PDA

View Full Version : full hard drive on VU+ duo

fraser70
19-06-11, 13:38
my internal hard drive is now full on my vu+ but want to keep the recording.

what do i need to do

I have :

a pcwith a dvd wr

the receiver is full networked

can some show me what to do to record to a blank disk or shrink the recording

pooface
19-06-11, 14:05
Your best options (imo ) are to either ftp the recordings to a hdd on your pc, or convert them to an mkv. Altho the latter will take quite a while. Final option would be to get a bigger hdd (if less than 2tb)...

Sent with Tapatalk

xarqi
19-06-11, 14:05
You should be able to mount the Vu+ internal disc from any computer on your LAN.
When you've done that, copy a bunch of files off to wherever you have a few hundred GB of space spare, then delete the files from the Vu+.
Forget about archiving to DVD, except in special circumstances - the files are just too big.
You can compress them, but I've not found a suitable format that will be compatible with all of the devices I may want to use. I keep them as .ts files.
Hard discs are so cheap these days, just keep adding 2TB drives as necessary.
You can share these on your network too, and create mount points for them on your Vu+, so you'll be able to play anything from any of your archive discs as easily as from the Vu+ internal disc. That does presuppose that these discs are either part of a running NAS system, or attached to a computer that is active at the time you try.

jcm193
19-06-11, 14:07
I would suggest you ftp your box transferring some of your files to your pc and deleting them from your hard drive,this will give your more space for new recordings.You can of course ftp them back into your hd directly at a later date if you want too

fraser70
19-06-11, 14:20
I tride to save then using the explorer iterface but just takes too long

Can I ftp with dcc ?

fraser70
19-06-11, 14:23
would it be best to buy a dvd record and us it and if so could some recommend one that works

jcm193
19-06-11, 14:35
I tride to save then using the explorer iterface but just takes too long

Can I ftp with dcc ?

I would use filezilla very easy to use and free

fraser70
19-06-11, 14:44
i would like to save some fooball games to disc to share with friends so you would recommed

FTP : filzilla to pc use video redo to disc

jcm193
19-06-11, 14:47
ftp your vu+ with filezilla then drag the media on to your pc then burn or save,then delete to file on your hard drive

fraser70
19-06-11, 14:51
so connected to vu+ with FTP filzilla

it look like we have 5 files for the 1 recording is this right

do i need to copy them all over to my pc

jcm193
19-06-11, 15:21
I dont think so you should only have one file per recording the path is /media/hdd/movie and it should be an mepeg 2 file named for example sky movies hd and the film title,drag the named file onto your pc and delete it off your vu+

punisher
19-06-11, 15:58
i think just the .TS file will do

xarqi
19-06-11, 21:33
There can be as many as 6 files:
.TS is the important one - video and audio data
.EIT is the EIT EPG data for the recording - if you want to be able to display this later, you need to keep the file and move it in concert with the .TS, and keep the file names the same as each other
.cuts holds the positions of any edits you've made using the Vu+ (I think) and the last playback position. This will be recreated if it is missing.
.ap - don't know what this does
.sc - don't know what this does
.meta - don't know what this does, but I suspect it's related to service information

I keep .TS and .EIT, and dump the rest. When I play a file, a new .cuts is created.

pooface
19-06-11, 21:39
so connected to vu+ with FTP filzilla

it look like we have 5 files for the 1 recording is this right

do i need to copy them all over to my pc

As xarqi says, there's lots of files per recording. If you just want the recording without anything else, then the ts is all that is required... If you want to keep the info such as channel recorded from, date/time, name, program info etc, then you should keep the eit and meta. As far as I know, the ap and sc files are used for precise seeking and winding in the movie, and also for finding the cut positions when using the plugin MovieCut to cut movies. They can be recreated if needed by using the "ReconstructAPSC" plugin...