PDA

View Full Version : Which Media Player do you use and how do you rate it?

mauri
29-06-11, 22:26
The reason I am starting this thread is that I have used several of "Media Center/Players", but really happy with any of them.

- Project Valerie - never managed to get it to work (after I managed to copy/paste the extracted folders of the .ipkg installer of the latest revision (823), it hangs on the first movies that it scans during the first sync.

- easy media - used it when on VIX 1.3, but frankly don't remember the pros and cons of it
- Media player embedded on VIX image is short of features
- Suomipeka (or smth similar) kept on crashing my box.

Is there anything cool (similar to) like the Windows Media Center? :D

punisher
29-06-11, 22:31
i use project valerie which works really well for me and the vix movie player (just navigate to network storage and play movies)

sonc
29-06-11, 23:09
Project Valerie - works great on Black Hole. Been using it for a few months, syncs my recordings and NAS avi files with no real problems. Sometimes need to tweak a name for it to sync correctly with IMDB.org but otherwise I can't fault it.

irishchris
29-06-11, 23:13
vix movie player here all the way! perfect for stream from networked drive also :) found project valerie cumbersome to navigate but many like it though.

plusser
30-06-11, 15:25
I use the built in one because I don't really know of an alternative. Whereas the button next to the menu one works flawlessly for recorded "movies", the media player is hopeless.
How do I rate it? 3/10 is about the mark. It's a shame 'coz I love the quick navigation buttons (which don't work properly).

+er

Stanman
30-06-11, 18:03
I use the movie player not the media player to play all files. In movies if you select the folder at the very top, you can drill up to your network drive and it plays them faultessly, exactly the same as recorded files on the local drive.

pooface
30-06-11, 18:09
Like others, I use the actual recorded items from presssing the movielist button on the remotes. Plays mkvs, avis recordings, mp4 all perfectly fine...

hex_inc
02-07-11, 14:28
vix movie player does the job for me. can't see why you would need more features than those incorporated in this?

Bat
03-07-11, 16:44
Hi,
I like to play MP3s on my server through the DUO. I too would like a better media player than the built in one. Tried some others briefly but not found anything I like.
Cheers,
Gavin :)

mauri
04-07-11, 17:58
The movie player embedded in VIX is OK, I would personally rate it at 5, but it lacks almost all media center features, for i.e.:
- genre listing
- series listings/collapsing (yes, did try the plugin listed in VIX repositories but it used to crash my box)
- Independent web sites rating systems, like IMDB
- would have been nice to have posters and/or extensive description for each movie, stored in the movie folder, so when you browse your movie library, you may also want to read/check ratings/critics and or fun trivia about the movie/actors

I know that you could have some/any of the above via different pluggins (IMDB plugin which for me its and hit and miss, Series plugin - crashed my box, Project Valerie - which freezes when trying to make the first sync of the database), but to have a Media Center which has all the above features, would be a treat for anyone. I guess...