PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Canal+ HD (Telenor) channels on Thor

deckymckeown
24-06-11, 10:57
I have noticed over the last week or so, only in the evening time, i cannot receive any of the Canal Nordic HD channels on Thor. I am receving the SD channels at around 50% signal which is slightly less than the signal a few weeks ago.

Intial thoughts i was thinking that the dish was mis-aligned to this sat, ive tried moving slightly by remote and also manually at the dish itself, but still the same problem.

The LNB is only a couple of months old, so im thinking its not that, and the signal on other sats etc is fine.

That then leaves me to think that possibly it could be weather related, but i am having the same problem when its good weather also, and strange that it seems to be only in the evening time.

Is anyone else having similar problems, or can advise me as to what it could possibly be?

p.s im using the latest version of vix and have scanned for latest transponders etc if that helps

jcm193
24-06-11, 11:29
Funny enough I have noticed the same thing on my setup signal strength appears to he down by around 7% and I can not lock on at all in the evening now I was not sure it was bad iligment but it may a bit of both.

pooface
24-06-11, 11:41
I've just tried Canal + Film HD, and I get good signal on that (83%). Tested on Canal+ Action SD, and I'm getting 84% on that one. So, if you're not getting much more than 50% on SD channels, it could just be a signal problem.

What size dish do you have?

deckymckeown
24-06-11, 11:58
I've just tried Canal + Film HD, and I get good signal on that (83%). Tested on Canal+ Action SD, and I'm getting 84% on that one. So, if you're not getting much more than 50% on SD channels, it could just be a signal problem.

Its an 80cm dish mate, and ive had no problems up until lately. Also strange that in the day time im receving the HD channels with no problem, but in the evening time thats when i start to have the problems....

pooface
24-06-11, 12:10
Its an 80cm dish mate, and ive had no problems up until lately. Also strange that in the day time im receving the HD channels with no problem, but in the evening time thats when i start to have the problems....

I haven't done a rescan of channels on that satellite for a while, but wouldn't think that is the problem :s Do you know roughly what snr you used to have before? As mine is an 85cm dish in midlands. Where abouts are you located? Wouldn't expect you to have such a low snr :confused:

jcm193
24-06-11, 12:12

I would kill for a signal like that on canal hd the most I've ever got is 60% but strangle I get 85% rising to 90% at night for the SD stuff.

irishchris
24-06-11, 12:19
Since they moved canal film hd and canal sport hd to Thor 6 satellite last march I lost them with my 90cm dish is western ireland. I get 70% on all SD channels and n geographic hd etc. Do miss my canal film hd though as am paying full subscription but not getting it :(

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

pooface
24-06-11, 12:20
I would kill for a signal like that on canal hd the most I've ever got is 60% but strangle I get 85% rising to 90% at night for the SD stuff.

Where abouts are you located? I think that is a big thing for nordic satellites. Further south you are, less signal you'll receive... Looking at lyngsat maps, I am just on the verge of 65-85cm dish. Any further west/south, and you'll need a bigger dish, hence probably why getting less signal...

Since they moved canal film hd and canal sport hd to Thor 6 satellite last march I lost them with my 90cm dish is western ireland. I get 70% on all SD channels and n geographic hd etc. Do miss my canal film hd though as am paying full subscription but not getting it :(

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

That's fine, send me your card, I'll make full use of it ;) :p

jcm193
24-06-11, 12:24
I'm in south devon pooface I've got a 1.25 gibirtinti dish I think I will leave it at that for now, its works very well for 7w and 26 e as I can scan over 400 channels off both to be honest canal + has not been the same since it lost the footy rights.

deckymckeown
24-06-11, 13:41
I haven't done a rescan of channels on that satellite for a while, but wouldn't think that is the problem :s Do you know roughly what snr you used to have before? As mine is an 85cm dish in midlands. Where abouts are you located? Wouldn't expect you to have such a low snr :confused:

The snr before was around 70+ (at best), and have never had an issue before with my 80cm dish. Im in Belfast by the way........ still cant get my head around why it seems to be worse at night, and allow we had some rain last nite, generally over the last few weeks the weather here has been ok, so i dont think thats whats causing it. Maybe its snowing in Sweden/Norway, who knows lol.

Would like to get to the bottom of it though, i do like Canal+ HD and the TV2 PL channels.... im gonna get up the ladder later and try moving the dish manually again

jcm193
24-06-11, 13:52
It's very strange as I get 62% on tv2pl and it goes down to 56% in the rain.

pooface
24-06-11, 14:00
It's a As irishchris said ... they must've recently changed the satellite/beam it's sent from...

Try going to:

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints

Select 1w from the list of satellites, and then the beam you are looking for (Canal+ Film HD is on K1). Looking at my location, recommended dish size is 80cm. In belfast, it is apparantly also 80cm. Not sure what signal the recommended will give you tho? Click on cork and cardiff for example tho, will not give you a recommended dish size, as it's well out from what they are recommending I guesss?!

deckymckeown
24-06-11, 14:03
One other thing of note, when i am on an SD channel and go to positioner set up in the menu, the SNR is hovering around 50%. When i then change to a HD channel, Canal+ Film HD for example, the signal moves up and down and doesnt lock on at all.

But then when i go back to an SD channel and back to positioner setup the SNR is back to around 50% again.....

deckymckeown
24-06-11, 14:05
It's a As irishchris said ... they must've recently changed the satellite/beam it's sent from...

Try going to:

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints

Select 1w from the list of satellites, and then the beam you are looking for (Canal+ Film HD is on K1). Looking at my location, recommended dish size is 80cm. In belfast, it is apparantly also 80cm. Not sure what signal the recommended will give you tho? Click on cork and cardiff for example tho, will not give you a recommended dish size, as it's well out from what they are recommending I guesss?!

Thanks for info mate, il give this a try....

irishchris
24-06-11, 14:07
One other thing of note, when i am on an SD channel and go to positioner set up in the menu, the SNR is hovering around 50%. When i then change to a HD channel, Canal+ Film HD for example, the signal moves up and down and doesnt lock on at all.

But then when i go back to an SD channel and back to positioner setup the SNR is back to around 50% again.....

that is how non signal shows unfortunately with positioner. if it cant lock on to a signal it jumps up and down as opposed to staying at a static 0%. so from 70% to 0% is still only 0%

That's fine, send me your card, I'll make full use of it ;) :p

its in the post for you mate! oh crap post strike - oh well :)

deckymckeown
24-06-11, 14:24
that is how non signal shows unfortunately with positioner. if it cant lock on to a signal it jumps up and down as opposed to staying at a static 0%. so from 70% to 0% is still only 0%

I imagine then i am getting no signal on the HD channels as the signal needs to be stronger for HD channel to be received. I thought you would only run into problems though when the signal was less than 30%, perhaps i am wrong though?

Strange if im getting 50% on SD channel and no signal on HD channel?? Anyways, i think a wee trip up the ladder to move the dish a bit is whats needed.

Cheers for all the repsonses anyway, will keep you posted as to how i get on

jcm193
24-06-11, 14:39
You need a minimum of 55% get a watchable picture on canal hd and around 30% on SD channels for example mbc 26e but this seems to depend on factors like symbol rate and broadcast rate ie mbps this goes for the vu+duo anyway.

irishchris
24-06-11, 14:59
different channels on different transponders have totally different signal values. for example the beam which canal film hd is on is thor 6 k1 which is a lot more focussed and thus further south/west you are the weaker it is compared to say canal+ series sd which is fully recievable accorss uk/ireland

deckymckeown
24-06-11, 16:03
different channels on different transponders have totally different signal values. for example the beam which canal film hd is on is thor 6 k1 which is a lot more focussed and thus further south/west you are the weaker it is compared to say canal+ series sd which is fully recievable accorss uk/ireland

Just tried again for canal+ film HD before adjusting dish, im receiving it at 56% at present. TV2 PL1 HD is 61%, but im sure tonight again if like every other night il not be able to receive either!!

Weather here is only slight rain, dont imagine thats a factor at the minute

deckymckeown
24-06-11, 16:13
Just tried again for canal+ film HD before adjusting dish, im receiving it at 56% at present. TV2 PL1 HD is 61%, but im sure tonight again if like every other night il not be able to receive either!!

Weather here is only slight rain, dont imagine thats a factor at the minute

Oh and Canal+ Extra HD now showing 81% signal!!

jcm193
24-06-11, 16:29
Ive got 55% on Canal+ Film Hd,TV2 PL1 HD 60% and Canal+ Extra HD is at 94% it is very cloudy here mind

deckymckeown
24-06-11, 16:32
Now getting tune failed on Canal+ Film HD, SNR jumped from 39 to 0., TV2 PL1 HD 57%, Canal + Extra HD is now 78%......

its just started to rain heavier here, so im thinking this could be adding to the problem, but im also thinking ive a problem with dish being slighty mis-aligned too.

jcm193
24-06-11, 16:36
Thats the problem the rain as you know it makes such a difference,what lnb have you got.I sprayed my dish and lnb with wd 40 the other day hopefully it will help with the rain

deckymckeown
27-06-11, 12:59
Thats the problem the rain as you know it makes such a difference,what lnb have you got.I sprayed my dish and lnb with wd 40 the other day hopefully it will help with the rain

Hmmm never thought of that one, il give it a that a try to see if it makes a difference for me too. The lnb is a s*y standard quad lnb..... the last couple of days my signal has stayed around 57%, which would tie in with the fact that the weather has been a good bit drier here to.

Moved the dish and rotated the lnb slightly, but that hasnt seemed to make much of a difference. Lets hope it stays dry for the next while then lol