PDA

View Full Version : Need help...got my first Vu+

NewbieVUduo
30-05-11, 23:39
Hi everyone,

First of all I would like to say hello and say how grateful I am to have found this forum.

I have a Vu+ Duo with Black Hole (not sure which version), I have been having a few problems with the set up:

1) Where can I find the strength of the satellite signal? In Manuel it says AGC is on the infobar when you press OK twice but its not
2) What is SNR and how important is it to picture quality? ( I get between 40% where I get bad picture quality- 74% good picture quality)
3) Some SD channels are very blotchy, how can I improve this?

I don't have a problem with the HD picture quality its amazing!!

I look forward to hearing your response.

Thank You

Regards

neil306
31-05-11, 00:04
if you press ok twice it will give you all the info you need

Donnie
31-05-11, 10:02
You don't say which sats you are trying to get, size of dish and your location.
All are important for someone to try and help you.
The image version is not important for the problems you are having.

NewbieVUduo
31-05-11, 23:03
Thank you for your responses,

When I press the OK button twice it does not show me the AGC (satellite signal) it show SNR between 40-74% and the BER which is always 0. What is SNR? is it better to have a higher percentage of SNR?

How do I improve the SD picture quality?

I live in the UK in Birmingham

I'm trying to find out the signal strength on my satellite, the SD channels are not as sharpe on the VU+ duo as they where on my DREAMBox 500, how do I improve this?

Regards

Alias1
31-05-11, 23:30
SNR = Signal to Noise Ratio the higher it is the better the quality and more resistant to rain fade.
40% is right on the margin of the picture breaking up.
Are you using a motor if so it might be slightly off.
A couple of things you can do to improve SNR is make sure your dish is aligned correctly, buy a better LNB , get a larger dish
AGC = Automatic Gain Control completely different to SNR.
BER = Bit Error Rate that tells you if you are taking errors with a 40% SNR I would expect you to be taking errors so something does not gel in what you are saying

pooface
31-05-11, 23:34
Since all things are digital in what you're asking, the snr is not going to affect picture quality...

I would say, that the likely thing is, the tv you are using to receive the picture. I would guess that it's changed since the dm500 you originally had?! This would explain the change in picture quality. Some tv's deliver a much better picture than others in regards to sd...

Alias1
01-06-11, 00:18
Since all things are digital in what you're asking, the snr is not going to affect picture quality...

Not true if SNR drops enough you will get break ups in the picture and you will see the BER climb
You are right its not what he is describing I suggest he plug in his dm500 and check again

NewbieVUduo
01-06-11, 19:15
Thank you for the replies.

Its the same TV, only changer the receiver from DM500 to Vu+Duo, I'm looking into a new bigger dish...the bigger the better..right???. Its only the SD channels and only a handful that have a decrease in picture quality, the HD channels are at 74-79% SNR and are very good quality.

Regards

pooface
01-06-11, 20:11
Have you tried different channel settings? e.g. try with likra, then c@jton, then catseye etc etc, see how things go. If they're all the same, it could be 1 of a few things ... fault tuner, faulty lnb, dodgy dish alignment, etc... But, I wouldn't think there's likely the be a fault, since most of us who have had dm500 etc on the same dish and then upgraded haven't had any problems...