PDA

View Full Version : Tuner Sensitivity In ET9000 - Anyone Able To Test Scan 1W For FTA

The Bishop
02-06-11, 14:11
Hi,

Would anyone please be able to test a FTA scan of 1W for TV channels using an ET9000? I have compared the channels picked up with an ET9000 to those from an old Manhattan XT-F and the ET9000 does not come out very well.

Using a manual scan of 1W, the ET9000 picked up 23 FTA TV channels compared with 37 from the Manhattan XT-F.

I would have thought that the ET9000 would not be seen off by the tuner from an old cheap Manhattan so there is possibly some configuration issue coming into play such as the scope of the scan and possibly any incremental frequency ranges used?

The ET9000 I am using is running ViX 2.1 so I am not able to run a Blind Scan or edit many scan parameters. If anyone is running ViX 2.2 Beta with the Blind Scan reportedly available I would be interested to know what a TV FTA scan of 1W yields?

Another odd observation is that a manual single satellite scan of 1W does not detect "BBC World" which is one of the strongest signals on 1W. However, a manual single transponder scan of 1W using the "BBC World" transponder details picks it up. I would be grateful if anyone else could test out this observation.

The Bishop

silverfox0786
02-06-11, 17:47
the et-9000 has driver issues when it domes to the tuner this i have seen with 28.2 on et9000 it scan 1010 channels and on a vu it scans 1029 channels

something to do with the threashold of the tuner

The Bishop
02-06-11, 17:59
Hi,

As a follow up to the above post, I downloaded a new "satellites.xml" file in the hope that this would result in more FTA channels being found on 1W. However, using a manual scan of 1W for all transponders still gives poor results. Using the new satellites.xms file the ET9000 yielded 24 FTA TV channels compared to 37 channels from a 3 year old Manhattan XT-F

I am not sure if there is a fault with the tuner as it is constantly failing to detect "BBC World" using the known frequency of 11,862 which is one of the strongest signals from 1W. A single transponder scan also fails to find the channel. However, editing the frequency to 11,867 at 5 units higher captures "BBC World" channel with a manual scan.

If the tuner is failing to detect channels at their correct frequency but is capturing them at an offset to the known frequency then it is a matter of concern as it could be applicable across a whole range of satellites.

I will continue to look into this and try out a package from one of the contributors who create channel listings to see if it opens up any more FTA TV channels on 1W.

If anyone gets the opportunity to carry out a scan of 1W for FTA TV channels using the manual scan of all 1W transponders it might indicate if it my tuner/setup at fault or if it is a more global issue with the tuner?

The Bishop

The Bishop
02-06-11, 18:01
the et-9000 has driver issues when it domes to the tuner this i have seen with 28.2 on et9000 it scan 1010 channels and on a vu it scans 1029 channels

something to do with the threashold of the tuner

silverfox,

The threshold of the tuner should not come into it as far as "BBC World" on 1W is concerned, it is one of the strongest signals on the satellite and way above any threshold level for detection.

The Bishop

silverfox0786
02-06-11, 18:18
silverfox,

The threshold of the tuner should not come into it as far as "BBC World" on 1W is concerned, it is one of the strongest signals on the satellite and way above any threshold level for detection.

The Bishop

u might thjink that but its all down to the drivers on the et9000 i was loosing channels that had a high gain on em just because the tuner on et9000 was unable to detect them

its a case of waiting for drivers to fix it but if u email CT the more emailsd they get the quicker new drivers will come about

drs101
02-06-11, 18:20
silverfox,

The Bishop

Have you tried loading an updated channel list from the many people that make them and seeing if that works?

The Bishop
02-06-11, 18:55
u might thjink that but its all down to the drivers on the et9000 i was loosing channels that had a high gain on em just because the tuner on et9000 was unable to detect them

its a case of waiting for drivers to fix it but if u email CT the more emailsd they get the quicker new drivers will come about

If Clarke-Tech are marketing a receiver then it should be fit for purpose out of the box. If the tuner does not work correctly because of driver issues they should sort it out rather than mess about.

The Bishop

The Bishop
02-06-11, 18:56
Have you tried loading an updated channel list from the many people that make them and seeing if that works?

That is my next step.

The Bishop

Sicilian
02-06-11, 19:03
Its not a tuner fault as if it was you wouldn't be able to tuner to the channels full stop. If you load an upto date settings pack there is not issue tuning to the channels, its just when you scan, its a driver issue.

What transpnder are you scanning, I'll try here with ViX 2.2.

basilyoung
02-06-11, 19:16
I am using the latest "Catseye listing, and I am clearing BBC World, with out a problem

as posted, its not a tuner problem as such, its a driver problem

silverfox0786
02-06-11, 19:28
its not so much the tuner failer

if u use a pre scanned bouquet it is fine

i was talking to andy about this a few days ago here is a snipit of what was discussed

(silverfox0786) for some reason my sats not scanning properly so i needed an upto date lamedb with dvb-t
(andyblac) hmm
(silverfox0786) on the et9000 im only getting 1010 channel and uno im getting 1029
(silverfox0786) so im missing loads
(silverfox0786) dunno what it is
(andyblac) it is drivers in tuner
(silverfox0786) my error or u need to fix or ct need to fix?
(andyblac) same here
(andyblac) i think my sat enigmerr said somethinng about it is common
(silverfox0786) but why is it different per box
(andyblac) the tuner, it less sensivtive
(silverfox0786) i see
(andyblac) in detecting the freqancies
(silverfox0786) right
(andyblac) something to do with noise levels
(andyblac) and gain

Sicilian
02-06-11, 19:45
BBC World news being scanned with no issues here, try setting network scan to on and off, try both ways.

Sicilian
02-06-11, 20:00
Just as a test I scanned 11862H single tranponder, network scan set to no, on ET9000, ET5000, Duo and TM800 with the same satellites.xml, all picked up 21 channels, BBC World News included.

The Bishop
02-06-11, 22:16
Thank you for testing the scans out.

I have been using the manual scan with Network Scan set to"Yes" so I have repeated the full satellite manual scan for 1W but now with Network Scan set to "No", FTA only and clear before scan set to yes. The result of the scan was 34 channels including BBC World compared with 37 channels from a scan run on a Manhattan XT-F receiver at the same time.

I just cannot work out what is going on here but it now seems to be OK. In addition I repeated the scan several time toggling the Network Scan setting between Yes and No and it seems to be working OK.

Thank you for your patience and for scanning the satellite.

The Bishop

The Bishop
03-06-11, 16:57
I spoke too soon, my patience is wearing a bit thin with this ET9000 now.

Following on from earlier discussions, I loaded a "Catseyes" settings file into the receiver using DreamboxEdit with the tick in the box to reload the Enigma stuff. The upload seems to have gone OK as I have a good long list of channels for 1W. The only trouble is that the receiver is not providing a picture for quite a few of the FTA channels and BBC World is one of them.

I have a Manhattan XF-F taking a direct LNB feed from the same dish as the ET9000 is getting its direct LNB feed and it is clearing all channels OK. The LNB is a quad output Invacom C120 LNB on a 1.5m prime focus dish so there is enough signal coming from the dish.

To summarise where I am at:

1. The "Catseyes" package loaded OK with plenty channels on 1W -- BBC World and some other FTA channels will not yield a picture.
2. Manual scan of 1W for FTA channels with "Network Scan" set to "No" -- Found 14 FTA channels but did not find BBC World.
3. Manual scan of 1W for FTA channels with "Network Scan" set to "Yes" -- Found 19 FTA channels but did not find BBC World.
4. Manual scan of 1W for FTA channels using Manhattan XT-F -- Found 39 FTA TV channels including BBC World.

If the issues I am experiencing are driver related then I would have thought that other ET9000 users would have the same issues?

The Bishop

Sicilian
03-06-11, 17:04
Try doing a full complete scan of of 1.0 deg west. ViX 2.2 has updated drivers and scan does work fine. Try loading cateyes channel list then doing a complete satellite scan of 1deg. 2.2 isn't too far away, extra work had to be done to make the drivers compatible with the image.

Why do you keep scanning if you had found the channels earlier?

Sicilian
03-06-11, 17:47
Just flashed with ViX 2.1 and run software upadte in blue button menu. All fine. Heres a screenshot of scan settings.

Found 21 channels. Scan with those settings.

Personally I'd look at your setup and the way your satellites are setup. Very much doubt that theres anything wrong with the receiver.

You cant compare a generic receiver to a linux receiver for scanning, they dont use satellites.xml. If you want to scan using a similar method wait for ViX 2.2 and use the blindscan feature. Some of them 39 channels could even just be data streams or something, not nessacarily TV streams.

pooface
03-06-11, 18:24
Just looking on kingofsat here:

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-0.8W-fta.php

And it looks like there should be 44 tv streams and a total of 239 total services. Of course, some could be dependant on the beam... But, just done a scan with the following settings:

And I got 202 services found, as shown in the following screenshot:

Hope this helps. Doesn't look to have an issues with the drivers this end tho (on vix 2.2 image)...

Dervis
04-06-11, 10:46
I've got the same problem.
5 Sattellite scan tarnsporder with DM800 HD total:4100 channels (Fta-Encrypt)
the same system with clarke-tech9000 total:3500-3700 channels (Fta-Encrypt)
Satellites:
1-7E
2-13E
3-19.2E
4-42.E
5-1W

I think the driver should be reviewed again

pooface
04-06-11, 10:54
I've got the same problem.
5 Sattellite scan tarnsporder with DM800 HD total:4100 channels (Fta-Encrypt)
the same system with clarke-tech9000 total:3500-3700 channels (Fta-Encrypt)
Satellites:
1-7E
2-13E
3-19.2E
4-42.E
5-1W

I think the driver should be reviewed again

Can you not put a bug report through to xtrend?

Dervis
04-06-11, 11:01
You are right.I need to write all over.

pooface
04-06-11, 11:06
Just do a search for "et-view", and put your post on their official forum ;) I would imagine that the developers frequent there ;)

world-of-satellite.co.uk
04-06-11, 11:29
Just an update. The Bishop bought the Et9000 over to me this morning and the receiver was scanning as it should be. He's now investigating his other equipment.

The Bishop
04-06-11, 13:28
Hi,

To confirm the post by WoS, Steffan very kindly allocated some time this morning to check out the ET9000 and confirmed that the tuner is working OK. A scan of 1W for FTA picked up 202 services compared to 117 I was getting when connected to my equipment :confused: .

Many thanks for all your input to the thread and for taking the time to do scans to check the number of services your were receiving. A big thank you to WoS for their excellent support and patience with a newbie to the world of Linux receivers. Last but not least, sorry if some of my posts came across as short tempered, the frustrations with the tuning sometimes got the better of me. :sofahide:

I now need to start looking at other equipment to see what is causing the issue.

The Bishop

bassethound
04-06-11, 13:34
Glad that you are getting to the root of your problems mate :thumbsup:

pooface
05-06-11, 13:20
First thing I would probably check would be the lnb... Might be that it's having problems with upper or lower vertical or horizontal... Which would explain less channels when searched. Is it only 1w you get this problem on tho?! As would have thought other satellites would be affected...

The Bishop
05-06-11, 15:18
First thing I would probably check would be the lnb... Might be that it's having problems with upper or lower vertical or horizontal... Which would explain less channels when searched. Is it only 1w you get this problem on tho?! As would have thought other satellites would be affected...

pooface,

I have not yet tested the precise number of services found on other satellites to see if the issue is impacting other satellites. I confined myself to 1W as it has a low number of FTA TV channels which makes a detailed comparison simpler. The ET9000 receives services from other satellites as I tested that out when configuring the tuner but I did not start to analyse the number of services.

I will change the LNB as a first step. I might move from a quad output LNB to a quattro output LNB with a multiswitch as it offers the option to have more than 4 receivers connected and there is amplification available from the multiswitch. However, before then I will probably place a single full band LNB on the dish, connect it to the ET9000 and see what difference that makes on 1W.

The Bishop

The Bishop
11-06-11, 20:27
Update:

After checking all cabling and termination connectors and finding them to all be OK I moved the dish from 1W round to 28E to see how many services a scan detected. Initially, I detected 558 services of which 399 were TV channels which was quite a lot lower than expected. My next port of call was the LNB, currently an Invacom 0.3db quad C120 LNB, I changed the LNB to an Invacom 0.3db single C120 LNB and repeated the scan. The result, the services detected shot up to 982 of which 671 were TV channels.

Lesson learnt, a faulty LNB was the culprit, the ET9000 is functioning perfectly and is a top class unit with top class support from WoS and the ViX forum. Now for ViX 2.2 .................. :)

The Bishop