PDA

View Full Version : Doublefeed LNB cable

barrykap
14-04-11, 19:46
I have seen 'double-barrelled' 'shotgun' type cable being used on Sky dish installations and wondered if I could get any as it SEEMS to be no bigger than the usual 7mm dia cable. Does anyone know if this is true? Only I want to replace a single cable with a dualfeed cable and if possible pull the new cable through the same existing hole.

Does this cable need different F connectors than the usual CT100 type?

Thanks.

Barry.

Larry-G
14-04-11, 19:49
yes you can buy it easily enough. speak to the site sponsor he may be able to get you a deal on some.
and yes it's the same diameter as standard single coax cable, it also uses the same standard f-connectors.

barrykap
14-04-11, 20:00
Thanks.

So if it uses the same connectors then each core must be the same diameter as the older single core cable. So overall it would be much too big to fit in the same hole I suppose?

Will just have to get a larger drill to open it up then.

Cheers.

barry.

Larry-G
14-04-11, 20:02
it's just a wee bit thicker but it should fit through the same hole easily enough.

punisher
14-04-11, 20:30
should be an 8mm drill hole for the single sky dish cable, so double barreled cable "should" fit through the same hole as ive seen the old single one being pulled out and replaced by the double cable without having to re-drill

barrykap
14-04-11, 20:36
Thanks.

On a different subject slightly, but connected to the same job I am doing, I have an Octo LNB for Astra 2 feeding four receivers (dual tuners). I wish to use an Optima MS512 5 x 12 multiswitch to provide additional Astra 2 feed pairs and I read that this box will accept a 'regular' Quad LNB input as well as the Quattro type. What I am asking is, could I use four of the outputs from the Octo LNB to feed the multiswitch and the other four outputs from the same Octo LNB for other (non-switched) feeds? ie. I use half the Octo LNB to feed the multiswitch and the other half to feed 'straight-through'. Hope this is clear! :-)
Cheers if you can help.

Barry

plusser
22-04-11, 09:23
Thanks.

So if it uses the same connectors then each core must be the same diameter as the older single core cable. So overall it would be much too big to fit in the same hole I suppose?

Will just have to get a larger drill to open it up then.

Cheers.

barry.

It's flatter but wider than single COAX - it will go through (about) the same sized hole in the wall (I got mine through the old single caox hole no problem)
The F connectors are NOT the same as "normal" ones - the neck is smaller to take account of the skinnier cable. Normal ones will not grip the cable!

+er

plusser
22-04-11, 09:26
and yes it's the same diameter as standard single coax cable, it also uses the same standard f-connectors.

It's not the same diameter and normal F connectors are not suitable. At least, that's the case with the cable I have.

Larry-G
22-04-11, 10:08
It's not the same diameter and normal F connectors are not suitable. At least, that's the case with the cable I have.

i used the same f connectors on 3 dishes one with shotgun dual feed coax and the other two with standard coax. all fitted just fine.

plusser
23-04-11, 17:06
i used the same f connectors on 3 dishes one with shotgun dual feed coax and the other two with standard coax. all fitted just fine.

Then that would be normal coax, just two strands together. Surely the ides of "twin" coax is that it's thinner? Otherwise, might just as well run two individual cables.
My dual coax is thinner than the normal coax (eg, WF100) and normal F connectors do not fit it.

+er

punisher
23-04-11, 17:37
I just run 2 seperate cables and clip em to the wall together, look just as gud but a very tite fit in an 8mm drill out, need a 10mm drill bit to get some comfy space. Not much of a problem though

Larry-G
23-04-11, 20:23
Then that would be normal coax, just two strands together. Surely the ides of "twin" coax is that it's thinner? Otherwise, might just as well run two individual cables.
My dual coax is thinner than the normal coax (eg, WF100) and normal F connectors do not fit it.

+er

its the coax sky them selves use as i got a full real from a installer i know. and i use the same f.connectors.

digidude
23-04-11, 20:45
shotgun cable (called CT65) is thinner than normal cable. normal co-ax is 7mm diameter, this stuff if 4.8mm. Sky normally drill a 10mm hole for the cabels, they always have, and the twin cable @ 9.8mm fits through existing holes.

normal screw on connectors for WF100 etc are too big for this cable, and they have connectors where the main body is a tighter fit to screw on to the cable

TBH though, the cable itself is really poor over distances greater than ~ 15M, but it is a different cable that does have its own type of connectors.

with the multiswitch, what youre planning will work fine. this switch sends the 22kHz switching signals and different power levels to force the LNB to switch to the desired bands, theres no reason the other 4 outputs cannot be used 'as normal'

plusser
23-04-11, 21:14
its the coax sky them selves use as i got a full real from a installer i know. and i use the same f.connectors.

So, if you are using the same F connectors then this must be normal-sized cable (WF100).
I am using the cable that digidude mentions and if I understood him correctly, that is what Sky are using. The F connectors for this are "tighter in the neck" to take account of the thinner cable.

+er

punisher
23-04-11, 21:35
Yeh the sky dual cable use thinner/different f connectors to the standard cable

Larry-G
23-04-11, 21:53
So, if you are using the same F connectors then this must be normal-sized cable (WF100).
I am using the cable that digidude mentions and if I understood him correctly, that is what Sky are using. The F connectors for this are "tighter in the neck" to take account of the thinner cable.

+er

no i use the standard f connectors with a bit of self amalgamating tape around the coax then a bit around the connector it self this creates a snug waterproof seal.

plusser
24-04-11, 08:29
no i use the standard f connectors with a bit of self amalgamating tape around the coax then a bit around the connector it self this creates a snug waterproof seal.

You'd be better off using the correct F connectors.
Also - and I might be wrong here - the insulating shield which is folded back over the cable before putting the F connector on needs to be in contact with the F plug - using self amalgamating tape (to make the cable thicker and hold the wrong-sized plug on) will prevent the contact.
Of course, sealing the plug with same tape is a good idea for outside connections - obviously not needed inside (unless you are using the wrong F connectors).

+er

Larry-G
24-04-11, 08:50
You'd be better off using the correct F connectors.
Also - and I might be wrong here - the insulating shield which is folded back over the cable before putting the F connector on needs to be in contact with the F plug - using self amalgamating tape (to make the cable thicker and hold the wrong-sized plug on) will prevent the contact.
Of course, sealing the plug with same tape is a good idea for outside connections - obviously not needed inside (unless you are using the wrong F connectors).

+er

not necessarily. i have a box of several hundred f-connectors, so why waste money buying more ? i always use a small piece of self amalgamating tape on the coax first then fold the shield over that, screw the connector on and cover with another piece of tape. this takes seconds to do and in my experience holds better and lasts far longer than the slimmer connectors. and i always use self amalgamating tape whether inside or outside, it has nothing to do with wrong sized connectors it's common sense. also while were on the topic of wrong sized connectors were talking millimeters here not inches and yards. iv'e been in this hobby for a lot off years and in my experience a little bit of ingenuity goes a long way.

plusser
24-04-11, 14:32
not necessarily. i have a box of several hundred f-connectors, so why waste money buying more ? i always use a small piece of self amalgamating tape on the coax first then fold the shield over that, screw the connector on and cover with another piece of tape. this takes seconds to do and in my experience holds better and lasts far longer than the slimmer connectors. and i always use self amalgamating tape whether inside or outside, it has nothing to do with wrong sized connectors it's common sense. also while were on the topic of wrong sized connectors were talking millimeters here not inches and yards. iv'e been in this hobby for a lot off years and in my experience a little bit of ingenuity goes a long way.

It's not relevant to talk mm/cm/metres - what is relevant is the % difference, which is significant (otherwise they wouldn't make the slimmer F plugs).
Also, in post 2, you claim the cable is the same diameter and takes the same F connectors. Now it seems you agree that the cable IS slimmer but normal F connectors can be bodged on.
The OP is be much better advised to use the correct-sized connectors.

Larry-G
24-04-11, 15:52
It's not relevant to talk mm/cm/metres - what is relevant is the % difference, which is significant (otherwise they wouldn't make the slimmer F plugs).
Also, in post 2, you claim the cable is the same diameter and takes the same F connectors. Now it seems you agree that the cable IS slimmer but normal F connectors can be bodged on.
The OP is be much better advised to use the correct-sized connectors.

i would hardly call any of my work a bodge job. the fact that all of my installations last for years and in many cases over a decade without ever needing any further work done speaks for it self.

Stanman
24-04-11, 21:05
i would hardly call any of my work a bodge job. the fact that all of my installations last for years and in many cases over a decade without ever needing any further work done speaks for it self.

Well thats a complete bodge job, weres the repeat custom from doing a decent job:D:coffin:

silverfox0786
24-04-11, 21:17
Well thats a complete bodge job, weres the repeat custom from doing a decent job:D:coffin:

:roflmao: :zoom: