PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Timeshift on VIX

MrKappa
01-05-11, 21:18
I set the permanent timeshift on VIX 2.1 which should allow a desider number of recording and for a certain buffer (180 min or any else).
But currently when I change the channel the recording start again and I cannot get the recording of previous channel which will start again from zero.
I understood that it should be possible to handle several recording in the same time and change the channel not restarting the buffer. Is this correct? How it should work?
Thanks

punisher
01-05-11, 21:39
As far as i know if you change channel then it loses the buffer and starts again on the new channel you put it on. Someone correct me if im wrong

MrKappa
01-05-11, 21:46
Yes. So my understanding is correct. But why we have the option to set 2 or 4 recording?
I suppose that it could be something not yet implemented on VIX image but possibly it allows more channel timeshift on other images.
Then, do you know if it will be implemented in the future?

punisher
01-05-11, 22:14
The 2 or 4 events is the amount of different programmes on that particular channel it will store or x amount of minutes. Imnot sure if it possible to keep more than1 channel in buffer at a time as im sure its got something to do with available tumers but im not too sure. Ill find out or if someone else could she some light on this would be good too

silverfox0786
02-05-11, 17:23
Yes. So my understanding is correct. But why we have the option to set 2 or 4 recording?
I suppose that it could be something not yet implemented on VIX image but possibly it allows more channel timeshift on other images.
Then, do you know if it will be implemented in the future?

time shift is pause play rewind function of a current viewed program so in that respect multiple timeshift dont make sence as you dont watch 2 progs at once

MrKappa
03-05-11, 19:05
time shift is pause play rewind function of a current viewed program so in that respect multiple timeshift dont make sence as you dont watch 2 progs at once

Permanent timeshift in this case means that you have the options to record two events in the same time by default. Let's say that you likes to watch two football games for i.e. and them you can change between the two events and, if you miss something important on the other channel you can go back if PTS is enabled for 2 programs.
I think this is the reason why you can set 2 or more channels in the PTS options.
In another forum I understood that, in another image, this option is working as I describe, so in theory should be possible to implement on VIX too.

punisher
03-05-11, 20:36
i always thought the events could only be recorded on the same channel that is being watched ... say you left it on that channel and went out for a few hours and in those few hours there were 4 events on ... you could rewind back to the 4th event and still be able to catch it aslong as you left it on that channel ....

pooface
03-05-11, 20:40
Permanent timeshift in this case means that you have the options to record two events in the same time by default. Let's say that you likes to watch two football games for i.e. and them you can change between the two events and, if you miss something important on the other channel you can go back if PTS is enabled for 2 programs.
I think this is the reason why you can set 2 or more channels in the PTS options.
In another forum I understood that, in another image, this option is working as I describe, so in theory should be possible to implement on VIX too.

Can you explain what image it is working like that in then please? As permanent timeshift is just what it says ... timeshift that is permanently working. Timeshift, as far as I and many others I'm sure see it, is the ability to shift a current channel to a different time, to make it more convienient to watch... afaik, all dvrs that offer timeshift do not offer it for different channels. You can have pip for what you want, or just change between channels live, but, if timeshifting, you can only use 1 channel.

As default, timeshift is only enable when you press the pause button on the remote. Permanent timeshift changes this by allow the channel to be recorded at all times, so you can press rewind whenver you want, without having to think in advance that you would like the oppurtunity to rewind...

So, as said, please let us know which image pts does this in...

MrKappa
03-05-11, 21:12
Can you explain what image it is working like that in then please? As permanent timeshift is just what it says ... timeshift that is permanently working. Timeshift, as far as I and many others I'm sure see it, is the ability to shift a current channel to a different time, to make it more convienient to watch... afaik, all dvrs that offer timeshift do not offer it for different channels. You can have pip for what you want, or just change between channels live, but, if timeshifting, you can only use 1 channel.

As default, timeshift is only enable when you press the pause button on the remote. Permanent timeshift changes this by allow the channel to be recorded at all times, so you can press rewind whenver you want, without having to think in advance that you would like the oppurtunity to rewind...

So, as said, please let us know which image pts does this in...

I have the information from another user on SIF forum reporting that (free translastion!) "using HDFreak image you can set the buffer size (minutes to record), if you like to save the recording at channel change and how many channels (not "events") in timeshift you likes to keep before delete last one. By default is set for 5 channels and when you enable it and go back or forward on that channel's timeshift you get the option to select which timeshift you like to see from one to five.
If you choose 5 you will see last channel that you are watching or you can choice back to previous channels/timeshift you was watching".
As soon as possible I will test this image and I will report the differences with VIX which is currently my favorite!

judge
03-05-11, 21:33
surely, you would need to use different tuners if channels on different transponders though? same as recording.
would be a great feature though.

MrKappa
03-05-11, 21:39
surely, you would need to use different tuners if channels on different transponders though? same as recording.
would be a great feature though.

Yes, you need to use the capacity of two tuners using dual lnb for example.

judge
03-05-11, 21:45
do you have a link for the image? I'd be happy to test this out too.

punisher
03-05-11, 22:06
wouldnt work for the vu solo then lol

pooface
03-05-11, 22:07
I have the information from another user on SIF forum reporting that (free translastion!) "using HDFreak image you can set the buffer size (minutes to record), if you like to save the recording at channel change and how many channels (not "events") in timeshift you likes to keep before delete last one. By default is set for 5 channels and when you enable it and go back or forward on that channel's timeshift you get the option to select which timeshift you like to see from one to five.
If you choose 5 you will see last channel that you are watching or you can choice back to previous channels/timeshift you was watching".
As soon as possible I will test this image and I will report the differences with VIX which is currently my favorite!

As you said ... reported by another user. Therefore, there is nothing that you have tried yourself. I would say to take this with a pinch of salt until you have actually tried it. Once you have tried it, please get back to us. But, I would say that this is a user who has mis-understood the options...

MrKappa
03-05-11, 23:18
Please, google for "ET9000 HDF-Team Image based on OpenPLi2.0 of 23/01/2011".

Enzo
03-05-11, 23:36
Please, google for "ET9000 HDF-Team Image based on OpenPLi2.0 of 23/01/2011".

Hi,

you mean this here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?5868-HDF-Teamimage-Clark-tech-ET9000-v2-23.01.2011)

charliesen
04-05-11, 00:56
I really cant see the point of having a pts that works on different channels.
Surely the idea of it is for use when someone knocks on the door or you want to get a drink etc ?
If you want the other channels why not just record them ?
Pts has not been designed as a multi channel recording system.

judge
04-05-11, 01:07
I really cant see the point of having a pts that works on different channels.
Surely the idea of it is for use when someone knocks on the door or you want to get a drink etc ?
If you want the other channels why not just record them ?
Pts has not been designed as a multi channel recording system.

would be handy when flicking between 2 channels, other than that, I'd agree... function for recording, nice idea all the same.

charliesen
04-05-11, 01:19
Hadn't thought of that and i guess it would be nice but again why not just record the channel your on when you start hopping.
I suppose its a nice feature to have but doesn't seem like a big issue to me ,I just press the red button lol

judge
04-05-11, 01:55
Hadn't thought of that and i guess it would be nice but again why not just record the channel your on when you start hopping.
I suppose its a nice feature to have but doesn't seem like a big issue to me ,I just press the red button lol

same here, red button works amazing on VIX image, love it.
Imagine if we had preferences in recording though?
Pre-set recordings take preference, other than that, last 2 channels viewed on different transponders could be timeshifted/recorded after the event, more like permanent record that permanent time shift though.
would make a fantastic image though...

MrKappa
04-05-11, 20:12
Hi,

you mean this here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?5868-HDF-Teamimage-Clark-tech-ET9000-v2-23.01.2011)

Yes. It is.
It will be nice if somebody will have chance to test PTS function on this image.
I will test it but not before the weekend.

kunmun23
04-10-11, 23:26
Hi m8s,

Just trying PTS on ViX2.2. I have enabled it, set it 2 events and 60mins of recording...cannot seem to change the delay to 1min (the default is 005), but the time shift doesn't seem to work i.e. I cannot press the rewind button to timeshift.

Questions :
1)Do I need to press some other button to rewind instead of the (intuitive) rewind button ?
2) I am presuming the unit of measurement of all the values in timeshift settings is minutes. So delay 005 means 5 mins...how do I change this to 0 or 1 ??
3) Did anybody figure what the maxevents refers to ? Is it number of events on the same channels or number of simultaneous channels ?

Rob van der Does
05-10-11, 13:49
Delay time is in seconds.
And why only 2 events? Using 5 here.
And why only 60 mins? That will be too short for virtually all programs. Set to 600 here.

Never restrict yourself. Others will do that for you :cool:

kunmun23
05-10-11, 16:00
Thanks for the clarification.
So the delay time 5 seconds makes sense.

What does 5 events mean ?? Is it 5 consecutive events on the same channel ? Or 5 different channels at the same time ? If its the latter which 5 ??

MOST IMPORTANT : Don't mind setting it to 600mins (have a 2TB drive installed) provided I can rewind ?? The rewind button doesn't seem to do anything...how do I rewind ??

Rob van der Does
05-10-11, 16:09
You have PTS enabled? If so there is a small time bar: the pointer on that can be moved with the left/right arrows of your remote.

But FastForward/Backward should also work.

kunmun23
05-10-11, 16:19
Have PTS enabled but don't see any bar. :(

Rob van der Does
05-10-11, 16:38
Have PTS enabled but don't see any bar. :(
Push "pause".

kunmun23
05-10-11, 16:58
Thanks m8!! Pause works. And now I see the bar too....can operate it with Left/Right arrows too...works great...one niggle...after pressing the left button I see the marker move left on the bar. Now, when I click "OK" to start playing from the new position, the info bar pops up and I have to click exit to get rid of it. Is there a way to turn it off?

Also, what does the event mean : 5 consecutive events on the same channel or 5 channels ? Which ones ??

kunmun23
05-10-11, 17:03
Also, do I need to press "Pause" followed by "Play" to enable permanent time shift after zapping to a channel ? That doesn't sound good...

Rob van der Does
05-10-11, 18:33
Also, do I need to press "Pause" followed by "Play" to enable permanent time shift after zapping to a channel ?
No, you can push FastBackwards during Live-TV

kunmun23
05-10-11, 23:29
No, you can push FastBackwards during Live-TV

For some reason that doesn't work. After zapping a channel, I have to pause and unpause at least once to kick start the timeshift...it doesn't automatically.

Overall the permanent timeshift seems a bit clunky....any plugins to get a better version..?? Getting fixed in ViX2.3??

Rob van der Does
06-10-11, 05:45
It is supposed to work in 2.2: it did for me and others.

kunmun23
06-10-11, 10:11
Good to know it works fine in 2.2 ..I'm guessing the issue is with my set-up then...have tried a reflash but don't see any difference.
Could there be some other plugin conflicting with it ?

Can somebody help? I can share the backup of my current image/settings (or just the settings).

Cheers.

Rob van der Does
06-10-11, 10:18
If the only problem is that you have to pause first, to be able to wind back (to the moment you zapped to the channel) I would say: no big deal, leave it as it is, and see what 2.3 will bring for you.

kunmun23
06-10-11, 10:29
If the only problem is that you have to pause first, to be able to wind back (to the moment you zapped to the channel) I would say: no big deal, leave it as it is, and see what 2.3 will bring for you.

No, its not that. After I zap into a channel, I have to pause/play to activate permanent timeshift. If I don't do that I cannot rewind at all. That's a pain..I can't pause/play every time a switch a channel to ensure that it starts buffering the stream. :(

Rob van der Does
06-10-11, 10:31
Aha, that means that PTS doesn't work at all!
Probably a stupid question, but: did you activate PTS?

kunmun23
06-10-11, 10:33
Yes. I have it enabled. PTS works after a "kick-start" i.e. pause the channel once and immediately play it...then it starts buffering nicely...want to get rid of this behavior

Rob van der Does
06-10-11, 10:54
You did not manually install CCCamInfo?
What other plugins are installed (other then the ones that are installed by default)?

kunmun23
06-10-11, 11:08
You did not manually install CCCamInfo?
What other plugins are installed (other then the ones that are installed by default)?

No did not manually install CCcamInfo.

Regarding plugins, I have a few..can't recall all from the top of my head. Would check in the evening and post a complete list.

Incidentally, are the backed up settings transferrable from one box to another? I can use the 2.2 settings from somebody else's work on which PTS is working and then tweak the settings iteratively to my requirements (checking PTS functionality after each iteration).

Rob van der Does
06-10-11, 11:19
Incidentally, are the backed up settings transferrable from one box to another? I can use the 2.2 settings from somebody else's work on which PTS is working and then tweak the settings iteratively to my requirements (checking PTS functionality after each iteration).
Yes, you can do that.
An other option is to do a clean install (i.e. not restoring your settings), check if PTS works (it should!), if so one-by-one making settings and install plugins, checking PTS after every change.

Reidy
25-10-11, 15:18
My PTS doesnt seem to work either, at work atm, but will try the pause thing when I get home as a workround until 2.3 :)