PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to ask all these questions - a Q about audio...

Twigman
25-03-10, 17:57
Sorry to ask all these questions...
I have been reading the manual

on p49 it states that if I want DD as the default audio then I set the AC3 Default to Yes
OK
then it states in the AC? Downmix section No is used when you do not want to set the audio output to be down-mixed from AC3 to Stereo
Fine

So I plan to have my AVR decode the audio

However it then goes on to say:
If NO is on and you are usinh only HDMI or SCART connection there can be no audio sometimes :o if the program you are watching provides AC3 only.

So is AC3 not passed by the HDMI? (like a Sky HD box then - where you must use an optical/coax connection to get DD into youre amp).
:(

Please tell me this ain't so - I've run out of optical inputs on my amp already.

Sicilian
25-03-10, 18:19
m8 dont apologise for asking questions, thats where here :)

Mine is o connected to a Yamaha amp using TOSLINK optical cable. My audio settings are as follows: -

AC3 Audio default = Yes
AC3 Downmix = No

Now if a channel is broadcast in MPEG audio, the audio still passes through the optical output to my amp. My HDMI cable goes direct to my TV and the speakers on that are muted, all my audio passes through to my amp.

Now regards AC3 passed through HDMI I'll have to test later this evening and let you know 100%.

Twigman
25-03-10, 18:28
You see I plan to just connect with HDMI to my amp.
My amp does have 2 optical inputs and 2 coax inputs in addition but 3 of those 4 are already inuse.

Optical for the TV audio out (used when reading USB data plugged into TV or when streaming YouTube direct to TV - it's a Samsung UE40B7020)
Optical for a PC
Coax for a Amstrad Sky HD box

So you see I have no spare optical inputs (only coax).

In the spec sheet for a VU+ it states (technical Data manual page 14) Video/audio output (digital) 1x HDMI
Now I'm hoping this means that the digital audio is passed via HDMI but page 49 suggests otherwise.

I now need to cross my fingers and hope that the digital audio is passed via HDMI and not just the SPDIF........<waits fingers crossed>

Twigman
25-03-10, 18:30
just to add my amp is a Denon AVR1910 and I use it as a source switch and have just the one HDMI lead plugged into the telly

Sicilian
25-03-10, 21:52
Just checked, AC3 & MPEG audio does pass through HDMI with the settings below: -

AC3 Audio default = Yes
AC3 Downmix = Yes

So dont worry lol!

Twigman
25-03-10, 22:49
Just checked, AC3 & MPEG audio does pass through HDMI with the settings below: -

AC3 Audio default = Yes
AC3 Downmix = Yes

So dont worry lol!

Surely that means that the AC3 is downmixed to stereo for HDMI so is not passed to the amp for decoding?
:(
I want my amp to decode from HDMI only.

Sicilian
25-03-10, 22:51
Sorry I should have been clearer, my HDMI goes direct to my TV as my amp does not have HDMI. Thats why I had to switch downmix on for the AC3.

Twigman
25-03-10, 22:53
Sorry I should have been clearer, my HDMI goes direct to my TV as my amp does not have HDMI. Thats why I had to switch downmix on for the AC3.

I need someone to test
AC3 Audio default = Yes
AC3 Downmix = No
with audio via HDMI only PLEASE

any takers?

The manual seems ambiguous to me as to whether the box will do this or not.

Sicilian
25-03-10, 22:58
I cant test because my TV does not decode AC3, sorry.

Twigman
25-03-10, 23:00
I cant test because my TV does not decode AC3, sorry.

I understand that. thanks for trying, but somebody must have an amp with HDMI inputs that they use as a source switch, like me.

Anyone?