PDA

View Full Version : Shall I get one?

mark_hopley
18-05-11, 21:55
I sold my duo and now regret doing so. Am gonna get another but was now wondering if this receiver is better.

I would appreciate any views on people preference on this or the VU+ Duo please ....

basilyoung
18-05-11, 22:04
I have both the 9000, and duo

the 9000 looks a lot better in the front room, and all in all, I think the 9000 is a better unit

but this is just my opinion, and the duo is a very good unit as well

Sicilian
18-05-11, 22:10
Just replied to your PM ;)

jcm193
18-05-11, 22:18
How do the sensitivity on the tuner compare on the 9000 compared to the Vu+duo out of interest

mark_hopley
18-05-11, 22:23
I have both the 9000, and duo

the 9000 looks a lot better in the front room

That was one of the things that was pushing me towards this one. Was never exactly over the moon with the duo's looks although was a very good receiver indeed.

Sic also seems to lean towards the 9000 too :)

basilyoung
18-05-11, 23:00
well actually,..had to buy 2,....its cheaper than a devorse

pooface
19-05-11, 10:24
I myself prefer the et9000, the missus prefers the duo... Altho I only marginally prefer the et9000, as I seem to get a slightly better picture from it out of the box. Both are really great boxes. If you fancy a change, the et9000 it is. If you wanna stick with what you know, then get the duo :p

One thing I wanna say as well ... remote. Previously, I preferred the duo remote, as the et9000 remote is fugly. But, after using the 9000 remote more, I'm kind of preferring it to the duo, as I like the extra buttons it has. But, the duo remote it much better quality in my opinion. I have a sticky key on the et9000 that sometimes requires a harder button press to get it to work. I know that's just my remote, but I think it's the design of the keys that has made it happen :p But again, just my opinion...

Sicilian
19-05-11, 10:28
Personally I feel the quality of the remote is just as good as the Duo, just takes getting used to the layout as you would any other remote. No sticky buttons here, sure ya little boy aint spilt any sticky stuff onto the keys? :p

pooface
19-05-11, 10:30
Personally I feel the quality of the remote is just as good as the Duo, just takes getting used to the layout as you would any other remote. No sticky buttons here, sure ya little boy aint spilt any sticky stuff onto the keys? :p

Yup, he only gets to hold the remote when not eating or drinking :p Plus, it's been like that since I got it :p It's the number 6 key ... nightmare when doing an epg search :p In regards to quality, I think the rubber on the duo remote feels better, and it's not so raised up and square as on the et9000 ... I think that's what makes me feel like it's a cheap remote :p

Sicilian
19-05-11, 10:33
Yup, he only gets to hold the remote when not eating or drinking :p Plus, it's been like that since I got it :p It's the number 6 key ... nightmare when doing an epg search :p In regards to quality, I think the rubber on the duo remote feels better, and it's not so raised up and square as on the et9000 ... I think that's what makes me feel like it's a cheap remote :p

:whistle::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Enzo
19-05-11, 10:44
Hi

I would also recommend the ET9000, great machine and with Vix-Team support you are on the safe side,the design of the Duo, I personally like not so.

drs101
19-05-11, 13:54
had mine 2 weeks very happy so far.

wedgehog
19-05-11, 13:55
Well I was thinking about one but having just read the sticky about the battery warning, I am not too keen now. :eek:

Sicilian
19-05-11, 14:37
Well I was thinking about one but having just read the sticky about the battery warning, I am not too keen now. :eek:

Read the full thread, a solution is going to released incase a user ever needs to replace the battery.

Alias1
19-05-11, 14:46
How do the sensitivity on the tuner compare on the 9000 compared to the Vu+duo out of interest
Hanging of the same dish with dual LNB they are about the same.
As for picture quality the last set of drivers have it on par with the et9000 IMO.
Another point the Vu+Duo runs a lot colder then the et9000 I had to place a laptop fan under mine to cool it down then again it gets hot down here.
One thing I dont like about the et9000 is the fact that it has a whole pile of heat shrink around the cable going from the front panel to the mother board looks like a balls up in the design some where and yes I am a electronics engineer :)
The et9000 has a newer processor and supports true PIP on SD channels but boot up speed on both boxes is about the same .
The real selling plus for me is the Vu+duo comes with a 2 year warranty down under dont know about the UK

Sicilian
19-05-11, 15:02
If I'm honest I've run my Duo with fan disconnected since I got it (please dont do this as it could invalidate your warranty) just to see if it would be ok, its has been fine. Now both my Duo and ET9000 sit on glass shelves with plenty of airflow and heat generation is about the same.

wedgehog
19-05-11, 15:24
Read the full thread, a solution is going to released incase a user ever needs to replace the battery.I did read the full thread and I wish I had a £1.00 for every time I have been told there will be a fix for something on a sat receiver.

Enzo
19-05-11, 15:38
I did read the full thread and I wish I had a £1.00 for every time I have been told there will be a fix for something on a sat receiver.

Hi

This problem was already fixed, I've seen that people have taken out the Baterie and nothing happened, but please do not imitate

wedgehog
19-05-11, 16:25
Hi Enzo, are we absolutely certain of this? because If this problem is fixed I may purchase one, but I am not spending all that money on hearsay.

Enzo
19-05-11, 16:35
Hi Enzo, are we absolutely certain of this? because If this problem is fixed I may purchase one, but I am not spending all that money on hearsay.

Hi

Do not worry my friend, this battery will last at least 10 years and more, I do not know any person,how have problems with the Baterie

pooface
19-05-11, 16:39
As enzo says, unless you wanna go ripping out the battery, then go ahead and buy. If you do wanna rip out the battery, then that's more your fool imo, as you know the risk that comes from doing that. Plus, you'll still have a working box ... just have to wait for the manufacturers to fix it... :p

wedgehog
19-05-11, 17:00
Hi Poo, I have no intention of ripping out the battery, but having been involved in electronics for more years than I care to think about, it just feels wrong, and a very bad designe that the whole system is dependant on one small battery :eek: Batteries are not the most reliable thing in the world. Is it a button cell like in a PC's bios? or a re chargeable cell with tags soldered to the board?

basilyoung
19-05-11, 17:21
its a comp battery wedgie,

as far as the removal issue goes, untill clarkteck state other wise, its not safe to remove it, end of

before any purchase, if you are unsure, then dont, I have to say though, it is a very nice unit, but the VU+ does not rely on a battery, and is almost as good
my preference at this time though is the 9000,

wedgehog
19-05-11, 19:23
Ok Baz, thanks mate ;)

pinco333
19-05-11, 22:17
cpu ET9000 = BCM 7413 (dual core)
cpu VU+DUO = BCM 7405 (dual thread)

Stanman
19-05-11, 22:22
I have both and not much difference betweem the two to be honest. both run vix image and boot times are about same and ditto with channel changes. One difference is the internal card reader appears to give lower times than the ET but in real world never been a problem.
I intially did not like the ET remote but now prefer it as the layout is imho better than the vu. It does run hotter but thats because of the lack of fan, though one can be retro fitted.

Alias1
20-05-11, 03:01
Just out of curiosity do you guys get the 2 year warranty with the Vu+Duo.
@scillian the fan is in the box for a reason ( really useful especially if you add a HDD ) and the cooler the box runs the longer the life of the box.
My Vu+Duo is in an enclosed cabinet and lucky if it gets luke warm and thats with a HDD added to it :)

Huevos
20-05-11, 13:05
The features you lot are talking about are just icing. The only major difference is: blind-search v no-blind-search.

Stanman
20-05-11, 14:59
Just out of curiosity do you guys get the 2 year warranty with the Vu+Duo.
@scillian thpe fan is in the box for a reason ( really useful especially if you add a HDD ) and the cooler the box runs the longer the life of the box.
My Vu+Duo is in an enclosed cabinet and lucky if it gets luke warm and thats with a HDD added to it :)
No two years here, its one standard unless the retailer offers it,iirc no one does. There is however european regs you can invoke under conditiond that will offer some rights.