PDA

View Full Version : Review of Xtrend ET5000

Sicilian
04-05-11, 12:16
I’ve been testing out the Xtrend ET5000 for approx a couple of weeks now, using a Beta ViX Team image, so thought It was about time I posted a quick review.

I was pleasantly surprised with the receiver styling and looks when I first opened, the pictures I’ve seen floating around really don’t do it justice. Looks great in my opinion. I’ve attached some photo’s too, sorry I’m no great photographer.

I was glad to see that the Xtrend ET5000 has an external PSU, this would result in less heat being generated inside the receiver.

Build quality is excellent, just as good as any Dreambox or VU+ receiver. Remote control feels nice, more or less like the ET9000 remote.

Connected receiver to Diseqc motor, had no issues with a Techomate TM-2600, just sent across my usual Enigma2 settings and away it went.

Tested Oscam, CCcam and Mgcamd, all work well with my official cards, card readers are spot on, as good as any Smargo in my opinion.

Picture quality is fantastic, comparable to any VU+ or the ET9000.

Tested full scanning and worked as good as anything else I’ve tested. This receiver is Blindscan compatible, so if anyone wants this tested please post, providing I’m able to tune the satellite in question in the south east of the UK I’ll try for you.

One thing I noticed it that this unit it missing a scart socket, but to be honest its no big deal as you can use a A/V to scart adapter. Video outputs can be seen in the photos, it has HDMI, component (which can be used @ 1080i) and standard video. So plenty of choice for most people.

F type loopthrough works spot on providing the receiver is in deep standby.

Recording to USB drive worked flawlessly.

It’s fanless design means that it runs silent too, does not get too warm either due to PSU being external and no internal HDD in a compact space.

Overall I think this is a fantastic little receiver that will give any linux Enigma 2 a good run for its money with its dual core Broadcom CPU and 256mb of DDR ram its works really fast! Faster than any DM800 I’ve tried and just as fast as its bigger brother the ET9000!

I think the only negative thing I can find to write is that its does not have any CI slots, but to be honest with it being able to use the popular softcams and great performing card readers, I really don’t see that being a great issue.

Want anything tested? Go ahead and I'll do my best to test for you. Got any queastions? Go ahead and ask :)

Available from our sponsor here very soon http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Xtrend-ET5000-Single-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver

bassethound
04-05-11, 13:11
Thanks for the great review Sicilian and the price dont look to bad for a quality E2 box:D

pooface
04-05-11, 14:02
lmao at those photos Sic... Come on, look worse than many I've seen taken with a mobile phone :p

Very nice to see that the psu is external... Must prefer that personally. A shame that there's no e-sata port though. I think for adding a hdd, would be much better to have e-sata rather than a usb. All in all looks a nice box!

pixicom01
04-05-11, 15:27
i test the Boxsince 5 weeks with PLI and SiF Image. No Probs. Very good. Now we are all waiting or the VIX Image. I hope this Image will support PVR and WiFi.

wte
04-05-11, 15:59
The USB is fast enough for 7HD records at the same time. (tested)

So in my opinion e-sata is not needed. Most devices are USB anyway.

pooface
04-05-11, 16:32
The USB is fast enough for 7HD records at the same time. (tested)

So in my opinion e-sata is not needed. Most devices are USB anyway.

Not all to do with speed ... just gives user a free usb device that they can plug in, without it having to be used for hdd... But that's just how I prefer it :p

Sicilian
04-05-11, 16:34
Not all to do with speed ... just gives user a free usb device that they can plug in, without it having to be used for hdd... But that's just how I prefer it :p

Use one rear USB port connected to HDD, then connect a hub to the second ;)

Sicilian
05-05-11, 09:31
Another update, been using a 16GB Trancend USB memory stick for recording, working spot on, will try timeshifting to it next.

Stanman
06-05-11, 15:37
Formatted as ext? In which case cant add picons and epg?

pooface
06-05-11, 15:41

Y can you not add picons and epg? ext doesn't stop you adding them in...

Stanman
06-05-11, 15:49
Lol was typing on phone and should be "can you"

Sicilian
06-05-11, 17:15

Yes you can, that wont stop you.

silverfox0786
06-05-11, 17:24
the hdd is ext and in ftp that detects just fine so why should usb not

just u cant plug it in directly to pc must be done via ftp or in a linux machine

pooface
06-05-11, 18:00
Lol was typing on phone and should be "can you"

lol, cheers for clearing that up :)

punisher
06-05-11, 20:29
ext format doesnt get picked up on a windows pc does it? or am i doin suma wrong cuz my usb that was formatted on ext, when plugged into pc asked me to format it constantly as there was something wrong with it lol

Stanman
06-05-11, 20:31
No EXT file structure wont be see by a Windows PC, it will ask you to format it if you want to use it on windoze pc's

pooface
06-05-11, 20:32
ext format doesnt get picked up on a windows pc does it? or am i doin suma wrong cuz my usb that was formatted on ext, when plugged into pc asked me to format it constantly as there was something wrong with it lol

No, it's in the linux format ... so you either need to use a driver which will enable ext drives to be read on windows, or use a linux pc, or use a linux live cd... If I need to access a linux usb/hdd on my pc, I use slax live cd to boot the pc, and access it that way :)

punisher
06-05-11, 20:43
ill stick to fat32 for now lol the hdd is in ext and the usb only for picons and epg is fat32 and seems all good

souroull
07-05-11, 13:29
this is looking like the best value box around, what do you guys think?

any other boxes come to mind? vu uno is supposed to be 340EU rrp..

Enzo
07-05-11, 13:43
this is looking like the best value box around, what do you guys think?

any other boxes come to mind? vu uno is supposed to be 340EU rrp..
Hi

Clarke-Tech Et9000HD

pooface
07-05-11, 14:22
If you're only after single tuner, this is probably gonna be the cheapest. Another good option is the vu solo. Solo's been a great box for me. Working nice and stable with the ViX image, and is a wonderful little box. I believe this is a little smaller than the solo, so if size is any deciding factor, that may help. Only other cheaper boxes are the qbox mini and tm800. Altho neither will be as main stream as this and the solo...

If you want a twin tuner, then I would have to say either the et9000 or vu duo, but again, the qbox mini beats both hands down in the price department. But again, 9000/duo have much more support imo, and therefore are likely to be better boxes to get for novices (and experts alike :p)

Sicilian
09-05-11, 05:33
Tested on NOVA-T DVB-T stick on ET5000, working 100% :)

souroull
09-05-11, 13:38
thanks for the input guys

i have a DUO myself, this one is for my inlaw

its looking like the xtrends are probably the best value around.

i thought about to solo but the et5000 is more... future proof with the newer processor and all, right?

how is the tuner on it? i'm on fringe reception for 28.2E and its quite important that the box i get has a good sensitive tuner. every little bit helps around here :D

world-of-satellite.co.uk
09-05-11, 13:54
thanks for the input guys

i have a DUO myself, this one is for my inlaw

its looking like the xtrends are probably the best value around.

i thought about to solo but the et5000 is more... future proof with the newer processor and all, right?

how is the tuner on it? i'm on fringe reception for 28.2E and its quite important that the box i get has a good sensitive tuner. every little bit helps around here :D

The tuner is spot on, even blindscan compatible.

We should have these end of this week or early next week. Just waiting for confirmation from our supplier.

Sicilian
15-05-11, 21:36
Just tested playback of MP3's and 1080/720p MKV's with DTS audio, all played back spot on. Files where on NAS drive. Mounted drive and played pack files perfect :D

bassethound
15-05-11, 21:38
Sounds like its shaping up to be a great box like the et9000 :thumbsup:

thanks for testing out the box Sic :D

Sicilian
15-05-11, 21:39
Sounds like its shaping up to be a great box like the et9000 :thumbsup:

thanks for testing out the box Sic :D

Performance wise you do not see any difference to a ET9000 ;)

bassethound
15-05-11, 21:41
Might sell my qbox mini HD and get one of these bad boys its all looking very good

plus the added bonus of getting a Vix team image :D

Stanman
15-05-11, 21:44
This is a lovely box, very responsive and I was pleasantly surprised at how fast the channel zaps were.

@BH with a £9 win nova TV its an excellent "twin" tuner box. With the external PSU, heat is also significantly reduced within the box.

Would recommend it whole heartily, it compares well with my ET9000 and Duo.

Sicilian
15-05-11, 21:45
Might sell my qbox mini HD and get one of these bad boys its all looking very good

plus the added bonus of getting a Vix team image :D

If you bought one I can guarantee you would not be dissapointed :) This little baby is superb imo and priced right too. Sponsor will have a limited quantity this week here http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Xtrend-ET5000-Single-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver

As Stanman says, got DVB-T installed with mine too, so yep makes a fantastic twin tuner if you add DVB-T :D

Sicilian
15-05-11, 22:17
Just tested a couple of skins on ViX image, Magic_HD and HD Glass 16 both working well :)

punisher
15-05-11, 22:18
Just tested a couple of skins on ViX image, Magic_HD and HD Glass 16 both working well :)

Do you get a green screen wen pressing the epg button on glass hd skin?

Sicilian
15-05-11, 22:19

Nope, worked ok on 2.75 HD glass 16.

bassethound
15-05-11, 23:08

Hi punisher i can confirm that 2.75 HD glass 16 epg is now working great on my et9000 not tested on the Duo yet

looks like they have fixed it mate:thumbsup:

punisher
15-05-11, 23:10
Gna do this update after matc of the day lol

Larry-G
15-05-11, 23:16
Gna do this update after matc of the day lol

works great on the uno too, with the latest VIX beta image.

souroull
21-05-11, 09:43
where do i get the cccam for the sifteam image? anyone know?

pixicom01
21-05-11, 09:51
install the TSpanel
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8546-TSpanel-(Tunisiasat-Panel)-by-mFaraj57&p=63444#post63444

then you find all Sifcams in TSpanel-Addons

bassethound
21-05-11, 09:51
If you instal the latest version of TSpanel you can download cams from the plugin section for sifteam

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8349-TSpanel-%28Tunisiasat-Panel%29-by-mFaraj57

pixicom01
21-05-11, 09:56
:beer_toast:

souroull
21-05-11, 10:19
hm thats strange only up to ver 2.1.3

just restarted, lets see what happens :)

cmon vix get this image released !! :)))

souroull
21-05-11, 10:25
yay works just fine

tried to install an ipk i had for the duo but it didnt install :)

strange how every image has its own version since its enigma based.

gab2001uk
21-06-11, 14:02
I have one of these with latest Vix image. I use one of my Vu+ Duos as a HDD replacement via gigabit network which works perfectly, as does cccam. This machine is far better than the TM800HD which I was using in its place both for the network connectivity and the epg. Thoroughly recommended.

Tyler
15-08-11, 15:25
Hi guys,
Does this box or vu uno have an RF?

Sicilian
15-08-11, 15:28
Neither have RF output, but RF modulators are cheap enough on fleabay ;)

Tyler
15-08-11, 15:33
Sic, which box would u use as backup to vu dou?

Sicilian
15-08-11, 15:44
I was acutally using one for a while and was well impressed with it. I'd defo would not hesitate to buy one as a second receiver. You cant really go wrong with the ET5000 or VU + Solo, the ET5000 does have a higher spec'd cpu and is faster imo.

punisher
15-08-11, 19:12
et5000, a fantastic single tuner box, quicker than solo, not to say the solo is a slug or anything lol but as Sic said above its got higher spec. ver very nice box and asthetically pleasing :p

Italia
21-09-11, 08:27
ET50000 or VU UNO??
Which one should i buy?

silverfox0786
21-09-11, 13:27
depends what u want

both great boxes got em both

uno has VFD, internal HDD capabitlity, 2 cam slots

these the et5k dont, but then the et5k has a newer kernal

so its yr choice on what u want

OldSkulRide
22-09-11, 08:56
I just bought ET-5000 and sold dm500hd. I need USB that is why i sold 500HD. I would buy VU+ UNO, but for second room (cabinet), UNO is overkill and too expensive.