PDA

View Full Version : What NAS storage do you use?

bobonthejob
14-06-10, 11:03
Hi all...

Im looking to pick up a NAS all in one...ideally 2 bays so that i can have a raid setup.

What are you guys out there using?

I was looking at the Synology DS209.

Thanks in advance.

OldSkulRide
14-06-10, 12:12
Iam using Synology DS110J.
These days i would def. buy Synology DS109 because it has 1,2Ghz CPU. DS110J only has 800Mhz.

steve1978
14-06-10, 12:21
I have a Lacie 2TB system, cost about 600 quid but had it for a while now. to be honest you are better of building one from an old PC, i have tried several NAS drives and the SMB ultra light linux OS is painfully Slow!!! (no good for streaming)

bobonthejob
14-06-10, 12:32
@OldSkulRide - I take it the ds209 would be very similar.... I wanted a raid setup to enusre i dont lose any data.

Need to find someone that will have a cheap priced one in stock :D

Sicilian
14-06-10, 12:46
I'd consider Steve1978's suggestion, you could use this as an OS
http://freenas.org/

OldSkulRide
14-06-10, 12:50
@OldSkulRide - I take it the ds209 would be very similar.... I wanted a raid setup to enusre i dont lose any data.

Need to find someone that will have a cheap priced one in stock :D

yep its the vey similar. 209 has two bays for HDD, everything else should be the same.

PC is also an option BUT if you buy synology or qnap NAS you will get quite a good device with great webinterface and many possibilities. Also these little devices consumes very little energy.

bobonthejob
14-06-10, 13:24
Yeah keeping it on all the while is what i was concerned about too. I know that these devices dont cosnume that much power in comparison to a PC.

I do have a Shuttle XPC SK41g - Its has a AMD Athlon 2000 processor with 256MB ram. Was considering using that...but it does not have Sata drives...Was thinkning the amount i spent on Hardware and all would prob just work out less than getting a NAS device.

If i get a NAS device then it is small, out of the way and will do all i neeed.

steve1978
14-06-10, 14:41
The OS on NAS drives are terrible. freenas is really good. trust me on this, ours has 4 500gb hard drives twin ethernet ports, it is the entry level NAS for real NAS drives (multi didk) transfer speeds are really poor, ours takes all night to do a back up.

get an old laptop. load itwith free nas and stick a usb drive on it. simple

bobonthejob
14-06-10, 15:34
Will considor that...back to shopping and looking around :D

green-manilishi
22-06-10, 17:40
I have 2 x Dlink DNS-323, one with 2 X 500gb stripped, the other with 2 x 1tb mirrored. I routinely steam from the NAS to PC but have yet to integrate my brand new shiney VU+ Duo into it.
I have both 100mbit and Giigabit, mixing is OK but I know I can get more from a dedicated Gigabit network (VU+ desiners are you listening)
Still dabling with various images and getting the best from my dishes.
Its a bit of a learning curve but this forum is a great resource.

Green