PDA

View Full Version : MediaCenter on VU+ Duo - Possible ?

Tw4T
17-04-11, 15:05
Hi Guys, as i`m sat messing around with my Linux install on my laptop I’ve just had a thought; is it possible, or do you think it will ever be possible to intergrate a MediaCenter into the ViX image? The reason I ask is out of curiosity mostly, but I think it would be a GREAT addition to the Duo. This is the kind of software Im thinking of http://www.mythtv.org/ - http://www.linuxmce.com/. I’m not to sure what the specs for the Duo are, or even if they would be able to run a MediaCenter, but if it could, it would beat the "Media Menu" we currently have hands down. What do you think? Is it workable or not?

pooface
17-04-11, 21:30
Hi Guys, as i`m sat messing around with my Linux install on my laptop I’ve just had a thought; is it possible, or do you think it will ever be possible to intergrate a MediaCenter into the ViX image? The reason I ask is out of curiosity mostly, but I think it would be a GREAT addition to the Duo. This is the kind of software Im thinking of http://www.mythtv.org/ - http://www.linuxmce.com/. I’m not to sure what the specs for the Duo are, or even if they would be able to run a MediaCenter, but if it could, it would beat the "Media Menu" we currently have hands down. What do you think? Is it workable or not?

project valerie (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?6449-plugin-Project-Valerie) is your e2 version of what you're after if I understand things correctly...

sonc
17-04-11, 23:54
I've got Project Valerie (r259) installed on Black Hole, and it works really well. It puts my all my Movies (recordings on the HDD, and other avi's etc. on my NAS) in one easily accessible place on the main menu. Great for the kids as they can easily find and play movies.

It syncs your Movies with imdb.org, so they all have a poster, backdrop, and overview alongside each movie.

Tw4T
18-04-11, 08:53
Thanks guys, ill check it out :)

Comfysofa
21-04-11, 10:38
Personally i like Project valerie but found that it gets the covers wrong on a fair amount of occassions - ive found that just pressing the list button at the bottom of the remote while live tv is playing is perfect as it brings up the file browser on the left and then i can select from there (only found that out last week)

Comfysofa
21-04-11, 10:40
Saying that - how can i get the vu to browse windows shares?? as i could then navigate to my drobo which is holding the bulk of the media....

Tw4T
21-04-11, 10:48
what box you got comfysofa ? VU+ Duo doesnt have a list button :(

Tw4T
21-04-11, 10:50
I use mount manager for cifs (shares). works perfect in "media player". Some have said the Duo is not to good at DivX, but Ive had no problems at all so far.

pooface
21-04-11, 10:59
Saying that - how can i get the vu to browse windows shares?? as i could then navigate to my drobo which is holding the bulk of the media....

Assuming you have the boxes linked via an nfs share, I've found the easiest way is to create a symlink...

e.g. if I have the share as:

/media/net/nfs1

I create a symlink in /media/hdd/movie to /media/net/nfs1

This will then show all directories and movies in that folder :)

NB, I've only tried this on the ViX image. It might/probably does not work on any other image, as I remember andy having to code it in for me when we were testing it ;)

what box you got comfysofa ? VU+ Duo doesnt have a list button :(

I think he means the recorded items button. On the duo remote, it's between the "Menu" button and the "Audio" button...

Tw4T
21-04-11, 11:12
Ha, Had no idea that was there. Feel thick now.

pooface
21-04-11, 13:46
Ha, Had no idea that was there. Feel thick now.

Don't worry mate ... you're only about the 100th person I told about it ;) No, seriously, loads of people don't realise that button is the recordings menu :p

Stanman
21-04-11, 15:03
Assuming you have the boxes linked via an nfs share, I've found the easiest way is to create a symlink...

e.g. if I have the share as:

/media/net/nfs1

I create a symlink in /media/hdd/movie to /media/net/nfs1

This will then show all directories and movies in that folder :)

NB, I've only tried this on the ViX image. It might/probably does not work on any other image, as I remember andy having to code it in for me when we were testing it ;)

I think he means the recorded items button. On the duo remote, it's between the "Menu" button and the "Audio" button...

Once you do this can the folder contents been seen just like the recorded programmes and play thr same way without going via media player?

pooface
21-04-11, 19:16
Once you do this can the folder contents been seen just like the recorded programmes and play thr same way without going via media player?

Yup, that's how I do it. I have files recorded on duo available on et9000 via a symlink to the nfs mounted folder... All works great. Just needs to wait for the hdd to wake from standby sometimes...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

Stanman
21-04-11, 19:38
Will have to tell me how to do the symlink thingy.

I guess I could do the same with my NAS as well?

pooface
21-04-11, 21:24
Will have to tell me how to do the symlink thingy.

I guess I could do the same with my NAS as well?

Moved your post to this thread, as I assume that's where you were meaning it to be :p

Anyway, to create a symlink, do the following in telnet:

ln -s /media/duohdd/movie/ /media/hdd/movie/Recordings

In this instance, I have the hdd on the vu duo mounted on my et9000 as /media/duohdd. Obviously, within this hdd, I have the /movie/ directory (where all the recordings are stored). I'm telling the et9000 to create the symlink as Recordings under /media/hdd/movie, so that when I'm in the usual movie hdd under the recorded items menu, I see the hdd as Recordings. If I select this folder in the et9000, it shows all movies I have recorded on the duo.

In my instance, to get the duo hdd mounted where it is, I have manually added an fstab item, as following:

192.168.0.150:/media/hdd /media/duohdd nfs rsize=32768,wsize=32768,timeo=14,intr 0 0

Stanman
21-04-11, 22:47
Thanks mate will give this a try tomorrow.

Stanman
22-04-11, 15:17
Moved your post to this thread, as I assume that's where you were meaning it to be :p

Anyway, to create a symlink, do the following in telnet:

ln -s /media/duohdd/movie/ /media/hdd/movie/Recordings

In this instance, I have the hdd on the vu duo mounted on my et9000 as /media/duohdd. Obviously, within this hdd, I have the /movie/ directory (where all the recordings are stored). I'm telling the et9000 to create the symlink as Recordings under /media/hdd/movie, so that when I'm in the usual movie hdd under the recorded items menu, I see the hdd as Recordings. If I select this folder in the et9000, it shows all movies I have recorded on the duo.

In my instance, to get the duo hdd mounted where it is, I have manually added an fstab item, as following:

192.168.0.150:/media/hdd /media/duohdd nfs rsize=32768,wsize=32768,timeo=14,intr 0 0

Tried that mounted it via network browser as /media/vuduo and ran the telnet command but didnt work. Are the commands case sensitive?

pooface
22-04-11, 16:46
I assume u changed the command to the correct directories for ur system. And yes, is all case sensitive being linux ;)

Stanman
22-04-11, 16:57
I can see the symlink in DCC but not from the playlist on the box.

I am doing the same as you fromthe Vu to the ET9000. Mounted the vu hdd as /media/vuduo and replaced this in front of the telnet command as below

ln -s /media/vuduo/movie/ /media/hdd/movie/Recordings

The only thing I did not do was the Fstab commands.

pooface
22-04-11, 18:11
On et9000, what happens if u type "cd /media/hdd/Recordings"?

Stanman
22-04-11, 18:13
-Sh not found?

I guess the symlink didn't work? or have I mounted wrong.

Whats the command for a screen grab?

pooface
22-04-11, 18:26
I use:

grab -d -p /tmp/file.png

Stanman
22-04-11, 18:31
This is the mount manager and looks like its mounted OK

pooface
22-04-11, 19:09
What happens when you cd /media/vuduo. You sure it's not mounted as /media/net/vuduo?!

Stanman
22-04-11, 19:16
tried the cd command with both paths and same result -sh not found

pooface
22-04-11, 20:52
tried the cd command with both paths and same result -sh not found

Not sure why you're getting that :confused: You sure you telnetted correctly?!

Stanman
23-04-11, 09:13
:Dsure am, it asked me for the username and password, tried both via DCC - that didnt need pwd and windows telnet. Equally confused as followed your instructions:confused:

Comfysofa
24-04-11, 06:29
Yeah - thats the one PooFace.....i was messing around and found it by accident..... thanks for the explanation on the cifs share stuff - however i have no idea how to do that....isnt what im trying to do available in a pkg file - cifs client or something like that....ie i go to file browser and ive got a "network" file which i can then go into and see all the devices on my network....or, am i asking too much??