PDA

View Full Version : feedback, question and suggestion!

souroull
03-05-11, 18:20
hey there, just updated to the latest vix image and i have a few observations

1) As soon as i tuned in a Nova channel, the EPG updated for about 4 days forward, same with CYFRA, which i found very odd to do on its own. I did NOT setup crossepg or any other EPG for that matter. Very strange, but at the same time very nice aswell. It did not do the same for Sky UK and IT, and had to configure crossepg to do those 2 manually.
Nova EPG used to have Greek descriptions, but is now in english, which is very very nice. If it's indeed setup to do that, which provider is it set to? krkadani or rytec?

2) The image is a bit choppy and sometimes "mini-lags" compared to 1.3. doesnt annoy me one bit, but its there. Mind you, it's a fresh install on flash with no settings restored.

3) I have a small future request. When tuned in a channel, if you hit the red button, the program guide comes up. After you select a program, you have the option to IMDB query with the red button, which is excellent.

However, when browsing the channels, and hit the EPG button, the Program guide comes up again, but this time there is no option for the red button to do anything. So, in order to IMDB query, i have to tune in a channel, bring up the program guide and THEN imdb query, which is rather annoying :D

cheers and keep up the good work

irishchris
03-05-11, 22:55
If you have not set the epg for these in cross epg or ryvix then it may be the provider is broadcasting it ota similar to sky germany. This option (eit) can be switched off in settings if people wished.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

souroull
04-05-11, 17:28
its definitely not the provider broadcasting, nova and cyfra/polsat never have.

maybe xml epg is setup to update automatically? dont know...

stick50jr
05-05-11, 03:03
G'day all,

I would like to add a related request for consideration by the development team (ie Andy?):

Currently: with crossepg when additional epg data is added to a channel that already has data (eg. a programming change or an eit update) the additional data and the previous data often remain in the epg list. This looks messy and if the data overlaps (often does) one has to decide which data is the correct data before setting a timer... or else you end up with an incorrect timer.

Request for Patch v2.1:This problem is common to a number of images according to Sandro (author of crossepg) and he has developed an alternative patch v2.1 to allow the epg to be updated more seamlessly making better use of the enigma2 ability to resolve such epg issues. Some images don't have any patch to dynamically load epg. Vix 2.1.4 image behaves as though it may have one of the early patches rather than this v2.1. If the Vix images were to have this new patch successfully integrated, then it would be possible to use both imported epg and eit together (at the moment one is able to turn off eit to avoid the problem).

Work around: At the moment, I have some channels for which I need to use imported epg data and other channels that use eit data. My method is to download epg (using crossepg) then turn on eit and selectively tune to those channels that can get eit data (but not tune to any channels that have both imported epg and eit). I then turn eit off. Then I have epg data for all channels which is a mixture of imported and eit. This data is maintained until the next enigma2 restart... but I have to manually update the eit parts after every enigma2 restart (by turning eit on temporarily, tuning to the applicable transponders and then turning eit off) .

The use of v2.1 patch would allow me to leave eit on all the time and the epg would be tidied up by enigma2. I do like the fact that eit can be turned on/off... this is of great assistance in the meantime.

For your consideration. Thanks for a really great and stable image. Currently my setup is:

Vix 2.1.4
Vu+Duo with 2 x DVB-S2 pointed at Optus C1/D3 and Optus D1
2 x DVB-T (Hauppauge Nova TD stick)
Seagate 1TB drive internally.

silverfox0786
05-05-11, 03:39
G'day all,

I would like to add a related request for consideration by the development team (ie Andy?):

Currently: with crossepg when additional epg data is added to a channel that already has data (eg. a programming change or an eit update) the additional data and the previous data often remain in the epg list. This looks messy and if the data overlaps (often does) one has to decide which data is the correct data before setting a timer... or else you end up with an incorrect timer.

Request for Patch v2.1:This problem is common to a number of images according to Sandro (author of crossepg) and he has developed an alternative patch v2.1 to allow the epg to be updated more seamlessly making better use of the enigma2 ability to resolve such epg issues. Some images don't have any patch to dynamically load epg. Vix 2.1.4 image behaves as though it may have one of the early patches rather than this v2.1. If the Vix images were to have this new patch successfully integrated, then it would be possible to use both imported epg and eit together (at the moment one is able to turn off eit to avoid the problem).

Work around: At the moment, I have some channels for which I need to use imported epg data and other channels that use eit data. My method is to download epg (using crossepg) then turn on eit and selectively tune to those channels that can get eit data (but not tune to any channels that have both imported epg and eit). I then turn eit off. Then I have epg data for all channels which is a mixture of imported and eit. This data is maintained until the next enigma2 restart... but I have to manually update the eit parts after every enigma2 restart (by turning eit on temporarily, tuning to the applicable transponders and then turning eit off) .

The use of v2.1 patch would allow me to leave eit on all the time and the epg would be tidied up by enigma2. I do like the fact that eit can be turned on/off... this is of great assistance in the meantime.

For your consideration. Thanks for a really great and stable image. Currently my setup is:

Vix 2.1.4

unfortunatly cross epg is a plugin addition to vix and other images

any issues must be directed to the maker and then we can incorporate the fixes into vix

stick50jr
05-05-11, 15:20

any issues must be directed to the maker and then we can incorporate the fixes into vix

I have edited the title to redress the confusion: It is an Enigma2 patch... (for crossepg and any other program that 'hot' loads the epg). The reply quoted above is understandable if one thought I was talking about a crossepg patch... but it is actually an enigma2 patch that I' referring to.

As I have tried to explain, the problem is not a crossepg issue. The solution is associated with how an image is patched to allow dynamic loading of epg data. The patch is applied to the image independently of crossepg or any other means of loading the epg. The maker of the crossepg plugin has pointed out how an image can be patched in a more effective manner. The maker of the crossepg plugin has explained that there is no way for this problem to be addressed within the plugin. The Vix image has already been patched, but possibly not in the optimal way. The request is that the Vix image patch be re-visited as per the suggestion.

Maybe this needs to be considered by OpenPLi rather than Vix... as it may go deeper into enigma2 than the Vix team wishes to venture.

regards

stick50jr
05-05-11, 15:36

Replying further to the above quote, I have taken the liberty of quoting the maker of the crossepg plugin to explain that it is an enigma2 issue:

Hi,
first of all we have to say one thing. DMM Enigma2 doesn't allow to load external data into his epg.
The only workaround is overwrite his cache during a gui reboot:
- enigma2 shutdown start
- enigma2 save epg cache to an epg.dat file
- enigma2 shutdown complete
- we replace epg.dat with our epg.dat
- enigma2 start
- enigma2 reload his epg cache from epg.dat

In this case all plugins have the same problem. They loose all 'live data' (replaced by custom data)

To avoid that many images add some fixes to load epg inside epg cache without a reboot.
There are various types of patch and they can be implemented in many different ways.

Croossepg autodetect the type of patch (if present) and use it.
With "enigma2 crossepg patch 2.1" (in download area) the data are added in epg cache exactly like enigma2 do with "live data". So the concept is simple: any new data replace the old data. Probably during an "epg load" with crossepg you overwrite some of your live data.. but when you zap back to the channel "live data" overwrite again custom data. During a reboot enigma2 keep his original life cycle so it save and reload epg.dat without loose any custom or live data.

But always remeber this: many images could have many customizations for epg... and crossepg and other plugins could work different from image to image

Sandro

Obviously if Vix or OpenPLi used this updated patch, then the epg would work better. The response is taken from here (http://code.google.com/p/crossepg/issues/detail?id=86#c3)

regards

andyblac
06-05-11, 00:33

Vix 2.1.4

ViX uses the 2.1 crossepg patch, has done since Oct when it was release

[CrossEPG_Loader] patch crossepg v2.1 found
[CrossEPG_Loader] patch epgcache.load() found
[CrossEPG_Loader] patch Oudeis found
[CrossEPG_Loader] loading data with crossepg patch v2
[EPGC] start crossepg import
[EPGC] 0 aliases groups in crossepg db
[EPGC] start caching events(1304638971)
[EPGC] abort non avail schedule reading
[EPGC] abort non avail schedule other reading
[EPGC] abort non avail netmed schedule reading
[EPGC] abort non avail netmed schedule other reading
[EPGC] abort non avail viasat reading
[EPGC] nownext finished(1304638978)
[EPGC] imported 119683 events from crossepg db
[EPGC] 6417451 bytes for cache used

stick50jr
06-05-11, 01:52
@Andyblac,

Thank you for your very conclusive reply. Given that the patch is already in place, I guess enigma2 isn't quite as good at handling redundant and superceded epg data as I had hoped. It is good to know that the patch is in place already...

As stated above, my system is working very well on Vix 2.1.4 and using four tuners. I can work around the epg issues and avoid too much epg clashes. Thanks again for the best Vu image around.

Cheers

souroull
07-05-11, 13:05
so guys, is the EPG automatic or what? it is for me for NOVA and CYFRA,

Crossepg is not setup to download anything but it's updating regularly on its own...

if so, which epg provider is it using?

Stanman
07-05-11, 13:28
If you press blue button and vix and than CEPG, it should say in the providers or XML section, the one with a green tick is the one its downloading.

souroull
09-05-11, 09:37
yes i know that... only skyIT (XEPGDB) is configured to download, nothing else under XMLTV nor XEPGDB, but somehow nova and cyfra download automatically without being configured...

on a side note, i mounted a usb pen as hdd and set crossepg to save on it, but it refuses to do so :(