PDA

View Full Version : ??? Enigma2 removed from VU+Duo ???

shadowman007
21-05-11, 23:23
Hi there I was on ebay and alot of sellers saying their listings for a VU+Duo were removed due to dreambox owning the rights to the enigma2 and are selling it as a freesat receiver does anyone no anything about this ? one seller said that their VU+DUO receivers have been quote "reprogrammed the receiver to remove Enigma 2 Apparently the receiver infringed a Licence owned by Dream-Multimedia so this receiver is sold "Vanilla" clients" what's a Vanilla clients ? So does that mean people who have enigma2 will have to remove it aswell ?

pooface
21-05-11, 23:27
Have a read of this thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8269-Brands-dispute-Dream-Multimedia-has-taken-action-against-VU-Duo&highlight=enigma)... ;)

Nice to see that dmm have ebay in their pocket as well by the sound of it

basilyoung
21-05-11, 23:28
its nothing to bother about

its not Enigma2 thats owned by DM, its the name

its a buls*it action, thats doomed to fail

Sicilian
22-05-11, 06:14
Hi there I was on ebay and alot of sellers saying their listings for a VU+Duo were removed due to dreambox owning the rights to the enigma2 and are selling it as a freesat receiver does anyone no anything about this ? one seller said that their VU+DUO receivers have been quote "reprogrammed the receiver to remove Enigma 2 Apparently the receiver infringed a Licence owned by Dream-Multimedia so this receiver is sold "Vanilla" clients" what's a Vanilla clients ? So does that mean people who have enigma2 will have to remove it aswell ?

The guy your refering too hasn't got a clue what he's talking about :roflmao: DMM have trademarked the term 'Enigma2', thats it. Basically sellers on ebay where forced to remove the words 'Enigma' and 'Enigma2'.

silverfox0786
22-05-11, 11:29
They say they trademarked the name but then I recall digi postin that enigma is already trademarks to a jewellers so whats that all about

xarqi
23-05-11, 04:54
They say they trademarked the name but then I recall digi postin that enigma is already trademarks to a jewellers so whats that all about

Trademarks are applied for, and granted, for use in specifically defined categories. One person could trademark "Acme" for use in insurance; another person for use in paint. Neither would have any grounds for action against a person who wanted to sell Acme solar water heaters.

Rob van der Does
23-05-11, 11:22
Trademarks are applied for, and granted, for use in specifically defined categories. One person could trademark "Acme" for use in insurance; another person for use in paint. Neither would have any grounds for action against a person who wanted to sell Acme solar water heaters.
That's quite correct.
See the attached document for Dream's registration.

b.t.w.: The only thing DM has achieved so far, is providing VU+ a lot of free publicity!

Saddle Sniffer
24-05-11, 16:31
Is it easy to put back on the receiver the enigmus2 programs if it has been deleted by en ebay seller?

Sniffos

Larry-G
24-05-11, 16:46
Is it easy to put back on the receiver the enigmus2 programs if it has been deleted by en ebay seller?

Sniffos

nothing has been removed from the receiver, all the ebay sellers are removing are the wording ENIGMA 2 from their sales pages.

Saddle Sniffer
24-05-11, 18:53
nothing has been removed from the receiver, all the ebay sellers are removing are the wording ENIGMA 2 from their sales pages.

WRONG - dis ebay seller reemove the enigmus2 programs:

Sniffos

basilyoung
24-05-11, 19:08
enima2 software, is different to enima2 firmware

the unit would come with its operating system, ( enigma2 ) software would be for example "a black hole image"

I say again, as others have, its all in the name

Larry-G
24-05-11, 19:22

Sniffos

i do not mean to argue but it is you who is in the wrong. ENIGMA 2 is the operating system of the receiver, no matter which image is loaded be it the original / open pli / black hole / VIX or any other they are all ENIGMA 2. the box would not operate without the ENIGMA 2 image loaded to it.

Saddle Sniffer
24-05-11, 20:48
i do not mean to argue but it is you who is in the wrong. ENIGMA 2 is the operating system of the receiver, no matter which image is loaded be it the original / open pli / black hole / VIX or any other they are all ENIGMA 2. the box would not operate without the ENIGMA 2 image loaded to it.

If you check the ebay link then the seller says he reemoves the enigmus2 programs, I am only telling what the ebay seller is saying in his advert, perhaps the seller dose not know what he talks about for software and firmware, this is possible ?

I think I am right, the seller indicates he reemoves programs, U said sellers on ebay do not reemoves programs only wording of adverts, who is right?

Sniffos

Larry-G
24-05-11, 21:19
If you check the ebay link then the seller says he reemoves the enigmus2 programs, I am only telling what the ebay seller is saying in his advert, perhaps the seller dose not know what he talks about for software and firmware, this is possible ?

I think I am right, the seller indicates he reemoves programs, U said sellers on ebay do not reemoves programs only wording of adverts, who is right?

Sniffos

there is no physical way the seller can remove the firmware and stll have a functioning receiver, he removed the wording ENIGMA 2, at the very most he may have also chosen to ship the box with its default factory image which is still a ENIGMA 2 image.

pooface
24-05-11, 21:37

Sniffos

Gave you thanks by mistake... Meant to edit... That seller is a competitor to the site sponser, so link removed...

As other said, enigma2 is the main OS of all these boxes. E2 isn't a licensed program like windows, so all boxes can be sold with it. DMM are running scared, and so trying to ban people from using the name as part of their adveritisting...

Believe what you want. You can easilt download the image from vu home page, vix image from this site, and many other images from this site/the internet...

Saddle Sniffer
24-05-11, 21:46
Gave you thanks by mistake... Meant to edit... That seller is a competitor to the site sponser, so link removed...

Sorry, did not wish to brake the rules, I thought that ebay was OK for a link as others had references to ebay, no more ebay links from me.

I will ask the forum sellers what programs they have on there boxes and if they have the enigmus2 programs and a nice price I will offer some money for 1.

Thanks to all you for all your help.

Sniffos

basilyoung
24-05-11, 22:01
The interesting thing about all of this, is the ironic history, ( destruction of dictatorshipto be replaced with the same )

when the dreambox ( enigma 1 ) first came to us, it was a ground breaking, linux based system, which brought linux into to the front, as an alternitive to all sorts of things, more peeps are into linux based comp systems, recievers, and many other day to day electronics are linux/enigmaD* based

for years, DM were attacked by the likes of ND*, They had the digital licence blocked, hence the funny HDMI cable on the orig 800, various court actions against them, due to the ability to read cards, via softcams ( still currently under attack ... hence the rules here ) DM is rumoured to be behind various developments that have been used by most of us,
then came other linux based units
Most failed to get a foothold until the technomate 9100 came along, but no big impact on DM sales
But now, there are several units on the market, that rival DM,s units in a big way
So now, its DM taking court action against the new units, in pretty much the same way as they were attacked,

We all need to be gratefull to DM, but also DM need to need to move with modern trends, they do not own enigma 1 or 2,
they claim to own the name, its true that the new units can use DM based images, but DM units can also use non DM images, all are enigma 2

pooface
24-05-11, 22:13
All of this is business. What dm are trying to do is to take down the opposition... The worst thing is, that although dmm develop e2, they cannot stop a box shipping with e2. It's like developer of linux trademarking the name linux, and stopping any retailer for shipping a box with linux and advertising it...

As for ebay link, they are not breaking the rules per say, but the one u linked to is a big sat retailer, which does break the rules...

samot4
26-05-11, 07:39
Actualy enigma was first developed for the Dbox2.A settopbox made by Nokia.Philips and Sagem for Premiere(now sky germeny) in Germeny in the 90ies.Some smart guys figured out it was possible to load a linux based firmware to the boxes.This was the start of the open-source project - TuxBox wich later developed Nutrino and Enigma.Dream Multimedia exploited these developments and started manufactoring the the Dreambox wich in many ways was inferior to the original Dbox2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBox2
Dbox2 are still in use mostly in germany and can nowdays be equipped with with hd.They are mostly sold on ebay.I own 2 of them myself.

sonc
26-05-11, 10:54
fyi....I installed the latest Black Hole image (1.6.1) last night, and the bootlogo has been changed from "Starting Enigma II" to "Starting GUI"

canthackit
26-05-11, 11:07
fyi....I installed the latest Black Hole image (1.6.1) last night, and the bootlogo has been changed from "Starting Enigma II" to "Starting GUI"

don't it all make you laugh DMM set's the standards then when it works against them they say "it's our bat our ball and we're going home"

regards: canthackit

samot4
26-05-11, 11:59
Best thing would proberbly be if all teams developing enigma2 imiges for non dreamboxes started using the name Tuxbox2 instaead.