PDA

View Full Version : Setup Network to stream from PC/Server to Duo

suityou69
02-06-11, 13:38
Hi guys, before you sigh after reading the title Ive been trying to crack this for days, reading various posts here and elsewhere on the net :)

I'd installed Home Server 2011 with the idea that would be my media hub for all files and then 2x pcs running windows 7 and the duo could pull whats required etc etc

This went down like a bag of s*it mainly due to WHS 2011 having permissions issues and not detecting my router was Upnp compatible despite installing NFS and going through things to configure. (its crud and id advise to avoid it like the plague, stick to SBS!)

I then binned it and installed Amahi HDA, seemingly (or so i thought) this would be a better fit as its sitting on Fedora 14.

I got further than ever before with this and on the duo through Network Browse actually go the shared folders to show, then went about setting the mounts, rebooted everything but still wont show in Media Browse or File Browser as a mount.

Id tried it as NFS and CIFS with the same end result :(

Ive even tried setting the Share on my downloads folder on one Win 7 PC's as detailed previously (setting up a separate Win 7 login for the duo etc), enabling/disabling Homegroup and well just about anything else ive seen that could cause an issue as an alternative just to try and get something to stream from a PC too the Duo

Ive been successful setting up a DynDNS account and streaming out the duo to the www, so think im ok with my way round the router and port forwarding etc but ive got to the end of my tether with it and ask for the great minds to help me out and stop these grey hairs :)

I know its not the Duo or excellent 2.1.4 VIX image, its me or my setup but any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

xarqi
02-06-11, 22:42
I don't know how it works in the VIX image as I use openPLI, but...
I find that directories on my iMac that I share with SMB are not visible in the network browser on my Duo, but, if I just go ahead and create a new mountpoint giving the server IP address and share name (and username and password), the shared volume will be mounted correctly.

suityou69
03-06-11, 20:16
Thanks for the reply, I'll give that suggestion a whirl over the weekend and see if it gets me any closer :)

porche944
07-06-11, 22:08
Mount a simple Windows share, remember to set a user/password on the share in Windows. I've been using Windows shares and now I've got a NetGear ReadyNAS VX+ 4TB and that works also for recording and play back.

suityou69
10-06-11, 18:51
Well after trying just about everything ive finally cracked it, installed djmount on my vix image and voila ! upnp folder showed in the media folder and been streaming avi's, mp4's and mkv's quite happily !!!

Just on another note what sort of streaming speed works for streaming HD stuff? Ive been trying to with around a 700k a sec Homeplug network and its juddery, copy the file onto the VU's HD and plays flawlessly so know its the network

boxer29
14-06-11, 13:16
i am also trying to stream media from my pc hdd ,,
but no luck with media share it wont show up ,
how did you install the djmount ,,is it through vix installer ,,or plugin ,,
can you explain so that i can try it as well
thanks

14-06-11, 13:42
Well after trying just about everything ive finally cracked it, installed djmount on my vix image and voila ! upnp folder showed in the media folder and been streaming avi's, mp4's and mkv's quite happily !!!

Just on another note what sort of streaming speed works for streaming HD stuff? Ive been trying to with around a 700k a sec Homeplug network and its juddery, copy the file onto the VU's HD and plays flawlessly so know its the network

Hi, would be great to know how you installed djmount on the duo if you can. I would like to do the same too.

Thx

suityou69
15-06-11, 20:25
Sorry for the delay in my reply, been insanely busy. Im running the 2.1 image from here (Much appreciation to all the VIX team for such a solid image!) and then have updated it online so now its effectively 2.1.4 (I think) :)

Ok one caveat before I start, ive no idea how many of these steps are/aren't necessary but this is what I did from beginning to end and hey it worked :)

Id tried as mentioned above all other suggestions ive seen here and elsewhere, so already had TVMobli installed on the PC I wanted to stream from

Downloaded this version link (http://www.tvmobili.com/binaries/stable/tvmobili-windows-i386.exe)

Then found a whole heap of plugins on another forum that said should all be installed in order for it to work. (Had to translate the page but that was the jist of it)

Copied them across to the tmp folder and installed using the IPK Installer option in the VIX menu, working through them in alphabetical order. All failed except the upnp one.

((Edit - now ive looked at it again im not sure if it was djmount or the upnp that worked, and the others failed??))

Ive no clue if this had a bearing or not on the end result so will attach them all. Id suggest installing them all, I haven't had any side effects from the failed installs

Once id completed this I rebooted, then went into the plugins menu and saw the upnp option, went in there and started it, rebooted again and then opened File Browser and once id gone into the Media folder the Upnp folder was there !

I couldnt open a file directly from File Browser, so navigated to the same place using Media Browser and saw my shared folders ! Opened up a couple of mp3's, mp4's, avi's and mkv's and all played.

The only issue ive had is streaming the HD stuff, but think thats down to my streaming speed as also mentioned above so would really love to know what others are achieving and at what speeds. The other note is once id used Media Browser to select the files, when i used the R (Recorded TV/Films Button) to watch my recordings on the Duo id get a green screen crash, and then forced reboot.

Seems that using this plugin in conjunction with Media Browser means that when pressing your recordings button it remembers your upnp browse session, tried to load the folder and in turn crashes. This seems to be regardless of if the other pc is on or not.

Found the fix is to go into the plugins menu and disable the upnp plugin when required as apposed to leaving it on all the time. A small price to pay for the end result and no crashes.

Hope this helps you and others !