PDA

View Full Version : Gutted !

Monty
25-03-10, 10:36
I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this bad today.
Had a call this morning to say that there was still no stock of the VU+ , and that delivery of my pre order "could" take another couple of weeks.
Normally I wouldn't be too fussed and just carry on, but for some reason this is getting to me.
It's been ages since I bought myself any new toys and I spent so long deciding on what I thought would be the right box for me.
I was like a kid counting down to christmas and now I just been told there is no Santa ! :(
So, all you guys sitting waiting for your pre ordered VU+ this week, I feel your pain.
Right, Sicilian, PM me your home address please, I'm moving in with you ;D

bobonthejob
25-03-10, 10:44
I think that every supplier is now trying to get in on the act. ********* has set the trend and all are ready to take the plunge and get the boxes in.

However the stock is short....

@********* - whats the latest from you mate?

Sicilian
25-03-10, 10:45
You can move in m8, no problem. One condition though, your cooking has got to be better than my wifes! :P

Monty
25-03-10, 10:48
You can move in m8, no problem. One condition though, your cooking has got to be better than my wifes! :P

Hey, I don't do cooking so I hope you have more to offer or I may be forced to find somewhere else :)

BOB, the call I had came from ********* :(

bobonthejob
25-03-10, 11:09
Thanksfully im from Leicester and manaaged to pick mines of him from hisfirst/second batch...

Monty
25-03-10, 11:15
Thanksfully im from Leicester and manaaged to pick mines of him from hisfirst/second batch...

Typical, them bloody english get everything easy :)

bobonthejob
25-03-10, 11:27
Found one... ;D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VU-Duo-Twin-Linux-HDTV-Receiver-PVR-Ready-1-5-TB-hdd_W0QQitemZ200444561977QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Con Ele_SatCableFreeview_RL?hash=item2eab6d4a39

What a joke!!!!!!

Monty
25-03-10, 11:39
Found one... ;D

What a joke!!!!!!

Aye, google dragged that up for me earlier. Spose if he finds someone desperate enough it will sell.
At the average price of ?400 for the VU+ he's taking ?135 for the hard drive and another ?25 postage, not greedy at all :)

Chunkey
25-03-10, 12:02
>:(I know the feeling Monty, I got the same call from Anthony this morning. He is going to send my dish pack, so hopefully I can get this installed (not sure if if will be possible with no receiver to check signal strength etc).

Fair play to ********* for keeping us informed though.

Chunkey

Sicilian
25-03-10, 12:04
Greedy fooker!

Monty
25-03-10, 12:22
>:(I know the feeling Monty, I got the same call from Anthony this morning. He is going to send my dish pack, so hopefully I can get this installed (not sure if if will be possible with no receiver to check signal strength etc).

Fair play to ********* for keeping us informed though.

Chunkey

Hi Chunky.
It is possible to set up your dish without receiver but it takes a bit more work.
When I installed my dish and motor I hadn't touched anything sat related for over 10 years. I had my DM600 and a small cheap sat meter.
I managed to get the dish about 99% spot on without connecting the receiver.
Depends on your site I guess but at least doing your dish will give you something to work on while waiting for your new receiver.

bobonthejob
25-03-10, 12:30
Yeah get moving on this dish....

Dont do what i did :D get the box and then wait for the dish to get fitted. That was crewl on me.

I even powere up the box just to take a look. Had it flashed several times with out the having of the dish.

Lol.

Monty
25-03-10, 12:34
Yeah get moving on this dish....

Dont do what i did :D get the box and then wait for the dish to get fitted. That was crewl on me.

I even powere up the box just to take a look. Had it flashed several times with out the having of the dish.

Lol.

And there was me thinking I was a sad case :)

Monty
25-03-10, 12:40
Still reeling from the phone call this morning, I was restless.
Shaking a needing a fix, I went trawling and just ordered 1 of these

http://www.prof-tuners.com/eng/prof7300.html
Does that mean when it arrives, I will need to go sign up for another forum that deals with PC SAT setups?
:)

Sicilian
25-03-10, 12:42
Just to make you a little more excited, I had mine recording 4HD channels and watching a 5th HD channel at the weekend :D They where spread over 2 transponders on the same satellite.

Twigman
25-03-10, 12:44
I preordered last Friday (19th March) and I doubt I'll even get one from the next batch :(

I do hope it doesn't drag into May because that's going to cause me some problems if it does. :(

bobonthejob
25-03-10, 12:45
Just to make you a little more excited, I had mine recording 4HD channels and watching a 5th HD channel at the weekend :D They where spread over 2 transponders on the same satellite.

Lol....

I think i may be thinkning of getting a fixed dish for Sly UK. A small dish...would that be pointing to just 28.2? or 28.5? too?

Sicilian
25-03-10, 12:46
I doubt it Twigman, I heard there's lots of stock due into the europe in the next couple of weeks.

Monty
25-03-10, 12:47

OMG.
Can't you find anything more irritating than salt to rub in my woulds?

supathug
25-03-10, 20:49
Hi All,

Wow - I really feel for some of you. To all of you waiting for your boxes to arrive - TRUST ME - it will be soooo worth the wait. From being a total noob to the scene (and one of the first owners of the VU DUO) a few months ago I've managed to get the box to play ISOs from my NAS, MKVs in HD as well as watching sat.This box is much more than just a receiver.

I'm about to take a step into the unknown now as well. My motorised dish pack arrived today so I'm just waiting to get the install arranged so i can go from fixed dish to scanning the sky! Bob, whats going on with the installer dude?

dfdream
25-03-10, 21:04
Supathug,

Did you try any 1080 mkvs.

The image is in a funny streched look and sub its proper quality.

Lower 702p mkvs and mp4s are fine.

And Yeah Bob, whats going on with the installer dude?

Only joking . . . Wont be at it till next week but I think his input would be appreciated on the site...

D

Monty
25-03-10, 21:18
supathug
Although I don't fiddle with sat like a lot do, I have had a motorised setup running for about 2 years and this was going to be my first "upgrade", the VU+
I ordered 3 weeks ago when the online pre ordering went live for this batch and was really looking forward to getting my hands on it this week.
I had planned stuff around this week to give me time but here's the week almost over, and it looks like it'll be a few weeks more waiting.
I seriously doubt any receiver is worth that greif and later today I started going off the boil and having second thoughts about even bothering with it.
I still have a fully working setup, have today ordered a SAT PCI card for my PC and I have all the media players any one could want :)
I just wanted a new toy and was willing to wait the indicated time when I ordered, but I'm already 1 week past that date with the possibility of weeks more to wait.Scunnered is the word we use up here :)

Sicilian
25-03-10, 21:54
Monty its well worth the wait, trust me.

Monty
26-03-10, 13:00
Monty its well worth the wait, trust me.

AHAHAHAHA!
Just noticed your avatar :)

supathug
27-03-10, 01:20
Hang in there Monty! Trust me you wont be disappointed. As they say - all good things come to those who wait! Spoke to Ant\Lavaman from ********* the other day. Hes trying his hardest to get them but I think everyone is in the same boat ATM. Hopefully not too much longer! As for the MKV stuff - I cant say I have tried anything other than 720p MKVs so far. I'll have to give one of those a shot and see what I find.

supathug
27-03-10, 01:26
Hang in there Monty! Trust me you wont be disappointed. As they say - all good things come to those who wait! Spoke to Ant\Lavaman from satstore the other day. Hes trying his hardest to get them but I think everyone is in the same boat ATM. Hopefully not too much longer! As for the MKV stuff - I cant say I have tried anything other than 720p MKVs so far. I'll have to give one of those a shot and see what I find.

I meant ********* not Satstore! My bad.

cervot
27-03-10, 19:01
HI, I ordered my VU+Duo on th 9th march and was told it will be onher 3 weeks only the other day, shit happens, it will soon be here, it just means more time to learn about this box. Luckily i still have my trusty dreambox to fall back on until the arrival. You never know it may turn up earlier than expected.

regards

cervot ;D

micscave
27-03-10, 20:26
How do all
I'm waiting for one of these to come from Wizard, been on order for a week or so now but no update as to when stock will arrive. I can't wait though as everything I have read as so postive about this receiver. I've never used a linux box before so I guess I'm in for a lot of head scratching and pulling my hair out capers.

From your pics Sic, I see that there is a SATA cable included in the box, is that right ? Also is there an HDMI cable in there too ?

Thanks for a great forum

micscave

Retired member
27-03-10, 20:52
Yep comes complete with SATA cable (there is also the power cable already inside the receiver) and an HDMI cable. You also get the HDD mounting bracket and screws and rubber errrr things to hold it place so it shouldn't vibrate. Strangely though there isn't actually any instructions on how to fit this HDD bracket in the manual but it's fairly straight forward to work out, at least to those who watch the Kryton Factor ;D

Sicilian
27-03-10, 21:26
Photo's on my review pretty much explain how to fit the HDD http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/vu-duo-discussion/my-quick-review-of-the-vu-plus-duo-receiver/

hummer66
28-03-10, 07:39
Hi All

New to this site so be gentle
Ordered mine 5th march from *********
update on delivery of stock later part of next week ;D
Hope i get it before easter break ???
im useing a ufs910 at the mo with E2 F1 usb

Monty
28-03-10, 10:39
Hi hummer66 and welcome :)
I hope yours shows up on time :)

supathug
28-03-10, 10:44
How do all
I'm waiting for one of these to come from Wizard, been on order for a week or so now but no update as to when stock will arrive. I can't wait though as everything I have read as so postive about this receiver. I've never used a linux box before so I guess I'm in for a lot of head scratching and pulling my hair out capers.

From your pics Sic, I see that there is a SATA cable included in the box, is that right ? Also is there an HDMI cable in there too ?

Thanks for a great forum

micscave

@micscave dont do what I did and install the HDD and think the SATA power cable is missing. The sly devils sometimes fold it underneath the mainboard so it will be there if u dont see it straight away!

bobonthejob
28-03-10, 12:00
@supathug - Haha...i didnt fall for that one.

micscave
28-03-10, 21:24
How do all

Thanks for a great forum

micscave

@micscave dont do what I did and install the HDD and think the SATA power cable is missing. The sly devils sometimes fold it underneath the mainboard so it will be there if u dont see it straight away!
Cheers for that, I'll bear it in mind when I come to fit the 1.5 TB Samsung drive I bought for my new toy.

Retired member
30-03-10, 11:57
Just had a very small batch arrive in for those that have pre-orders (sorry not everyones yet so please don't ask, if we've not been in touch afraid your isn't one of them just yet)... But just a couple of interesting things to note, the remote now comes in black to match the receiver (as you may remember from the original pictures) and the hard disk mounting bracket is now built into the receiver rather than as a seperate item... More news on the outstanding pre-orders as soon as we have news ourselves :)

Twigman
30-03-10, 12:02
Just had a very small batch arrive in for those that have pre-orders (sorry not everyones yet so please don't ask, if we've not been in touch afraid your isn't one of them just yet).
:(

the remote now comes in black to match the receiver
FANTASTIC! :)

the hard disk mounting bracket is now built into the receiver rather than as a seperate item
BOOOO!!!

;)

Monty
30-03-10, 12:06
Just had a very small batch arrive in for those that have pre-orders (sorry not everyones yet so please don't ask, if we've not been in touch afraid your isn't one of them just yet)

Checked "my account" for the nine trillionth time.
"Yet a further update on stock arrival of the VU+ DUO... Good news this time, we are now expecting stock despatch to us late this coming week!
With this in mind we have now taken the decision of releasing payment from your credit/debit card, this will be done during the course of today (Saturday 27th March)."

I've been keeping really queit incase I jinx everything but I'm hoping this means what I think it means, if you know what I mean ;)

Sicilian
30-03-10, 12:08
Bah! I want a black remote now! :(

Monty
30-03-10, 12:10
Bah! I want a black remote now! :(

No comment at this time :)

Twigman
30-03-10, 12:25
Just had a very small batch arrive in for those that have pre-orders (sorry not everyones yet so please don't ask, if we've not been in touch afraid your isn't one of them just yet)

Checked "my account" for the nine trillionth time.
"Yet a further update on stock arrival of the VU+ DUO... Good news this time, we are now expecting stock despatch to us late this coming week!
With this in mind we have now taken the decision of releasing payment from your credit/debit card, this will be done during the course of today (Saturday 27th March)."

I've been keeping really queit incase I jinx everything but I'm hoping this means what I think it means, if you know what I mean ;)

May I ask your order number so I might guesstimate how far down the queue I might be?

Monty
30-03-10, 12:30
Order #430 Order Date: Thursday 04 March, 2010

Twigman
30-03-10, 12:32
Order #430 Order Date: Thursday 04 March, 2010
Order #472 (Pre-Order)
Order Date: Friday 19 March, 2010

bobonthejob
30-03-10, 12:34
Doh!..... I want a black remote. All my remote controls are black apart from this one.

Any chance of a swap :D

Retired member
30-03-10, 12:35
Anyone who's on the pre-order list and ordered before 11/03/10 should be getting one from the next batch that's due to be sent out to us this week, in all likelihood it's going to be next week before you receive them though because of the double Bank Holiday this coming weekend, anyone who's order on or after the 11/03/10 will be down for the late April batch. :)

Monty
30-03-10, 12:36
I have not heard anything about my order, last update was 27/03/2010.
Last couple of days I have been feeling fine and nothing is getting under my skin, so I'm happy to sit back and see what happens, tomorrow might be different though :D

Monty
30-03-10, 12:38
Anyone who's on the pre-order list and ordered before 11/03/10 should be getting one from the next batch that's due to be sent out to us this week, in all likelihood it's going to be next week before you receive them though because of the double Bank Holiday this coming weekend, anyone who's order on or after the 11/03/10 will be down for the late April batch. :)

Sitting here with fingers crossed.
Thanks for the info ;D

hummer66
30-03-10, 14:51
In the same boat as you monty but ive more than my fingers crossed ::)

Monty
30-03-10, 14:53

Ahh hummer, dunno about you but this worse than waiting for the birth of my first born :)

Twigman
30-03-10, 14:57

Ahh hummer, dunno about you but this worse than waiting for the birth of my first born :)

LOL

when I get like that I always end up feeling deflated and disappointed when whatever I'm waiting for eventually turns up....even if it exceeds my initial expectations

hummer66
30-03-10, 15:01
so if it doesnt come before easter i have to revert to job no2
rip down kitchen ceiling rewire then renew ceiling :'( :'( :'(

Sicilian
30-03-10, 15:02
so if it doesnt come before easter i have to revert to job no2
rip down kitchen ceiling rewire then renew ceiling :'( :'( :'(

Least ya missus will be happy lmao!

Monty
30-03-10, 15:04
I'm not used to feeling like this, waiting, watching for emails dropping in :)
I have never pre ordered anything in my life, Im the type to take something if it's there, and move on if it's not.
Not sure how all this will end, but I don't think I will be a regular pre orderer :)

Retired member
30-03-10, 15:23
No to be fair we're not the sort to take pre-orders on products either, we've been the same, if we've got the product here we'll sell it, if we've not we errr wont ;D But on this one we've had to go with how it's been offered to us and just take them when we can or we'd have ended up with nothing! All be sorted out soon though I'm sure :)

Twigman
30-03-10, 15:43
me too

I'm not normally one to pre-order.

If I'm spending anything more than ?100 I normally like a touchy feely demo first at the very least but this just isn't possible with this so I am having to find some failth from somewhere....

Twigman
30-03-10, 17:01
and the hard disk mounting bracket is now built into the receiver rather than as a seperate item...
I gotta ask - so how is the HDD now screwed to the bracket? It looke to me like you'd need to get under the HDD to screw the screws to fix it to the bracket or has the whole fixing mechanism changed?

Sicilian
30-03-10, 17:12
Post some photos when u get yours please :)

Twigman
30-03-10, 17:15
Post some photos when u get yours please :)

Will do

Retired member
30-03-10, 21:50
and the hard disk mounting bracket is now built into the receiver rather than as a seperate item...
I gotta ask - so how is the HDD now screwed to the bracket? It looke to me like you'd need to get under the HDD to screw the screws to fix it to the bracket or has the whole fixing mechanism changed?

I couldn't tell you for sure at the moment because I didn't have time to actually take the top off, they arrived just after 11:30 and needed to get them all booked, packed and labeled by 12 so they'd go out today... But I looked through the vents at the top and could see what looks like the bracket that fitted to the bottom of the drive before was already screwed into place... My guess is they are just screwed into place now as standard rather than loose in the box, you then need to unscrew it, fix it to the drive, then screw back down again, but as I say only a guess as I didnt take the top off, maybe we can get one of the few that got theirs sent today to let us know when they arrive...

Twigman
31-03-10, 10:39

I couldn't tell you for sure at the moment because I didn't have time to actually take the top off, they arrived just after 11:30 and needed to get them all booked, packed and labeled by 12 so they'd go out today... But I looked through the vents at the top and could see what looks like the bracket that fitted to the bottom of the drive before was already screwed into place... My guess is they are just screwed into place now as standard rather than loose in the box, you then need to unscrew it, fix it to the drive, then screw back down again, but as I say only a guess as I didnt take the top off, maybe we can get one of the few that got theirs sent today to let us know when they arrive...

Sic's rev 1.3 pics thread shows all. :)

satmanbasil
12-04-10, 23:34
Hi mates

Was expecting to receive my Vu+ before easter however it was despatched on 30th may its got lost last seen departing at the dhl hub in hams hall @ 23.20 never to be seen again so now havin to wait for the next batch to arrive so lets hope they wrap this one in plain brown paper and stick a gps satellite tag on it coz dhl barcode trace sure does suck :(:(:(

regards
satmanbasil

Monty
13-04-10, 19:46
Sorry to hear this has happened to you satmanbasil.
I had a shipment go missing last year using DHL, and after 3 weeks got a replacement.
The original arrived the very next day and when I reported it to the seller, he contacted DHL only to be told they still had no record of it.
He ended up getting paid for lost goods and insisted I keep both shipments :)

Chunkey
14-04-10, 07:59
Monty

Did you end up holding on for the next delivery or did you cancel ?

Cheers

Chunkey

Monty
14-04-10, 10:10
Monty

Did you end up holding on for the next delivery or did you cancel ?

Cheers

Chunkey

I didn't cancel Chunkey, I let it run.

Chunkey
14-04-10, 10:13
So when are you expecting delivery Monty ?

Monty
14-04-10, 10:15
So when are you expecting delivery Monty ?

Every day mate :)
I don't know, tomorrow is mid April, then we'll move onto late April, but I'm not sure in which year :)

Chunkey
14-04-10, 10:21
I ordered on 4th March and my last phone call from ********* said delivery on 15th April. Not heard anything yet so not looking like tomorrow.

Everything crossed at the moment.

Chunkey

Twigman
14-04-10, 10:25
I knpw the P in PM means Private but I'm sure ********* wouldn't mind me posting this, I got a PM last night which contained the following:

hope to have confirmation in a couple of days that we are finally about due to get some stock!

Monty
14-04-10, 10:25
Chunkey.
I ordered same day but I wasn't given a date when I had my last call on 31/03/2010.
Now I'm wondering should I have had a call ?
I've only checked my order status about 20 times this morning:)

Monty
14-04-10, 10:31
Aw Twigman, that dosent sound like Chunkey will be having a wee delivery tomorrow :(
But thanks for the info.

hummer66
14-04-10, 10:34
monty
ordered mine 5th march and had no call ?

Twigman
14-04-10, 10:41
I ordered 19th March
I had a call on 7th April when they took payment
The call 7th April said they expected delivery 'in the week after 15th April'.
I don't think anything has changed, yet.

Monty
14-04-10, 10:43
monty
ordered mine 5th march and had no call ?

To be fair, I wasn't expecting a call so soon, I know if ********* had any reliable info, he wouldn't hesitate to pass it on. Or maybe, he is a master of torture :)
Nah, looking around no one seems to have a guaranteed date for these boxes.

Chunkey
14-04-10, 10:47
Just checked my order status and it still mentions April 15 delivery re-schedule, but I won't hold my breath.

Monty
14-04-10, 11:06
31/03/2010 my status was last updated.

Chunkey
14-04-10, 11:12
Mine was also updated 31/03/2010 but it defo says 15th April delivery re-schedule.

Monty
14-04-10, 11:16
Mine was also updated 31/03/2010 but it defo says 15th April delivery re-schedule.

I had no dates mentioned anywhere, maybe because I told him I was thinking of cancelling.
I was annoyed with myself more than anything because just days previous to my call, I could have ordered from definate stock in Germany, and I would have taken delivery on the day I had the call from *********.

Retired member
14-04-10, 11:18
15th April is still the one we hope for, tomorrow in other words, that's for despatch to us from within Europe, so then 2-3 working days afterwards for receipt here, we'll then get them turned around the same day if they arrive early enough and sent out DHL next day guaranteed delivery, so have fingers crossed we are not let down again at the very last moment!

Monty
14-04-10, 11:20
Thanks for the update.
Let's hope you are not let down this time :)

Twigman
14-04-10, 11:24
Thanks for the update.
Let's hope you are not let down this time :)

What he said.

hummer66
14-04-10, 11:29
dito .........

oneforall
14-04-10, 17:20
I don't know, tomorrow is mid April, then we'll move onto late April, but I'm not sure in which year :)
Hilarious indeed! :D And that too when I have been waiting since 1st of March now.

Monty
14-04-10, 17:24
The funny thing is, laughing about it has made the wait slighlty less painful :)

Sicilian
14-04-10, 19:12
Woohoo good news then guys :)

Monty
14-04-10, 19:34
Woohoo good news then guys :)

Where? where's that good news? :P

grtmoby
14-04-10, 20:13
no news is good news :)

Monty
14-04-10, 20:26
no news is good news :)

So, does that mean there is no such thing as good news, or the absence of news is good? :)

grtmoby
14-04-10, 20:30
look to us in here,
i am afraid, both are applicable in our case here :P

Monty
14-04-10, 20:32
Man, I posted more in last few days than I ever have in my whole life.
How things will change once that damned box arrives :)

grtmoby
14-04-10, 20:34
Man, I posted more in last few days than I ever have in my whole life.
How things will change once that damned box arrives :)

the we'll have no news
hahhahahhahah
either the board will crash from asking load or deserted as all of us will get busy lol

tommyturnip
14-04-10, 23:00
I'm trying not to think about what date it is and just be presently surprised when it turns up.

Tyler
01-09-10, 11:20
You think thats bad.....
I am in Ireland and have been told it will be another 2 weeks before my Vu Duo see's the light of day.
:-(

Mr.McGee
01-09-10, 11:25
I noticed that the price of the Vu+ Duo has fallen. The place where I bought mine is now 20€ cheaper.

pooface
01-09-10, 15:09
That's because they were selling them at a higher price when the demand was so high. Demand has now fallen a little, so price has come down a little...

Glad I got mine when it had £50 off :p

Sicilian
01-09-10, 15:12
Cheapest retailer isn't allways the best to buy from ;)

grtmoby
01-09-10, 15:14
most probably i have the most expensive duo on earth :roflmao:

pooface
01-09-10, 15:17
most probably i have the most expensive duo on earth :roflmao:

It's ok, you've got the money to pay for it though :p (oh yeah, that £100 you said you'd give me would come in handy now :roflmao:

grtmoby
01-09-10, 15:19
It's ok, you've got the money to pay for it though :p (oh yeah, that £100 you said you'd give me would come in handy now :roflmao:

u lousy n naughty chap, these were only 90 :p

Conaxthewarrior
13-10-10, 19:48
Today I went to the address to return my v+ duo. it's working ok except that it wont show the 7 BBC stream chanels on 28E. I see these when the snooker is shown (live in denmark, no red button facility). Arrived there place was closed so went home still with the reciever! I dont want it, cant get rid of it, cant get it to see these streams and am very depressed. Any ideas?

Sicilian
13-10-10, 19:54
Today I went to the address to return my v+ duo. it's working ok except that it wont show the 7 BBC stream chanels on 28E. I see these when the snooker is shown (live in denmark, no red button facility). Arrived there place was closed so went home still with the reciever! I dont want it, cant get rid of it, cant get it to see these streams and am very depressed. Any ideas?

Great first post :roflmao: What has this got to do with the OP? I suggest you take your issue up with the retailer where you purchased your Duo.

stanley1
13-10-10, 20:09

Try this.

epg button > choose bouquet > last scanned > BBC streams are near bottom of page.

Sicilian
17-10-10, 12:05

In future please stop sending me PM's, especially your offensive one sent today and start your own topic giving as much information as possible!

Likvid
17-10-10, 12:29
is it Alsat?

satsatsat
17-10-10, 12:33
haha i bet it is tooo........