PDA

View Full Version : Set up help needed please - newbie losing faith....!

LHD_Kid
04-06-11, 07:57
Hello everyone...
So, I've had my first ever satellite set-up running for a few weeks after installing the hardware myself.
I can get all the satellites I need and the picture quality is good - no problems with getting a signal.
I have run into some issues though, which I am hoping someone with more know-how will be able to guide me through...!
I'm located in Brussels, Belgium, I have a single LNB connected to tuner A via a 1 metre dish and a motor running USALS.

1) However I set up the VU+duo, if I record something only 3 or 4 other channels are available at the same time. I had hoped that with 2 tuners you can set it up to record off one channel and watch another (assuming they are off the same satellite.)
It seems looping with the set up options, etc, makes no difference. What am I doing wrong?

2) I would like to sort out my favourites. I downloaded DBEdit, and set the VU+ up with a Vonets Wi-fi bridge (which works fine as I have updated my VIX 2 image withour issues). What I am unable to do - and I have spent the last 3 weeks trying, is to set up for FTP. I have found that some routers need configuring - of which I am sure mine is one, but since I have no idea what the router is (its an own branded one provided by my Belgian internet provider) I have spent hours looking online to see what is needed.
I managed to access the router settings over the internet, but since it's in French and the provider will not give any support - and especially not in English, I am stumped.

I would really like to get the FTP working.... It drives me nuts each time to have to choose from 15 different BBC1 channels....

3) Finally, I thought I would be able to get all FTA channels without the need for involvng myself in cams, etc... (which I also don't think I can do without FTP) but, for example, Dave is still encrypted, is thus normal?

Sorry for the long post, but I really hope to get this excellent bit of kit working how it should..

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

mcquaim
04-06-11, 09:12
Hi there,

I only have a fixed dish so I won't be able to shed any light on issue 1. As far as I know in the tuner setup (Setup->Service Searching->Tuner configuration) you should have Tuner A as single pointed to whatever sat and Tuner B set to Positioner and set your long/lat as required. I assume you already have done this though..

As regarding FTP, have you set a password on your Vu? I use a program called FileZilla to transfer to my Vu, it's free and user friendly. Firstly find out your Vu's ip address (Setup->System->Network->Adapter settings) and in the Current settings section you'll get your ip address.

To connect to your box with FileZilla then Host:192.168.1.?? Username:root Password:?? (Vu default password is blank, unless you have changed it)

I'm afraid that Dave is an encrypted channel. The FTA channels will display as "Free to Air" on the Vix info bar just lower right of the channel name. To get the info bar hit ok on any channel..

Best of luck!

t.ph
04-06-11, 09:20
You have nothing connected to Tuner B!

You need a dual lnb to replace your single one

LHD_Kid
04-06-11, 12:03
Thanks for the replies...

So, I have completely misunderstood the system requirements?
With my old Humax freeview recorder, I had one aerial, and could record 2 channels... I (maybe wrongly) assumed that with one single LNB it is possible to record 2 programs from the same satellite at the same time.... Presumably then, if I add a dual LNB I will need to run a second cable from the dish to the set? (nightmare... 5th floor block of flats...)

On the subject of Dave, this was a channel I can view in the UK via freeview with no contract, not sure why it's encrypted via satellite?

I will have a stab at the FTP again... It is Filezilla I was trying to use - no passwords added... I cannot even set up Filezilla on the pc, it simply tells me I cannot connect to netwrok (then sights the problem as maybe router configuration). I tried configuring the router and just lost my internet connection - although the configuration settings are all in French ...(I had to go to a friends place and access router settings an revert to default - internet connection returned....)

pooface
04-06-11, 12:12
In regards to single lnb input, the best way to get most channels is to have tuner B as a loopthrough of tuner a. This gives more channels. For example, on 19e, I can view virtually all of the csat bouquet when recording a csat channel, and same with sky de. However, I cannot view a sky de channel when recording csat, even though they're both on 19e. This is because of the transponders. To get it to allow you view 1 whilst recording all the time, you will need a 2nd lnb feed.

As for Dave ... that is encrypted on Sky. Here's an exerpt from another forum I found:

Freeview and Freesat (or in your case FreesatFromSky) are 2 different services which carry different channels. It sounds like you would prefer to have Freeview, but have Freesat instead. Unfortunately, some of the channels which are free on Freeview are encrypted on Freesat and only available as part of a Sky subscription. These include Dave, Virgin One, and Sky Sports News.

t.ph
04-06-11, 12:34
Thanks for the replies...
I will have a stab at the FTP again... It is Filezilla I was trying to use - no passwords added... I cannot even set up Filezilla on the pc, it simply tells me I cannot connect to netwrok (then sights the problem as maybe router configuration). I tried configuring the router and just lost my internet connection - although the configuration settings are all in French ...(I had to go to a friends place and access router settings an revert to default - internet connection returned....)

Just to clarify
You say that your box has a connection to the internet as your able to update
if so
Then you need to connect to the IP address of your box not your router
Go to Menu > Setup > System > Network > Adapter Settings > You will the see your IP Address (this is what you have to ftp to)
I'm assuming that you have DHCP set to Yes ? if so then your IP Address may change each time you reboot box

To use a ftp program or DBedit you have to use the IP Address you want to connect to along with any Login & Password. To login in to a VIX image use need to use "root" as the Login & leave Password blank

LHD_Kid
04-06-11, 12:53
Just to clarify
You say that your box has a connection to the internet as your able to update
if so
Then you need to connect to the IP address of your box not your router
Go to Menu > Setup > System > Network > Adapter Settings > You will the see your IP Address (this is what you have to ftp to)
I'm assuming that you have DHCP set to Yes ? if so then your IP Address may change each time you reboot box

To use a ftp program or DBedit you have to use the IP Address you want to connect to along with any Login & Password. To login in to a VIX image use need to use "root" as the Login & leave Password blank

Bingo...! I am now able to connect and use DBEdit....! Thanks...

The problem is, whe you have 100% no clue whatsoever, the most basic , basic basic concepts are never mentioned, it is always assumed that some knowledge is present (not in my case...!)

Thanks alot... I'll try and resolve the favourites now - althoug I will not be able to runa second cable and install a second LNB, dual tuners is a waste in my case - will probably just put up with not really ever recording thungs unless I am simply out....

Thanks for the help...!

mcquaim
04-06-11, 15:05
If you set Tuner B as Loopthrough to Tuner A then you will be able to record and still watch quite a few channels. Go to the setup menu :- (Setup->Service Searching->Tuner configuration), select Tuner B and change it to loopthrough to tuner A.

This way at least you will get some use from your second tuner!!

Alec
04-06-11, 18:30
You need a dual LNB to achieve want you want without going into technicalities. You can achieve some of it with a loop through to tuner B.

t.ph
04-06-11, 18:36
You need a dual LNB to achieve want you want without going into technicalities. You can achieve some of it with a loop through to tuner B.

LoL your a bit late as all that has been said in the posts above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!