PDA

View Full Version : USB Stick not recognised

pooface
02-06-10, 21:32
Hi guys.

Just wondering whether it's just this usb stick I have is dodgy, or that it's just the dream-elite image not recognising the stick...

Anyway, have a 1gb stick which I've used previously in old dreambox 800, and I put it in my macbook to check that I hadn't reformatted it and stored stuff on to it... Anyway, came up as a not recognised disk, do I want to format it. So, I assume that I'e just not used it in any pc, and it's still formatted as ext3 or whatever for the dreambox...

So, anyway, I format it to fat32, thinking that I will have it ready to be formatted in the vu+. I can read it fine on the macbook. Come to putting it in the vu+, and it cannot see it in the device manager...

Rebooted, and still does not recognise it...

What do I need to do to get it to recognise it?!

Many thanks :)

pooface
02-06-10, 21:47
OK, after playing about for quite a while (and posting here as a kind of last resort), I think I have sorted it...

I telnetted in to the box, issued the commands:

fdisk /dev/discs/disc0/disc
d <- to delete the partition, auto selects the partition, as there was only 1
w <- to write the changes
q <- to quit

mke2fs /dev/discs/disc0/disc
y <- to choose yes to continue, as formatting whole disk

mount /dev/discs/disc0/disc /media/usb
reboot

This, then rebooted the box. I then went in to the devices manager (blue panel), and formatted the stick from there (yes, again, just in case I'd messed summat up :p)
Then, once it rebooted after the format, I went in to the device manager again to map it as /media/usb/, which required another reboot.

Then, it appears to have mounted it and kept it there fine :)

Hope this helps people if they have a similar problem...

pooface
02-06-10, 22:53
Just starting to wonder whether whether this usb stick is duff, or whether the usb on this box in general is duff, or what?!

I created a 128mb swap file on the usb drive, and it took over 45 minutes to create it! Surely that's not right?! Then, tried to download the satmate epg data file to the usb stick, and both times it crashed, changed it to /hdd/, and it downloaded fine (don't actually have a hdd installed at the mo).

What could be the cause for this?! Will get another usb stick tomorrow to try, but don't think that it's this that is causing the problem, as the stick used to work fine before (and formatted quite quickly on mac & vu+)...

Hopefully some more experienced vu+ duo owners can help with this :)

Many thanks...

Sicilian
03-06-10, 05:20
In EPG panel, did you set the EPG tp be stored in /media/usb in global settings?

pooface
03-06-10, 05:57
Yeah, when I set it to /media/usb in the global settings, it crashed. When I changed it to /media/hdd (or just /hdd, can't remember, but both are the same), it downloaded it just fine. However, the problem with this, is that I don't have a hdd connected, so am pretty sure that the /hdd directory is just like the /tmp dir and is cleared upon a restart?! So it doesn't actually keep the epg. Plus, I wanna know why the usb is so slow?!

pooface
03-06-10, 06:03
Even just copying a 45mb file just now over to the usb folder from the /tmp folder took over 5 mins. Just took about 10 seconds to ftp it over to /tmp...

Sicilian
03-06-10, 07:03
Tbh I've had the same issues when trying to use the USB for EPG data, so just use the HDD. Its only stored on the HDD to re-boot, to save re-downloading when u re-boot. Not had any issues transferring files though, but then again I've only FTP'ed to it.

pooface
03-06-10, 08:17
When you've ftp'd to the /media/usb, what speeds have you gotten? I've ftp'd to the /media/usb drive, and it only uploads at around 150kb/s. When I ftp'd to the /tmp directory, I get around 7-8 MB/s... So the usb is definately slower...

Just wondering whether it's just the dream-elite image, or the vu+ itself, or whether it's just my vu+?!

Could really do with knowing others experiences so I can figure out what the problem is...

bob1
03-06-10, 08:58
I'm getting 1.6mb/s on my usb stick ,putting a 700mb file on it now, looks like its going to be around 6-8 mins.

chadac
03-06-10, 09:41
Hi
I have test 3 USB sticks and i suppose it must be USB 2.0 all of 1.0 i use don"t work with.
Normaly if you have Fat 32 format and type vuplus USB name and install the 3 files in duo name
no problem automatic installation
Bye rgds Chadac

pooface
03-06-10, 12:01
I'm getting 1.6mb/s on my usb stick ,putting a 700mb file on it now, looks like its going to be around 6-8 mins.

Is that through ftp to the box? Not the usb stick connected directly on the pc where you have the 700mb file and transferring straight to the usb stick there?

Hi
I have test 3 USB sticks and i suppose it must be USB 2.0 all of 1.0 i use don"t work with.
Normaly if you have Fat 32 format and type vuplus USB name and install the 3 files in duo name
no problem automatic installation
Bye rgds Chadac

I'm not talking about installing images through usb. I'm talking about using a usb stick in the actual box to perform functions etc... Like earlier, I downloaded the 28e picons to the usb stick, and it took about 5 minutes for it to extract all of the files to the usb stick. With the dm800, it takes no more than about 30 seconds normally (if that). So, I just wanna know whether people have the same problems using a usb stick in their vuplus? I can't understand why it's working this badly!!!

bob1
03-06-10, 17:35
Is that through ftp to the box? Not the usb stick connected directly on the pc where you have the 700mb file and transferring straight to the usb stick there?

Yes thats ftp from the pc to the duo ,the file played fine as well from the usb stick using media player on the duo.
I'm using filezilla and Ubuntu if that makes any difference.

pooface
04-06-10, 17:42
Cheers for that.

Now, this is really strange! I've reflashed the box numerous times, and it still kept having slow transfer speeds. Today, I installed the vti image, and then tried ftping, and it worked quick. Then, went back to de, and it seems to be working quick now *touch wood*. Dunno why it's suddenly started working. Although, when I flashed it this time, I even had the usb in the rear of the box while flashing from the front usb. Before, it always just skipped the flashing because it just read the rear usb first and then quit?! Also, I even managed to download the epg data on to the usb stick without it crashing...

Anyway, hope this is the end of the problems. Will monitor over the next few days!

bob1
04-06-10, 18:33
The epg sometimes crashes ,i had it 3 times yesterday trying a manual download ,tried it later on and it worked first time.

pooface
04-06-10, 20:13
The epg sometimes crashes ,i had it 3 times yesterday trying a manual download ,tried it later on and it worked first time.

Found it crashed because it wasn't writing fast enough...

Not tried doing the automatic download yet, but I know with the dm800 I used to have it crash now and again... But will see later :D