PDA

View Full Version : Frequent crashes on my VuDuo running VIX 2.1.4 image

mauri
05-06-11, 02:48
I have 3-4 crashes a day. Sometimes more than that.

It's driving me nuts! :(

Not sure if it is the EPG that for some strange reason 'migrates' to internal flash, from the usb stick.
Actually to me seems that the above is the result of each crash, not the vice-versa.

The box crashes if for i.e. I zap to a different bouquet (after watching a certain channel for some time).
Another frequent crash lately, happens when I try to watch a HD mp4 movie from the HDD.

Every time the box crashes, I have to change the Cross EPG data location, from internal flash to USB again.
BUT, in order to do that, I have to remount the USB and HDD, which do not show on the Cross EPG menu locations. After restarting the box, and reloading the EPG, everything runs OK for some minutes (or hours), till the next freeze/crash.

Today, when restarting the box, the LCD screen of the box was reading 'starting', and the box did not react to its remote control.

I rebooted from the telnet command, but still the same.

Had to make a hard reboot (the power button on the back).

Decided to give a try to PLi. :(

update: the DreamBox Control Center E2, memory info shows that nearly 50% of the internal flash (ROOT) is free, hence don't believe that the reason for freezing/crashin is small free memory...

punisher
05-06-11, 08:24
If you get crashes then go into you hdd and please post the crash logs here with a lil note of what you were doing atthe time of crash otherwise we dont have a clue how to help you

Larry-G
05-06-11, 08:30
I have 3-4 crashes a day. Sometimes more than that.

It's driving me nuts! :(

Not sure if it is the EPG that for some strange reason 'migrates' to internal flash, from the usb stick.
Actually to me seems that the above is the result of each crash, not the vice-versa.

The box crashes if for i.e. I zap to a different bouquet (after watching a certain channel for some time).
Another frequent crash lately, happens when I try to watch a HD mp4 movie from the HDD.

Every time the box crashes, I have to change the Cross EPG data location, from internal flash to USB again.
BUT, in order to do that, I have to remount the USB and HDD, which do not show on the Cross EPG menu locations. After restarting the box, and reloading the EPG, everything runs OK for some minutes (or hours), till the next freeze/crash.

Today, when restarting the box, the LCD screen of the box was reading 'starting', and the box did not react to its remote control.

I rebooted from the telnet command, but still the same.

Had to make a hard reboot (the power button on the back).

Decided to give a try to PLi. :(

update: the DreamBox Control Center E2, memory info shows that nearly 50% of the internal flash (ROOT) is free, hence don't believe that the reason for freezing/crashin is small free memory...

i am not meaning to sound disrespectful but if your not going to bother to upload the crash logs so we can try to see why your box is crashing then why make the post ?. i have said this dozens of times. i even made a forum announcement asking for people to upload their crash logs with a detailed explanation of what they did prior to the crash but as always very few bother to help us by submitting their logs. sad really.

mauri
05-06-11, 20:36
Here they are. Hope these crashlogs will give you some helpful insights.

cheers

punisher
05-06-11, 20:43
do you use a subtitle plugin?

mauri
05-06-11, 20:56
do you use a subtitle plugin?

yes, I have installed the subtitle player by DD (or smth like that. Not sure cuz I have now PLi). Actually it never worked.

Stanman
05-06-11, 20:57
Uninstall it and see if the crashes happen again as this crash log refers to it with an error enigma2_crash_1304711485.log (

punisher
05-06-11, 20:59
looking at one or 2 of those logs i think the DD subtitle player was causing you a crash. if you come back to vix then do a new flash and a full online update and try and see if it works without the DD subtitle player as vix has a subtitle player included in it. but try a new flash and see if that works

mauri
05-06-11, 21:09
looking at one or 2 of those logs i think the DD subtitle player was causing you a crash. if you come back to vix then do a new flash and a full online update and try and see if it works without the DD subtitle player as vix has a subtitle player included in it. but try a new flash and see if that works

Thanks for the replies guys, but not sure if the sub player plugin was the issue, because, as I stated in my first post, the crashes did not happen ONLY when trying to play the movies stored in HDD. The crashes would happen even if I would zap from one channel to another. Weeks ago I started to have issues with the IMDB plugin as well (showing results once in 6-7 times, at its best).
Another thing that I think was somehow buggy, I believe the CrossEPG as well...

Anyways, I might go back to VIX (like I did months ago), because I do miss the nice and clean layout of the GUI in the default skin and especially the VIX epg layout...

I will post back my results.

thanks again!

punisher
05-06-11, 21:13
yeh like i said i only checked a few out as the devs will check the rest out but those were only 2 that looked like DD Sub player caused issue. but never the less try a new clean install and do a full online update, dont install any plugins and see how it runs for ya. vix has always perfect for me, and i dont use any plugins either other than the default ones installed. I use CrossEPG to and OpenTV provider for Sky UK all working perfect

mauri
05-06-11, 21:18
yeh like i said i only checked a few out as the devs will check the rest out but those were only 2 that looked like DD Sub player caused issue. but never the less try a new clean install and do a full online update, dont install any plugins and see how it runs for ya. vix has always perfect for me, and i dont use any plugins either other than the default ones installed. I use CrossEPG to and OpenTV provider for Sky UK all working perfect

Guess I'm reflashing it again...

I have a question though, a couple of months ago, I bumped into a thread in this forum (which I cant find it now) that says that the fresh install of VIX would be the second step. The first step would tbe installation of the latest Enigma 2 original firmware - since this one would install the latest drivers, which latest VIX image does not have. Am I right (or it's just a stupid question? :D)?

punisher
05-06-11, 21:33
well if u want to wait for vix 2.2 which is in final testing and will have all latest driver incorporated in them then wait or stick on vix 2.1 and do a full online update which will take it to 2.1.4 which has the drivers that are most compatible to that image. its upto u but 2.2 is worth the wait :p

mauri
05-06-11, 23:03
well if u want to wait for vix 2.2 which is in final testing and will have all latest driver incorporated in them then wait or stick on vix 2.1 and do a full online update which will take it to 2.1.4 which has the drivers that are most compatible to that image. its upto u but 2.2 is worth the wait :p

OK. Reflashed it with latest VIX image. Ran the online update. CFG, CCcam etc in the right places. Configured CrossEPG sources, EPG location pointed to USB stick (situated in the back of the box). When I run the EPG downloader (from within the CrossEPG menu, or from the extension-blue button thingy), the box crashes. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :(

Don't ask for the crashlogs cuz the timings of those logs are messed up - some of them show weird times like 3/6/2000 etc

punisher
05-06-11, 23:17
Did u set the epg location in menu/setup/vix/vix settings too? Also double check in the device manager that the usb is mounted as media/usb

mauri
05-06-11, 23:19
yep, done all that
Did u set the epg location in menu/setup/vix/vix settings too? Also double check in the device manager that the usb is mounted as media/usb

punisher
05-06-11, 23:22
Try clearing all ur providers and them 1 at a time see whether its a provider problem. Im not sure wat could be causing it but just download one provider and see what happens

mauri
05-06-11, 23:26
Try clearing all ur providers and them 1 at a time see whether its a provider problem. Im not sure wat could be causing it but just download one provider and see what happens

I am checking providers one by one, but meanwhile I am trying to find the crashlogs of the last 5 crashes, but dont seem to find them. They should be in /HDD/ right?
I deleted all crashlogs I had in order to be able to pick the fresh ones, but I do not have any crashlog there any more... :/

punisher
05-06-11, 23:28
They should be in media/hdd and debug logs are in home/root if you dont have any crash logs

mauri
05-06-11, 23:30
They should be in media/hdd and debug logs are in home/root if you dont have any crash logs
nope, noe debug logs in home/root, no crashlogs in media/hhd either. Strange! :O

punisher
05-06-11, 23:40
See how crossepg goes :p

mauri
05-06-11, 23:44
It crashed with rytec Bulgaria XMTLV and with OpenTV Sky UK on 28.2.

One strange thing though, the EPG.dat file timestamp on /media/hdd keeps updating, as per my manual dowloads. Why is that?! My EPG location is on USB stick, why the epg.dat on /media/hdd keeps updating? :O

I've checked like 10 providers till now, everything looks ok, xcept those two crashes on sky uk openTV and bulgaria.
It does seem though that the box hangs for a long time (the VIX spinning logo) when 'loading data'....

I checked again the OpenTV SkyUK 28.2 - when I press orange for manual dowload, the box tunes to the radio channel, reads 900+ channels, and it crashes when 'reading titles'...

All Rytec XMLTV providers cause crashing when 'parsing events'. Same for OpenTV provider SkyUK. But SkyIT openTV provider was OK.

punisher
06-06-11, 00:06
Looks like that could be the problem. If usb is mounted and setup correctly then epg.dat should be in media usb. Just double check the settings again

mauri
06-06-11, 00:15
Looks like that could be the problem. If usb is mounted and setup correctly then epg.dat should be in media usb. Just double check the settings again

Nope, I am rechecking the settings every time that the box restarts after crash. Everything is as it should be. :O
Double checked OpenTV providers again: Sky UK crashes the box, while SkyIT does not.
All Rytec sources crash the box, while Krakoni providers do not. Right now I fully downloaded all the providers (RAI scripts, SkyIT OpenTV and almost all Krakoni providers), the box did not crash this time.

It is strange because I remember having Rytec sources without any issues...

Update: I deleted all the files in /media/usb/crossepg in order to have a 'fresh' EPG database.
I also deleted the epg.dat file in /media/hdd, and restarted the box. Strangely enough all the providers showed the full EPG listings when zapping. I checked again the crossEPG settings and Vix settings to be sure htat epg data location was still USB stick.

Where does the box get the epg data if I deleted all the data from the usb stick? :O

NOTE: The box did have the green-screen of death type of crash, but instead an Enigma restart...

mauri
06-06-11, 00:56
Nope, I am rechecking the settings every time that the box restarts after crash. Everything is as it should be. :O
Double checked OpenTV providers again: Sky UK crashes the box, while SkyIT does not.
All Rytec sources crash the box, while Krakoni providers do not. Right now I fully downloaded all the providers (RAI scripts, SkyIT OpenTV and almost all Krakoni providers), the box did not crash this time.

It is strange because I remember having Rytec sources without any issues...

Update: I deleted all the files in /media/usb/crossepg in order to have a 'fresh' EPG database.
I also deleted the epg.dat file in /media/hdd, and restarted the box. Strangely enough all the providers showed the full EPG listings when zapping. I checked again the crossEPG settings and Vix settings to be sure htat epg data location was still USB stick.

Where does the box get the epg data if I deleted all the data from the usb stick? :O

NOTE: The box did not have the green-screen of death type of crash, but instead an Enigma restart...

NOTE: The box did not have the green-screen of death type of crash, but instead an Enigma restart...

mauri
06-06-11, 11:17
Anyone can give an insight on this issue?

It is obvious that CrossEPG is causing the box to crash - even with 2.1.4 VIX image that has the latest drivers/enigma updates...

punisher
06-06-11, 11:33
Is it still crashing after u deleted the files on the hdd an kept the crossepg folder and epg.dat on usb too?

mauri
06-06-11, 12:03
Yes, it crashes with opentv SKY and all Rytec providers.

BUT, there is no EPG.dat file in the crossEPG folder in USB stick. Neither in HDD folder.
Settings checked: Vix and CrossEPG epg location: USB stick.
weird, no?

Sicilian
06-06-11, 13:03
Try creating a swap file on your usb stick. Blue button > VIX > Swap manager. Activate the swap and set it to auto start. Then try downloading from Crossepg.

mauri
06-06-11, 20:41
Try creating a swap file on your usb stick. Blue button > VIX > Swap manager. Activate the swap and set it to auto start. Then try downloading from Crossepg.

Swap file can be created in the same USB stick, or it should be a different one?

punisher
06-06-11, 21:02
i use the same usb stick as swap

mauri
06-06-11, 23:32
The swap file did the trick! :D
I just tested CrossEPG download with SkyUK + SkyIT OpenTV providers, 3 Rytec providers and 8 Krakoni ones. It took a while (tens of MB of data I guess...) but it did not crash this time.

Thanks Boss!!! :D

p.s. I've uploaded the crashlog from last night (just noticed it. Not sure if it has to do with the CrossEPG issue discussed in this thread...)

Larry-G
06-06-11, 23:50
see. if you stick with it you will get there in the end.

mauri
06-06-11, 23:54
see. if you stick with it you will get there in the end.

yeah, true. with a little help from my 'friends'! ;)
Thnx m8!

punisher
07-06-11, 00:25
yeh glad u persisted with it :D

Alias1
07-06-11, 00:54
The swap file did the trick! :D
I just tested CrossEPG download with SkyUK + SkyIT OpenTV providers, 3 Rytec providers and 8 Krakoni ones. It took a while (tens of MB of data I guess...) but it did not crash this time.

Thanks Boss!!! :D

p.s. I've uploaded the crashlog from last night (just noticed it. Not sure if it has to do with the CrossEPG issue discussed in this thread...)
You have a problem with your fan control plugin

mauri
07-06-11, 11:00
You have a problem with your fan control plugin

yeah, during one of the last crashes/reboots the display showed the 'fancontrol 2' msg and it hanged. I uninstalled the plugin immediately after that.
Thnx for the reply m8! :)