including materials...

grtmoby
27-03-10, 11:13
Bob...

you are using the inverto lnb on a motorized dish, is it working good. if so, why did inverto themselves said it won't?

Peter
28-03-10, 14:05

That's because this receiver is the only dual tuner receiver that legally runs Engima2 and is priced reasonably :)

Hope I'm not knobbling somebody else's thread here. As an absolute newbie and old, is the box this forum is based upon likely to be usable by someone like me. Ain't got a clue about Linux and use Macs so am out on a limb a bit. Also; is a serial connection required as on a laptop I don't have one; plus which sat Shop is the forum's sponsor or where to buy when available. Use a patched TM 69899 at present. Thanks for in advance any help. Peter

Monty
28-03-10, 14:29
Peter.
Flashing the box can be done via a USB memory stick, and tranferring stuff to and from the box can be done via an FTP client over ethernet.
I know less than nothing about Linux, but have managed with dreamboxes for a few years and this box operates the same way.

Peter
28-03-10, 14:40
Thanks for that. What about the 'Secure Shell' aspect which I believe applies ?

Monty
28-03-10, 14:48
Thanks for that. What about the 'Secure Shell' aspect which I believe applies ?

Yes, I use telnet for any commands needed, but i find any info on what's needed and what to do just by searching forums like these :)
If this does not cover your question, there are many other more here with the answers you seek.

Peter
28-03-10, 16:59
Yep. Been doing that for years on various methods: Cards, Cams, Patches and more but never had to use Secure Shell.
Just wondered what it means. Purpose of question. Read it up now but when you get older
thinks are harder to fully appreciate. Something to do with bran cells dying I'm told ;D

Monty
28-03-10, 17:10
Peter.
I don't know what age you are but I am no spring chicken :)
Don't you be worrying about 'Secure Shell', you will manage.
I did get a little confused at you wording but thats' due to my age :)

asif69
29-03-10, 21:25
ok might have an issue with planning permission for a 1.1 m dish is anyone using this recevier with a dish size of 80cm-90cm and if so any issues ??

Retired member
29-03-10, 22:06
There will be no issue with using it with any size dish as such, it's not down to the receiver itself that will be happy with whatever dish you connect, dish size depends on the satellites you want to receive and where abouts you are in the country as to the size you need. General rule though is size does matter!!! But that's not to say a slightly smaller dish is not going to be of use....

Also suprised at the info you've got from Inverto regarding the LNB, we've sold a few twin output LNB for use with the our motorised dish packs without problem as I think bobonthejob can confirm, maybe you just got the wrong person on the other end at Inverto or something, but should not be an issue at all, ideal for the VU+ to make use of the second tuner assuming you don't have a second dish to connect.

asif69
29-03-10, 23:04
"ideal for the VU+ to make use of the second tuner assuming you don't have a second dish to connect."

Is the above the main difference between the duo & the solo ?

On the solo can you record one channel and watch another and if so does that still require a twin lnb basically like sly+ & sly hd connections ?

Sicilian
30-03-10, 06:06
Solo will be single tuner, so you will not able to record /watch a second channel.

Retired member
30-03-10, 09:13
That's right SOLO will be a single tuner, other main differences will be no front panel display and only a single scart socket on the back. We don't expect to see any stock of the SOLO until at least May at the moment.

bobonthejob
30-03-10, 09:27
One obvious thing i miss from these boxes is the on/off button.

Why not have one of them.? Why? aggghhh. What it if you lose your remote?

grtmoby
30-03-10, 14:44
One obvious thing i miss from these boxes is the on/off button.

aggghhh. What it if you lose your remote?

buy a new remote, and so people can make money ;D

bobonthejob
31-03-10, 11:18
doh!....damn them :D

kingy29
31-03-10, 14:20
Bob...

you are using the inverto lnb on a motorized dish, is it working good. if so, why did inverto themselves said it won't?

I have just installed a Inverto Black Prenium Quad Lnb with a motorised system and it works great hope this helps

satsedhu
28-10-11, 04:47
Friends,How many satellites we connect in VU+ Solo receiver?

Stanman
28-10-11, 13:48
Friends,How many satellites we connect in VU+ Solo receiver?

As many as you want, it depends on your dish and bouquets that you have loaded.

If your talking about thw wire into the box from the dish - than only one

Also please do not use highlighted text for normal posts, it can be difficult to read and does not enhance the answer you will get.

satsedhu
28-10-11, 23:24
Thank you stanman brother.I received my box today.I have no basic knowledge on it.I am in India.Can I add satellites manually to the Vu+solo receivers?

How?I don't have motorized dish.Pl.guide me.Thanks.

satsedhu
28-10-11, 23:25
I am waiting for your kind guidance.Pl.explain it.

basilyoung
28-10-11, 23:44
I am waiting for your kind guidance.Pl.explain it.

first of all you are in the southern hemispher, most of us are in the northern hemispher, so not sure what sats you can get, but assuming
your dish is aligned to a sat, you will be able to scan it into your unit, it would help if you can say what sat it is that you wish to connect too

satsedhu
29-10-11, 00:00
Thanks brother,I want to add Asiasat@100.5,NSS 6 @95East,Measat @ 91.5East.Can I edit satellite and add these sats on solo box?

basilyoung
29-10-11, 00:13
Thanks brother,I want to add Asiasat@100.5,NSS 6 @95East,Measat @ 91.5East.Can I edit satellite and add these sats on solo box?

http://satellites-xml.eu/

I think your best bet is to copy the link I have posted, go to that site, and download a sat xml file that includes the sats you need,
I am not sure what image you have on your unit, and that would help us help you, if you told us, ie; VIX image?? or a Basic image that came with the unit
you will salso need an FTP programe, so once you have the file, you can transferr it to the unit
the file would normally go in a folder called ETC if its the VIX image on the unit

satsedhu
29-10-11, 00:22
Basic image brother.

basilyoung
29-10-11, 00:32
its very late here, but think you first need to update your image to VIX, once loaded, you need to update it, via blue button..select the VIX option, and within the option, "update"

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9742-ViX-Team-VU-Solo-Image-v2.2.100-21-07-2011

also you need to do some reading, the various "stickies" in the VU+ solo section will be of great help to you

satsedhu
29-10-11, 00:34
Dear basilyoung I am totally confused.I did't see before these type of mostly advanced receivers.I want your full help to install my receiver.Pl.My knowledge is 0 about these type of receiver.My hobby is only satellite tracking.I can take signals in my place from Telstar @ 138East to Paksat @ 38 East.I have openbox s-10 receiver.It is very simple.China made.

I am waiting for your reply.

satsedhu
29-10-11, 00:37
Dear bro,I am from India and where are you?

basilyoung
29-10-11, 00:38
its very late here, but think you first need to update your image to VIX, once loaded, you need to update it, via blue button..select the VIX option, and within the option, "update"

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9742-ViX-Team-VU-Solo-Image-v2.2.100-21-07-2011

also you need to do some reading, the various "stickies" in the VU+ solo section will be of great help to you

satsedhu
29-10-11, 00:54
I downloaded image of vix.It is a zip file.Which format I should extract?Can I copy it on a pen drive and update it to the box?

basilyoung
29-10-11, 00:57
unzip it, once you have, you need to copy the folder to the pen drive,( fat 3 ) then put the drive onto the unit, and reboot, the unit will then rewrite itself to the new image

satsedhu
29-10-11, 01:10
This is arround 40 mb in size.It is now loading on the box.How much time take for loading?

basilyoung
29-10-11, 01:13
about 5 minutes max

satsedhu
29-10-11, 01:16
Brother where are you?

basilyoung
29-10-11, 01:19
going to bed soon

as i said, you need to do some reading, i can not fix your unit, until you have made the effort to read basic setup threads in the stickies area of the vu+ solo section

basilyoung
29-10-11, 01:20
going to bed soon

as i said, you need to do some reading, i can not fix your unit, until you have made the effort to read basic setup threads in the stickies area of the vu+ solo section

satsedhu
29-10-11, 01:20
After unzip it and copy with a pen drive.It is having one folder only.It is now loading.

satsedhu
29-10-11, 01:25
Ok.We will meet again.I"ll try my best.I go to study about this receiver fully.Any problem I'll call you later.

Thank you,Good night.

satsedhu
29-10-11, 01:26
Ok.We will meet again.I"ll try my best.I go to study about this receiver fully.Any problem I'll call you later.

Thank you,Good night.