PDA

View Full Version : Password Protecting ET9000 (ViX 2.1) ?

The Bishop
11-06-11, 09:19
Hi,

Is there any compelling reason to password protect an ET9000 that is directly connected to a router that has other PC's connected to it both hard wired and by WiFi? I am asking more from the point of security of the network rather than prevention of the ET9000 settings being changed.

Also, are there different levels of password protection for an ET9000 (ViX 2.1) such as a root level and then a lower level of access such as user level?

Finally, would anyone please be able to confirm the menu structures that I would use if I wished to enable some form of password protection?

The Bishop

Alias1
11-06-11, 10:11
It is always a good idea to change the root password on a linux machine especially if it can be accessed by a wireless network

The Bishop
11-06-11, 13:51
It is always a good idea to change the root password on a linux machine especially if it can be accessed by a wireless network

Do I create a password using the onscreen menus presented by ViX or do I do this using the FTP application such as filezilla?

As the ET9000 is my 1st linux receiver I am not sure where to start to setup a password as there seems to be no obvious menu screens etc ?

The Bishop

Alias1
11-06-11, 13:57
Telnet to the box
Login root hit enter
should see a ~#
Type passswd hit enter and it will ask you for a new password

The Bishop
12-06-11, 09:28
Telnet to the box
Login root hit enter
should see a ~#
Type passswd hit enter and it will ask you for a new password

Is the password maintained if I flash a new image to the ET9000 such as ViX 2.2 or does it need to be setup again ? Also, could you please confirm that I type passswd with three s characters or is that a typo?

The Bishop

punisher
12-06-11, 10:30
its passwd

The Bishop
12-06-11, 11:04
And finally, if I forget the password, is there any way to remove it or to overwrite it without having to know the existing password ?

The Bishop