PDA

View Full Version : multi sat on one dish

lost_one
23-05-11, 17:36
Hello,

I'm a complete newbie to DIY sat, I have a couple of questions.

I currently have a bog standard Sky+ system and now I want to be able to receive/watch programs on Eurobird 9A (I'm American living in Germany and want to watch U.S. sports). Is this possible using the existing dish with another LNB/DiSec/switch? I know I will need a new receiver, (thinking about the Vu+ Duo)

With the above hypothetical setup, would I be able to record Sky @28E while watching Eurobird @9E? I think I would need two dishes for this???? Am i wrong??

Do you recommend a motorised dish for what I want to do?

TIA

Stanman
23-05-11, 20:14
Hi mate and welcome, its not advised to start multiple threads on the same subject.
As for recording it will handle two sats no problem, but you might need a big dish as they are quite apart 28.2E and 9E or as you have mentioned motorised.

basilyoung
23-05-11, 21:04
you would need two dish,s for the cost, you might as well go motorized, if you get the duo, this would really be a must, in this situation, you will then be able to watch and record on 28 east, and or watch 9 east whilst recording on 28 east

pooface
24-05-11, 10:43
To record 9e whilst watching 28e, you would need either two lnbs (would require a dish large enough to get the offset), or 2 dishes...

banie01
24-05-11, 11:39
You will need at least an 80cm dish preferably even bigger ;) to maximise your signal on offset sats, the spread between 28.2e and 9e is easily achieved with a 90cm Dish and 2LNBS.
A better set up would be 2 dual LNBs into 2 1x2 diseqc switches to allow multisat PVR capability.
Although with going the multisat route on a 90cm dish you can add a lot more fairly easily, I have 9e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 23.5e and sky on 28.2 all on 1 90cm dish with feeds into a Vu Duo via 2 1x4 diseqc switches.
Take a look at your sats available on one of the sites offering the footprints and see what setup best suits you.

lost_one
25-05-11, 16:53
Thanks for all of the ideas.
I'm sorry for being a little ignorant about all this but what exactly does the diseqc switch do?

If I keep my current Sky subscription with packages, is the Vu Duo going to be a nightmare to get up and running for just the Sky portion?

Approximately how much would I be looking at for a Quality 90cm dish, 2 Quality dual LNBs and 2 Quality1x4 diseqc switches?

I know I'm bombarding you with a lot of questions, but I'm trying to learn and save a few $/€/£s.

Are there any tricks for aligning the LNBs and/or brackets on one dish?

TIA

Larry-G
25-05-11, 16:56
in very simple terms, a diseqc switch basically lets your receiver switch between LNB's so that you can view that particular satellite network.

silverfox0786
25-05-11, 17:27
try an inverto system like i have works a treat

banie01
25-05-11, 17:41
Thanks for all of the ideas.
I'm sorry for being a little ignorant about all this but what exactly does the diseqc switch do?

If I keep my current Sky subscription with packages, is the Vu Duo going to be a nightmare to get up and running for just the Sky portion?

Approximately how much would I be looking at for a Quality 90cm dish, 2 Quality dual LNBs and 2 Quality1x4 diseqc switches?

I know I'm bombarding you with a lot of questions, but I'm trying to learn and save a few $/€/£s.

Are there any tricks for aligning the LNBs and/or brackets on one dish?

TIA

A diseqc switch allows you to swap between lnbs pointed at different satellites to allow viewing of multiple sats via one cable into one tuner.(i.e...4 LNBs into 1 switch, 1 Cable from switch into tuner)
For prices on the gear you are after, I'm doing the site sponsor a disservice here(And I'm sorry)
But you live in Germany, where prices on the majority of satellite equipment is as low as you are going to get, do a little googling with your nearest town to find a local shop(with the advice your after/need probably your best bet), or better yet just go to one of the big german online suppliers.

With the sats your after I'd set up here in Ireland aligned on 16e and work out my LNB off sets from there(maybe with recentreing my adaptor bar to allow more easterly offset)
But I'm not sure what signal levels would be like in Germany, you may need to align the dish on your weakest Sat and get your other Sat offset from there(Local advice will help you a lot here)
Then I'd run the feeds as follows 9e LNBoutput1 and 28.2 output 1 into a Diseqc 1x2 switch into Vu+ Tuner A, with 9e output 2 and 28.2 output 2 into a 2nd Switch feeding Vu+ Tuner B.
This will allow watch/record PVR across the Sats you are after.

As for alignment tips and tricks...Get a Pro!!!LOL It can be a headmelting experience aligning multisat ;)
But if you are going the DIY route,
1 set the correct slope on the LNB adaptor(This is Vital)
2 Slide the LNBs slowly to find the Sats you're after,
3 Get strongest signal you can via left/right movement,
4 when thats done adjust the Skew of the LNB to find the maximum signal
5 Repeat for every LNB you install ;)

I got great advice on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056197308for my own setup and there a few links on the thread for even more info.
Hope that helps.
+1 on Silverfoxes Inverto suggestion ;) if you decide to go after more than just the 2 sats you've mentiond

lost_one
26-05-11, 20:41
How do i set the correct slope on the LNB? I checked Lyngsat and Googlemaps, there is about a 3 degree difference in elevation between 28.2E and 9E from my location, how do I compensate for this?

You can only adjust azimuth with the LNB adaptor bars, correct?

I'm thinking 19.2E would be a good center or primary focus point and then work from there, good idea?

I consider myself to be technically/electronically savvy, should I just use googlemaps/dishpointing websites or invest in a satfinder?

TIA

basilyoung
27-05-11, 00:08
http://www.dishpointer.com/

this site will help you

basilyoung
27-05-11, 00:13
How do i set the correct slope on the LNB? I checked Lyngsat and Googlemaps, there is about a 3 degree difference in elevation between 28.2E and 9E from my location, how do I compensate for this?

You can only adjust azimuth with the LNB adaptor bars, correct?

I'm thinking 19.2E would be a good center or primary focus point and then work from there, good idea?

I consider myself to be technically/electronically savvy, should I just use googlemaps/dishpointing websites or invest in a satfinder?

TIA

19 east would be your "centre", although I think 2 dishes would be best, but that an opinion only

get a sig from 19 east first,....via a fta channel

then 28 east would be about 9 degrees to the right as it will be an offset signal, and 9 east would be about 9 dregrees to the left of centre

banie01
27-05-11, 11:10

Any multi LNB adaptor Arm I've used is adjustable for slope with a gradiated scale to allow the approximate slope to be found quickly. (and then nailed down with a satfinder or the signal meter on your box)
For reference 28.2'e will be higher and to the left of prime focus and 9'e will be lower and to the right. So you set your bar higher on the left with whichever scale is on your adaptor(as you look at the dish from the front)
Basil's advice on using 19.2e as a focus is good, use an FTA channel get the strongest signal possible the lock down the dish and find your offsets.
And Dispointer.com is great for getting an aiming point for initial setup.

lost_one
27-05-11, 22:54
Thanks for all the quick responses.

I'm thinking of going the Inverto route.

If I want to receive 9E, 19.2E and Sky on 28.2E with room to expand or add more SATs/LNBs in the future what exactly do I need? I also want to be able to record from any Sat while viewing the others(I know I don't want much!!)

Which Inverto kit would you recommend ??

Twin LNBs should be good enough for what I want do do, correct?

TIA

Stanman
27-05-11, 22:57
Either one of these should be ok
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/LNB/Inverto-Multiconnect-Systems/Inverto-MultiConnect-Set01
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/LNB/Inverto-Multiconnect-Systems/Inverto-MultiConnect-Set02

lost_one
27-05-11, 23:09
If I get an Inverto kit, can I ONLY use Inverto LNBs?

basilyoung
27-05-11, 23:26
you would be best to get inverto "slimline" lnbs for 19/16/13 est, but at present, standard inverto lnb,s will be ok,...another note worth thinking about, is to get twin or quad lnb,s, as you might want extra units in the future

lost_one
29-05-11, 12:52
Is there any kind of positioner menu on the Vu+ Duo? Is it useful?

Should I use the OEM/original image/software when I first align the dish or can I load VIX image straight away?

Thanks

bassethound
29-05-11, 13:25
Is there any kind of positioner menu on the Vu+ Duo? Is it useful?

Should I use the OEM/original image/software when I first align the dish or can I load VIX image straight away?

Thanks

You can download the user manual below which explains how to set up the motor

you can load the Vix image as there is no need to load the original image to set up the dish

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?5221-Vu-Duo-and-VU-Solo-english-manual&highlight=user+manuals