PDA

View Full Version : hdmi and optical set up for sony amp and tv

boxer29
10-06-11, 16:17
hi ,ive got a Sony RHT-G800 - Sony Bravia TV Stand With Integrated 5.1 Surround Sound Cinema System and a sony tv
do i have to set up the hdmi straight for the duo to sony tv and then the optical from the duo to the amp optical in ,to get the 5.1 sound ,,
is there any way of telling the hdmi cable not to take the sound signal ,,
previosly i had this setup with my amstrad 890 box to get the 5.1 ,dts sound from the box ,as the sound wouldnt go in 5.1 from the hdmi to the amp ,
the amp has got 3 hdmi in one out ,and then 3 optical in as wel l,,the amp and tv are also connected with eachother by an optical to carry the sound
any comments
thanks
ps ive done the same setttings and its showing me this option when you push the audio button on the duo
0 MPEG OP47 Subs- hd con
1 AC3 English
the AC3 downmix is on

Alec
10-06-11, 23:25
On my setup, optical from the DU goes into AV amp. The hmdi cable goes into the AV amp and the output from the amp to the TV. I have the sound off in the TV on 5.1 , when I setup the amp, because the sound from the TV did not sound right in my 7.1 setup. With VIX 2.1 image, I am having to on some channels put AC3 downmix on when the amp is off manually (for AC3 you need Downmix off )
because unlike other images it does not choose stero when my amp is off.

boxer29
10-06-11, 23:39
my setting are ,
optical du to amp
hdmi duo to tv ,turn the vol off on tv
av cable amp to tv
on the above setting my amp shows DPLii and opt is also lit ,,
but it is still putputting in 2.00 ,i need to find out some channels which do 5.1 ,and then test it
thanks
ps my sony bd player ,,is set up like this
hdmi sony bd to amp ,
hdmi amp to tv
get 5.1 ,dts on all movies

mbo
11-06-11, 04:04
Hi,
you do not need optical to amp. Just connect Vu HDMI port to amp HDMI(in) and amp HDMI(out) to TV HDMI(in), so 2 HDMI cables. Set the downmix on Duo to "NO". Turn your TV audio volume to zero and all Stereo/AC3 audio should be played from the amp. That's how I have it set and it works 100%. Surely, to get multichannel audio it must be included in the transmission you are watching. It might be possible to stop the audio be passed to your TV within the AVR settings - depends on brand/model of the AVR.

Cheers

boxer29
11-06-11, 16:52
does the duo output 5.1 through the hdmi ,,
my sky box didnt so that i had this set up ,,just took the sky hd box out ,and connected my vu+duo i checked today and it was showing on the amp
pcm
dplii
and opt
which down mix should i turn to no ,,there are 2 one is ac3 and the other is mpeg if im right ,
Sony RHT-G800
any comments

Alec
11-06-11, 18:02
From my experience the only sound through HDMI is only stero, Sat boxes and Media centre. I have had to use Optical or Coax for 5.1.

banie01
11-06-11, 18:52
does the duo output 5.1 through the hdmi ,,

If there is a 5.1 audio track the Vu+ will pass it. I have mine into a Sony STR DG910 via HDMI only and have great surround sound ;)
Adding Optical and having to match your delays over 2 cables(1 to amp,1 to TV) is just adding layers of complexity IMO.
Since the Vu+ will definitly output multichannel audio via HDMI Just use the one cable to the amp and passthrough to the TV it makes sorting any audio delays very simple too!

mbo
12-06-11, 05:19
Hi,
it definitly does output multichannel via HDMI. If the audio is in AC3-stereo my Sony AVR shows DD on display. If the audio is in AC3/multichannel the AVR shows DD and the blue "multichannel" light lights up.
And set the audio downmix to "NO" for DD and DTS to get multichannel via HDMI. The DTS is not really important, I've never seen DBS in DTS. However if you play matrosca etc., it will be necesary.

Cheers

boxer29
12-06-11, 18:49
i will try and let you know ,
have to check which channel is playing dd sound ,,
is there any epg guide for duo which tells you whats the sound like sky hd box tells you in the epg ,,like
W,S,DD
there is a movie coming on 4 hd at 8-00 which says DD ,
so will check out on that
currently using vix epg
thanks

sivhead
14-06-11, 07:48
I have a sony rht-G800 also. I have optical out from vu duo to rht-g800 and hdmi from vu to TV. (just 2 cables). but after reading this I might change my setup

boxer29
14-06-11, 09:54
With the above set up are you getting 5.1 whT does it show on your amp lcd ,mine shows pcm,dplii,but its in 2.00 can you tell me what settings u have
Tha.ks

mbo
15-06-11, 04:24
Hi,
Make sure that the audio downmix is set to "NO".

Cheers

EDIT: also make sure you selected AC3 using AUDIO button on the VuDuo RC.

boxer29
15-06-11, 10:41
which audio downmix are you talking about ,if you press audio on your remote ,it shows ac3 ,and mpeg ,which downmix to set to <no> then say if you want your tv speakers to work ,ive noticed if you put ac3 audio downmix to no there is no sound from the tv ,,
what settings have you made for the RHT-G9-000 ,have you disabled audio over hdmi ,,or what
thanks

mbo
15-06-11, 12:18
Hi,
your TV will most probably not play AC3 audio as it will need AC3 decoder, not many have it. You need your receiver to play AC3 audio.
So plug HDMI cable from VuDuo to HDMI(in) on your receiver and HDMI(out) from receiver to HDMI(in) on your TV. Now make sure the HDMI(in) input on the receiver (where the VuDuo is plugged in) is selected on receiver display as input source.
Check the HDMI settings on the receiver menu and experiment. I think you should not pass audio to TV.

But first set VuDuo via AUDIO button on RC to AC3 and Audio Downmix to NO.

Cheers

boxer29
15-06-11, 13:52
thanks i will let you know ,,when i try it tonight ,
cheers

boxer29
18-06-11, 01:58
yes all is working now ,,
just connected hdmi from vuo to amp hdmi in ,,and then from amp hdmi out to tv hdmi in ,,
just turn the autom mix to off ,and the sound is coming in 5.1 dd

mbo
18-06-11, 02:19
Well, I'm glad the Forum was helpful for you :) This is many people mistake to try to get AC3 from TV as we all are used to get audio from tv sets. Anyway, enjoy your surrand sound!

Cheers

delboy13
08-07-11, 23:52
i have my vu+ duo connected to denon amp via hdmi and when i turn downmix off the audio goes alot quieter in ac3