PDA

View Full Version : How Friggin expensive is car insurance...

punisher
28-04-11, 17:07
jeeeeeezus what the hell is going on with car insurance ... two years ago my insurance on a 1.6 focus zetec alone was about £500 ... then last year i added my missus and got 3 points and it went upto £650 ... fair enough ... no damn change this year with anything and my insurance im gettin cheapest quote for is £910 ... WTF :| im seriously contemplating getting a damn bike, takes the mick dumb clowns ... least give my previous years money back if i dont make a claim

Stanman
28-04-11, 17:14
becuase of people like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-13207529 and the executives need those big fat salaries.

Larry-G
28-04-11, 17:18
jeeeeeezus what the hell is going on with car insurance ... two years ago my insurance on a 1.6 focus zetec alone was about £500 ... then last year i added my missus and got 3 points and it went upto £650 ... fair enough ... no damn change this year with anything and my insurance im gettin cheapest quote for is £910 ... WTF :| im seriously contemplating getting a damn bike, takes the mick dumb clowns ... least give my previous years money back if i dont make a claim

lol the last bike i had was a Kawasaki z1000 i ended up under the front wheels of a transit van with both collar bones snapped, 6 broken ribs back and front. bust both my knees again and my left wrist.

Stanman
28-04-11, 17:20
lol the last bike i had was a Kawasaki z1000 i ended up under the front wheels of a transit van with both collar bones snapped, 6 broken ribs back and front. bust both my knees again and my left wrist.

Should change your name to Steve Austin, not many bones left to break after that. You still riding?

Larry-G
28-04-11, 17:22
Should change your name to Steve Austin, not many bones left to break after that. You still riding?

iv'e got a old pan head Harley to rebuild in the garage but dont get much time to ride any more.

punisher
28-04-11, 17:24

I was thinkin more a long the lines of bycicle lmao seriously though its takin the pee ... everythin has gone up insurance why

Larry-G
28-04-11, 17:26
yeah i'm dreading mine. 10 years no claims and i could not get a quote under £550 for a 1.7 turbo diesel astra on a 07 plate last year. supposedly down to too many dodgy insurance scams by eastern European gangs, that and the boy racers.

punisher
28-04-11, 17:29
i got 8 years no claims and i cant get any cheaper than £950. i coulda put it down to my age but im over 25 so cant see that being a factor... i take the 3 points off a quote and it only cheapens it by £100 so it cnt be that ... its jus friggin ridiculous

Blu-ray
28-04-11, 17:44
73% discount 1.6 picasso petrol £240 from AVIVA every one else in the £350s.

punisher
28-04-11, 17:54
jeeez aviva double the price of the cheapest quote i got from admiral lmao

pooface
28-04-11, 18:06
Last year, I was with admiral, and got the insurance quote back through ... about £120 more than last time... Then, checked online, and found a quote from elephant.co.uk which was only about £20 more expensive than last years premium. Phoned admiral, and they could match it, as they're part of the same group ... Just a little hint if you're with admiral and wanna stay with them rather than sort out no claims etc...

punisher
28-04-11, 18:17
yeh im looking everywhere but it has gone up by £300 since last years ... its shockin nowhere seems cheap atm

Blu-ray
28-04-11, 18:29
Have you had a quote from the AA they where the next cheapest for my insurance.

Richy-G
28-04-11, 18:31
U guys tried tesco?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

punisher
28-04-11, 18:31
yeh done em all ... so far admiral the cheapest at £930 ... ******** ... i got till end of may so will wait and see what i can find but someone needs to do suma to these insurance companies

pooface
28-04-11, 18:32
Well, just checked direct line for my insurance, and coming out the same as last year iirc. £440 for a mondeo zetec 2.0 56 reg... So, must be you or your area that's made it go up :p

Stanman
28-04-11, 18:35
I have trader insurance with max car value of 15000 and its only costing me 1100. Have you gone to a broker rather than just the price compatison sites?

Blu-ray
28-04-11, 18:36
Adrianflux if you have points/convictions drink drivers or just a bad driver.

punisher
28-04-11, 18:51
i was tempted by traders but dunno how it works or who to go to

lammy1961
28-04-11, 20:23
I used these and saved a packet.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/

garrycraig
28-04-11, 20:38
Hi Punisher

My name is ********************. Give me a call and I will try to get you the best deal !!
Have loads of schemes and 12 weeks free on certain policies.

Regards Garry

punisher
28-04-11, 20:46
What kind of policies do you provide? Cheers mate

Stanman
28-04-11, 22:45
Trader basically allows you to drive any car even if is not insurance but value of the car has to be below your cover level. I only got it as my nephew does car dealing and its cheaper for him being named and me taking the cover our. We can drive any cover worth up to £15,000. I got it through brokers called tolgate or newgate - will dig out the details in the morning. Its worth it if you have more than one car, but admiral multi car is worth having a look as well.

basilyoung
28-04-11, 23:01
I was with liverpool victoria, ( based in poole???) they hiked my ins from just over £300 to £590, no changes like points etc, so I wnt to Aviva, @ £420 ( alfa romao )

in the end its mainly down to compo claims/spongers, and unisured drivers, but @ the rate living cost is going, ( petrol/ins/c-tax etc) I think there will be more compo claims/uninsured drivers/scams, leading to still more cost

the joke is, most ins comps, are just as bad with paying out, any excuss,...and its sorry, you do not have a valid claim

Doreblade
29-04-11, 00:54
Don't get me started - several mates of mine were shunted in London a couple of months ago, not their fault at all but all claiming whiplash injuries even though there's nowt wrong with any of them. They think they're owed compo because that's how the system works. I keep telling them it's crappy claims like theirs that is costing me money and that's why premiums are up but they just don't see it - they're in for a fast £500 so don't care. They just don't get it that their own premiums will rise too - stupid dolts (I'd use stronger language but I'm nice and polite).

On another note, I use NFU Mutual for my car insurance. Pal of mine suggested them for my subaru 4x4. Not on the usual 'compare' sites but gave a good quote - not the cheapest but one of the best customer service I've met - trust me - I work for HSBC and have many years of dealing with bank complaints. NFU Mutual have been nicer people to deal with.

basilyoung
29-04-11, 01:23
what the uk needs.....is a bit of to right too, the claim for this that and the other culture needs to be dumped big time, but sadly, it cuts both ways, the ins comps are just as bad, its the straight up and down peeps that pick up the cost

Stanman
29-04-11, 15:29
You got to blame the frigging politicians who allowed NO WON NO FEE to get hold in the Uk. If we did not have it you wouldn't get half the claims being made.

pooface
12-07-11, 20:50
Just to bring up this old thread...

Got my policy renewal in the post that morning. Wanted almost £490 for it. Had a quick look on comparison sites, and got cheapest quote of £415. Then, went to elephant (cheapest quoted) and picked up quote, changed info to match it with correct info (as some was not correct), and finally got it for around £335 on their site. Phoned up my current insurer, who said that they can match elephant as it's a sister site, they bought up my details, and matched it for me. Got it for £335!

Nice one elephant :D