PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Duo as a network NFS share

caravanboy
23-04-11, 09:33
Morning all

I would like to set up my VU+ Duo so that it can be seen on my home network as a NFS share. I have other network TV's in the house that I want to be able to browse to my Duo and be able to play the movies etc. straight from it. I can see my Duo from my PC and play files directly but not from other devices like my sons networked TV?

Do you know what i'm doing wrong, can this be set up?

Also, is it possible to stream straight to a networked TV? Would it be possible for example for me to watch Sly sports in the living room and my son to also watch it streamed to his network TV at the same time via the web interface.

Many thanks

caravanboy

xarqi
23-04-11, 11:28
Much depends on the capabilities of the TV. It is probably a DLNA client, and out-of-the-box, as far as I know, the Vu+ Duo is not a DLNA server. There may be a plug-in for this, but I don't recall having heard of one. I've not heard of a TV with a built-in web browser either, although some do allow limited internet access to things like youtube and flickr. What is the model of the TV in question?

I think that your best bet is to store your video files on a computer or network drive that IS a DLNA server. The TV can see the files (probably, but no guarantees and I personally think DLNA is awful), and your Vu+ will be able to see them on a network share via SMB.

(Disclaimer: I've just had a bottle of cheap Pinot gris, so this could all be nonsense. ;))

caravanboy
23-04-11, 17:16
Thanks for your advice, might just try as you say but I will have to convert the files to avi or such like so the TV can play them.

Caravanboy

xarqi
23-04-11, 22:19
That will depend on the TV. To be honest, I just can't remember if in my case, with Twonky on my iMac as DLNA server, my Panasonic 50V20 was able to see and play .TS files on the server or not.

Another option may be to use something like a networked WD Live box attached to the TV. It should be able to see the .TS files on the Vu+ and stream them to the TV OK. Mind you, I didn't like the WD products much more than I like DLNA, but you may find them OK.

bacardi
30-04-11, 22:29
blackhole image is dlna enabled. I kept getting errors from my tv (would not play the files). I ended sending it back (not because of that though). I have not tried with my new tv, although it does have a full web browser