PDA

View Full Version : Jumper config for Western Digital advanced format drives in Vu Duo

gareth41
03-06-10, 11:59
Just so people know, if you buy a western digital advanced format drive, jumpers 7 - 8 may need to be capped to initialize the drive, else it may not work.

I bought a new 1TB WD advanced format drive, model WD10EARS, capped jumpers 5 - 6 to limit 1.5gbps and installed drive.

Had problems trying to initialize it using VTI 1.0 image, box would eventualy freeze after 5min then E2reboots, no green screen or crash log. Tried multiple times to initialize, each failed. Ended up capping jumpers 7 - 8 as well on the drive then trying again to initialize again, it worked on first attempt, took approx 5min.

Capping jumpers 7 - 8 changes the sector layout so drive can be used with windows xp and not lag the system, but also seems to allow E2 to initialize the drive.

As for capping jumpers 5 - 6, I have set up other linux receivers and some require hard drives capped at 1.5gbps, dont know if vu duo requires this but mine seems to be working fine with it capped.

More info on advanced format:

http://hothardware.com/Articles/WDs-1TB-Caviar-Green-w-Advanced-Format-Windows-XP-Users-Pay-Attention/