PDA

View Full Version : Bad mkv playability - why and how to improve?

hiohaa
23-05-11, 13:36
ive found the vu+duo to be quite poor in playing back all my mkv 1080 movies. (these would be x264 normally)

Sometimes its 30min, sometimes after 10min, the sound will stop with the video still going, and i'll have to seek rewind by 1min, and play, for the movie to play again normally.
Or the video will just stop for no apparent reason, I seek back 1min, play, and its fine.
It struggles sometimes with even HD stuff recorded off TV, sometimes its fine, sometimes it will stop every few minutes, hang for a while, then start playing again.

its as if there are points in the movie where maybe its not quite perfect, and the vu+duo just gives up, instead of processing and continuing.

as a result ive had to resort to just using my computer as a media player instead. all files work fine with no playback problems.

Q1. Is the vu+duo just not that capable as a media player? or is there something i need to change, some settings somewhere, to improve it?
Q2. If its the case that vu+duo is crap as a media player - has anyone got any suggestions? i dont really like using my loud computer just to play video files - ive heard of that Popcorn thing, but theres also this Western Digital TV Live HUB. Any recommendations?

pooface
23-05-11, 13:49
WHere abouts are the files stored? Are they locally on a usb/sata/e-sata, or are they on a cifs/nfs network share?

Also, which image are you using? Do you have all the latest drivers installed etc?

bassethound
23-05-11, 13:53
Strange mine plays 1080p/720p MKV great looping it through my amp watched a few movies over the weekend no problems

the only problems i have if if i try and fast forward or skip sections

i have problems playing back XVID and DIVX i get a lot of strutting

have you tried installing autoresolution plugin

hiohaa
23-05-11, 14:01
WHere abouts are the files stored? Are they locally on a usb/sata/e-sata, or are they on a cifs/nfs network share?

Also, which image are you using? Do you have all the latest drivers installed etc?

Files stored on the vu+duo's local hard drive (1TB samsung) - transferred via FTP from computer.
Image: the first VIX 2.0.0

what does autoresolution plugin do?

bassethound
23-05-11, 14:10
The autoresolution plugin will automatically adjust the screen resolution or you can manually change the settings to your needs

hiohaa
23-05-11, 14:18
The autoresolution plugin will automatically adjust the screen resolution or you can manually change the settings to your needs

dont have any issue with screen res............

pooface
23-05-11, 14:32
I would say it might be worth reflashing with the latest version (currently 2.1), and then run all online updates to update to 2.1.4. Or, wait until 2.2 is released. But as basset said, never had any problems with mkv files. Even xvid is considerably better than it used to be...

mauri
24-05-11, 23:08
same here, seems to me that vuduo is improving its file playing capabilities with each new VIX release. Even avi files play more smoothly now. btw I love the subtitles capabilities of vuduo - just throw the subs into the same directory with the movie (same naming as well), and the subs can be activated through the audio/subs menu of vuduo. sweet! :D
My networked media player HP Mediasmart is in the drawer now, since vuduo entered the house. :)
Even my SKYHD box had the same fate. And yes, even my local provider set top box joined them lately!
to me, vuduo seems to be an ALL in ONE box!

p.s. I do have latest VIX 2.1.4 (with the latest drives and the latest original enigma release of april 3)

hiohaa
26-05-11, 04:06
p.s. I do have latest VIX 2.1.4 (with the latest drives and the latest original enigma release of april 3)

thanks, will try this then - but what is this 'latest original enigma release'? is this something i have to install on top of the VIX image? up to now i just thought these images was the only thing i had to update?!
please expand.