PDA

View Full Version : Word of Caution if you drive a new diesel

Stanman
31-05-11, 21:21
Well my 56 plate Zafira started losing power and the diagnosis went from a air mass sensor to ecm.

In the end the fault was a clogged up Diesel Particulate filter, I sensed saving some money after hearing the word filter:D:D compared to the Air mass sensor or new ECM until I rang the dealer and found it costs over £800.:eek::eek::eek:

If you have a diesal and only do town runs you need to drive it hard at least once every two months otherwise like me you will have an expensive lesson:mad::mad:

Wish I had know this before:(:(

silverfox0786
01-06-11, 01:03
ouch that must have hurt hard

Sicilian
01-06-11, 05:25
My Alfa gets a good hammering to keep her lively :D

pooface
01-06-11, 05:45
Yup, had similar problem when first had my diesel car. Just driving down road, and all of a sudden, power went. On dash, the little yellow glow plugs was lit up. Drove home slowly, but managed to get there.

Phoned the garage up, and they told me to book it in straight away. Tried it next morning to go to garage, and started fine and all ok. Got to garage, and get a phone call telling me that it's the turbo that's gone, and will cost 1000 quid to sort.

Had a look on internet, and found loads of ppl who had same problem. And, was same thing as u said ... couple times a month, just thrash it! To this day, still using the same turbo that had "broken" (touch wood), and all still fine.

Best way I found to do it, find a steepish hill (go up and down one everyday on way to work), and rape the hell out of the car. Go up it with foot to floor and get to 60mph in 3rd gear ... just pain when u get people driving at30mph up the hill! Hehe

Sent from Tapatalk

silverfox0786
01-06-11, 13:39
and rape the hell out of the car

you given her a name :roflmao:

Conaxthewarrior
15-10-11, 18:39
I need a new car and was seriously considering a diesal but after reading your post , will continue with petrol .....thanks for the info, Stanman.

pooface
15-10-11, 18:46
I need a new car and was seriously considering a diesal but after reading your post , will continue with petrol .....thanks for the info, Stanman.

No need to worry tbh. Since I been doing that, I never had any problems with it :p

hifial
15-10-11, 20:50
An Exhaust company can cut the dpf diesel particle filter out and program the cars ecu to ignore it ,you get better performance as well and it doesn't effect the mot emissions

Stanman
15-10-11, 21:43
An Exhaust company can cut the dpf diesel particle filter out and program the cars ecu to ignore it ,you get better performance as well and it doesn't effect the mot emissions

I read mix views on that as some said if the DPF was fitted and removed they would fail it not that most garages need an excuse:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is going to be my last Vauxhall, this is a common issue with them and the fookers refuse to do the work under warranty, tons of post on vauxhall websites about this issue.

In my case there was no warning either.

@Conax, I would not worry too much about this buddy, just buy a decent diesel like Golf, Beemer etc

Blu-ray
16-10-11, 00:54
Have you considered having a petrol car converted to run on L P G at 69 pence a ltr. I have a Citroen Picasso on L P G and getting
equivalent to 64 mpg.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Larry-G
16-10-11, 05:48
i have a 57 plate diesel astra before that i had a 54 plate diesel corsa before that i had another diesel astra and never had a problem with them at all. but then again i am a or rather was many moons ago a trained mechanic.

dimplenerd
16-02-12, 13:22
oopsie..kinda hard to imagine that though

stick50jr
16-02-12, 15:19
I guess you might recognise my diesel toyota ute in the foreground of my avatar image. Its a single turbo straight six 4.2 litre (1HD motor). It goes well with plenty of torque for pulling bores and dragging machinery around. There is so much fresh air down here that there is no such thing as a 'diesel particulate filter' thank god.

I look at the specs of the euro diesels with common rail direct injection, a myriad of sensors integrated by powerful ecus and achieving wonderful power and economy and for a moment, I'm envious. Then I realise that if I couldn't repair my vehicle in the field when I'm 100km from the nearest sealed road, then I'd really be in the 'shit'. Modern vehicles are just too complicated I reckon. Done over 400,000km so far and I'm too scared to upgrade...

Larry-G
16-02-12, 17:43
Then I realise that if I couldn't repair my vehicle in the field when I'm 100km from the nearest sealed road, then I'd really be in the 'shit'. Modern vehicles are just too complicated I reckon. Done over 400,000km so far and I'm too scared to upgrade...

lol i can relate to that. as i said i have personally not had any issues with diesel particulate filters but i know a few people who only use their cars for the work or school run and do maybe 30 miles a day, its these people who need to get on a motorway once a month and really open it up to burn the filter clean.

jaylar
16-02-12, 22:39
i had my dpf removed from a 306 tdi cost me about 400 at the time past all mots no problems and been fine ever since. There is also an additive you can add directly to the fuel tank to help with the regeneration process . Think all diesel cars after 2007 have them fitted by law but you can remove them if you like

Stanman
16-02-12, 22:42
i had my dpf removed from a 306 tdi cost me about 400 at the time past all mots no problems and been fine ever since. There is also an additive you can add directly to the fuel tank to help with the regeneration process . Think all diesel cars after 2007 have them fitted by law but you can remove them if you like

Not on some of the newer ones from what I have heard. Also the VW apparantly no longer have them fitted.

I did a DIY job on mine cleansed it with caustic soda and its been fine since.

stopi
14-04-12, 23:18
Goto love a modern diesel engine. whats next EGR valve or Dual mass flywheel?
If its a vauxhall be prepared for both.. lol :thumbsup:

cruisinbeatz
26-09-12, 11:11
Get the car remapped to remove it and manually break it out of the car. It serves no real purpose tbh other than to save the cat. But the cat has years and years of life in it. Or you could get someone to regenerate the PF filter, it burns the gunk out of it and leavs it like new. The person that recaps it can also do it. It only costs a fraction of buying a new one for it to fair 2-3 years down the line again.

scruff1963
16-11-12, 01:02
I know this is an old thread but just for information.
I have an 09 citreon berlingo and page 127 of the manual it says it is caused by
saturation of the filter after prolonged urban type driving, low speed, long traffic jams.
It says
drive at a speed higher than 40mph (60km/) for at least 5 minutes as soon as possible when traffic conditions permit.
If after this the light is still on then contact a citreon dealer

Larry-G
16-11-12, 01:06
the easiest way to clean the filter is to drive on a long stretch of road with revs over 20k for around 20 minutes. dont have to go fast just knock it into a lover than normal gear as long as the revs go over 20k for the duration needed.

Mr. Mister
16-11-12, 01:10
the easiest way to clean the filter is to drive on a long stretch of road with revs over 20k for around 20 minutes. dont have to go fast just knock it into a lover than normal gear as long as the revs go over 20k for the duration needed.

you mean 2k buddy.. not 20k..

Diesel vehicles hit the limiter at around 4k - 4500 rpm.. F1 cars hit the limiter at 18k rpm..

Larry-G
16-11-12, 01:15
lol 20k, 2k you know what i mean. ( plus ive been awake for 48 hrs ).

Rob van der Does
16-11-12, 06:23
......with revs over 20k .....
WOW that's fast :D
Must be a sporty type of diesel you have :eek:

Actually it's not enough to do a decent cleaning; better would be to give the motor a decent load for some time; a high-speed motorway trip would be fine (say some 20 minutes at a speed of 75MPH), or better: pull a caravan in a mountain trip!

twol
16-11-12, 13:03
the easiest way to clean the filter is to drive on a long stretch of road with revs over 20k for around 20 minutes. dont have to go fast just knock it into a lover than normal gear as long as the revs go over 20k for the duration needed.I have had to do this 4 times with my (now) 3 year old VW Golf but it is mainly used in town, with a few burns up the local autobahns.
However 3 weeks ago, my wife forgot to mention the light had come on and it ended up in the garage, where they successfully regenerated it.
Absolute pain, but no need to replace

ianc1990
20-01-13, 20:57
Hi guys - Im new to the forum so hello!

Had my DPF light come on recently too but I code VWs/Audis as a hobby so luckily for me, I managed to activate 'regeneration' mode which circulates exhaust gasses to the DPF taking it from 200C to about 800C. This mixed with 2000+ rpm for 15 minutes took me from 80% blocked to 0%

You don't generally need to activate regen mode to clean it but you clear it up MUCH quicker if you do! (15 mins compared to 1-2 hours for an 80% blockage)

Happy to give anyone close (york) a hand with regen if you ever need it!

Ian

madian
05-03-14, 20:49
Also be aware now mot testers have to physically check the a dpf is still fitted and if not and should be its a fail and has to be refitted so be careful dpf removal could be very costly in the end its also technically illegal

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk

Larry-G
05-03-14, 20:50
Also be aware now mot testers have to physically check the a dpf is still fitted and if not and should be its a fail and has to be refitted so be careful dpf removal could be very costly in the end its also technically illegal

Just do what i did, get rid of the diesel and buy a petrol. LOL.

madian
05-03-14, 20:52
Did do got a petrol BMW with an LPG conversion get the equiv of 60mpg from a 528i ;-)

Larry-G
05-03-14, 20:54
Did do got a petrol BMW with an LPG conversion get the equiv of 60mpg from a 528i ;-)

lol, i went for a corsa just for the work run. for the fields i have a old type 2 landrover with a gun rest and lamp kit for those pesky foxes.

short360uk
05-03-14, 20:57

Or remove the Dpf hollow it out refit then remap ecu as far as mot is concerned it's still fitted and will still pass emissions check

madian
05-03-14, 20:58
Brings back men's had a series 3 with a Chevy small block long time ago that though

stevejd2001
19-04-14, 10:00
Buy dpf cleaner if running round town it lowers the temp required to empty the dpf?

Divvy
29-10-15, 00:19

This. Did it with a Modus some years back. Find a test station, a place where they only do MOT's is a good place to start for obvious reasons. Get the ECU cleared and maybe blank off the EGR if you're feeling adventurous. And before the MOT get the engine nice and warm and give it a bloody good welly up the bypass.

JamieV
29-07-16, 21:02
Having no DPF is an mot failure but....
You can do as I did on my 2011 Vito
Have the DPF removed, cut a square out of the top and bash out all the internals, weld back up and refit and reprogram the ecu to forget the DPF
Cost me 300 ish quid cash

That way then on the mot it looks as if you have a DPF and they can't see the welded square on top !

twol
30-07-16, 06:45
Sounds like you should apply to the VW engineering group, they would would approve the concept if not the implementation technique:)