PDA

View Full Version : external hdd no show?

firstin
18-06-11, 01:47
Hi guys im having trouble getting my 500gb w/d external hdd to show in media player.
It simply wont show ive tried front and back usb ports, it shows in system/hardisk/initialization. Just want to watch movies off my hdd.

any help would be awsome.
thanks

canthackit
18-06-11, 12:26
it might be the image! what image are you using?
it could need mounting, is it mounted to /media/hdd?
regards: canthackit

firstin
18-06-11, 20:03
im using the latest vix image, if i mount it i would loose all my data wouldnt I ?

Stanman
18-06-11, 20:05
No if you mount it you wont lose your data only if you initialize it.

firstin
18-06-11, 20:14
so every time i wont to use it i will have to mount it? :confused:

punisher
18-06-11, 20:20
no you just mount it the once

firstin
18-06-11, 20:45
woops , ive gone to setup/hardisk/filesystem check and now my internal hdd is not showing ? any ideas of how to get this back. if i intialize it i will loose all my data and the wife will kill me!!!! maybe i need to flash another image so i can just plug and play my external hdd?

Stanman
18-06-11, 21:18
Is it showing in your mounts?

firstin
18-06-11, 21:44
excuse my noobness but i cant seem to find mounts

punisher
18-06-11, 21:46
Try rebooting ur box and then press blue button go to vix and then devices manager and see if ur hdd is there and check it says media/hdd next to ur hdd

firstin
18-06-11, 22:06
Ok thanks for your help guys it is very aprreciated. Since i lost my internal hdd i just done a factory reset. which got my internal back but ive lost all my settings and bouqets, which i thought would be fine because i could just restore them with Vucc. So i did that but it didnt seem to work. do i have to scan the satelite first and find all the channels before i can restore boquets etc ?

I am new to this but no my way around a computer reasonable well. is there something im doing wrong when backing up my settings. or should i use a different programme to do it instead of vucc e.g file zilla

Doreblade
18-06-11, 22:13
If it helps, I had a similar problem until a few minutes ago when I had a moment of clarity.

I have a load of music in a folder called 'Music' on an external HDD which I have mounted as USB2, then in Media Player I pressed the 'menu' button on the controller and selected option 8. I highlighted 'start directory' and selected the path Internal Flash > mnt > USB2. I then highlighted the 'Music' folder and pressed the green button to 'use' the folder the the same button to save the settings.

Now when I start Media Player it starts in the correct folder on my external HDD

firstin
18-06-11, 23:48
got it sorted thanks to you guys. i had to mount in vix menu as media/usb. now it works a treat thx heaps guys :thumbsup:

Stanman
19-06-11, 10:48
Glad your sorted mate.

mauri
20-06-11, 18:24
Is it showing in your mounts?

Hi there,
I've tried mounting several my HDD, but it always crashes with the green screen of death.
It is a 750GB Philips external HDD. It does have its own power adapter.

I've started a thread on this issue, a few days ago, but got now answers. :(

punisher
20-06-11, 19:05
Hi there,
I've tried mounting several my HDD, but it always crashes with the green screen of death.

Have you sent crash logs or atleast posted them here for us to see?

mauri
20-06-11, 19:30
Have you sent crash logs or atleast posted them here for us to see?

Yep, did that as well. Here is the thread.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8945-Vu-Duo-crashes-when-mounting-External-HDD

deckymckeown
27-06-11, 13:05
Hi there,

I had similar problems some time ago where no matter what i done i coouldnt get my external HDD to mount, and occasionaly for whatever reason i was getting the green screen

The only way round it for me was to re-install vix with this external hard drive connected to my vu duo, and that was me set up. I could then remove and plug it back in whenever i wanted

mauri
29-06-11, 21:34
Hm, I will try that, but I will wait for the next VIX release. thnx for the suggestion! :)

Nope, does not work, cuz when I try to reboot the box with the USB stick (that has the VIX 2.2 image) in order to reflash, AND with the external HDD plugged in the back USB port, the box reboots without reading the content of the usb stick, hence no reflash procedure is initiated. :(

Anyways, I will do the reflash and will post back the output.

I had similar problems some time ago where no matter what i done i coouldnt get my external HDD to mount, and occasionaly for whatever reason i was getting the green screen

The only way round it for me was to re-install vix with this external hard drive connected to my vu duo, and that was me set up. I could then remove and plug it back in whenever i wanted

mauri
29-06-11, 22:28
New VIX 2.2 did the trick! :D

I can access everyhting in my Philips 750 GB external HDD, although I did not mount it first (When I tried to enter the mount manager menu, the box crashed with the green screen of death...).

Hm, I will try that, but I will wait for the next VIX release. thnx for the suggestion! :)

Nope, does not work, cuz when I try to reboot the box with the USB stick (that has the VIX 2.2 image) in order to reflash, AND with the external HDD plugged in the back USB port, the box reboots without reading the content of the usb stick, hence no reflash procedure is initiated. :(

Anyways, I will do the reflash and will post back the output.

lapyro14
18-10-13, 12:21
Hi there, thanks for directing me to the mount menu however whenever I try to change my external HDD to media/HDD or media/USB (as my internal HDD is already set to media/HDD and I wasn't sure if you could have 2 set to the same location) it asks for a reboot then just defaults back to Media/sdb1 and is unmountable.