PDA

View Full Version : Editing/encoding .ts files

wobbler
01-06-10, 13:57
Anyone any pointers as to how to go about this, maybe not relevant to this forum but I was trying to convert a .ts file to mpg using PVStrumento and it doesn't work.
Really trying to find out how to process HD recordings.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Sicilian
01-06-10, 14:01
Google this, think you will find a lot of results: -

.ts to mpg

kingy29
01-06-10, 14:07
Try Videoredo works great

wobbler
01-06-10, 14:56
Yes, the Googling led me to PVStrumento, and I have also tried VideoReDo without success. If the .ts files are not special Vu+ types then I will probably be better trying avforums.com.
There may be something wrong with my system anyway as PVStrumento used to work, then it just gave up.
Thanks

Garglo
01-06-10, 16:05
I have also tried Videoredo and it works great.

mrgee
01-06-10, 16:15
For sd broadcasts, Just change the file extension from .ts to .mpg. Job done.
For HD, it depends on what encoding the broadcaster is using. As a starting point, make sure you have H264, X264 and WMV codecs installed before trying to encode anything. Best way to do this is to install the Klite codec pack

wobbler
01-06-10, 22:12
For sd broadcasts, Just change the file extension from .ts to .mpg. Job done.
For HD, it depends on what encoding the broadcaster is using. As a starting point, make sure you have H264, X264 and WMV codecs installed before trying to encode anything. Best way to do this is to install the Klite codec pack
ok, thanks for that, but renaming the extension doesn't fool VirtualDub, it just reports 'Cannot detect file type of "D:\20100601 1557 - BBC NEWS News.ts.mpg".'
The same file opens fine in VirtualDub after converting with VideoReDo PLus trial version. This trial version fails to open a HD .ts file with 'This transport stream does not contain an MPEG2 program.'
The trial version offered from the website does say 'Last Update: June 17, 2007' though, so I am waiting for a response from the VideoReDo website.
I'm assuming that if I get a working version of VideoReDo Plus that it will have the necessary codecs built in, in the same way that I can play the HD .TS file using VLC Media player without having to install them onto my system.
Cheers

grtmoby
01-06-10, 22:45
just to make sure....

when renaming u have to enable show file extensions in windows, then delete .ts and write .mpg instead

to enable file extensions open my computer>tools>folder options>view> the 7th check box needs to be de-selected.

wobbler
01-06-10, 22:53
just to make sure....

when renaming u have to enable show file extensions in windows, then delete .ts and write .mpg instead

to enable file extensions open my computer>tools>folder options>view> the 7th check box needs to be de-selected.
Yes, I have 'show file extensions' enabled, as a fiddler it's an essential!
You don't have to delete the current extension, anything before the last period is just taken as part of the filename, so 'myfile.doc.ts.mpg.txt' is just seen by the system as a Notepad file.

grtmoby
01-06-10, 22:56
Yes, I have 'show file extensions' enabled, as a fiddler it's an essential!
You don't have to delete the current extension, anything before the last period is just taken as part of the filename, so 'myfile.doc.ts.mpg.txt' is just seen by the system as a Notepad file.

never worked for me that way but anyway... the other way to change this opening the file in a notepad or word pad. u shall find machine language but in the very first line "TS" will be there change it to "mpg"

just trying to help m8 ;)

wobbler
01-06-10, 23:43
never worked for me that way but anyway... the other way to change this opening the file in a notepad or word pad. u shall find machine language but in the very first line "TS" will be there change it to "mpg"

just trying to help m8 ;)

Yes, thanks, but I think we are going round in circles, the bottom line is that it doesn't matter what the extension is, that just tells the OS what app to fire up if you d/click the file, I was just saying that the .ts fle will not open in VirtaulDub for editing no matter what you call it.
:)

gab2001uk
03-06-10, 01:35
You need v4 of VideoRedo. It is not found easily on the website, but can be found on the forums
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Download.htm?download=tvsuitev4
It can cut out adverts and trim files with h264 video and AC3 audio.
Successfully tested with ITV HD and BBC HD files

wobbler
03-06-10, 10:31
Thanks, yes, the website just sent me a link to the same thing in their forum - http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?t=15759
Works great!

gareth41
03-06-10, 12:12
Google ProjectX, its a TS demux tool programmed in Java, I use it all the time to process TS streams to elementry m2v/mp2 files ready for use in dvd authoring software.
ProjectX will also convert TS files to M2P files which is the same as MPG. If res happens to be non dvd complient like 544x576 then use dvdpatcher.exe to patch res of first frame to 720x576 before importing to dvd authoring soft.

As for HD content, tsremux.exe and tsmuxer gui. Both are capable of converting HD TS files to bluray compatible file structures providing audio formats are either AC3 or MPEG2, then you can use a program like ImgBurn to burn bluray files to bluray disk and play in bluray player.

All the programs/files I have mentied are common and can be found using google.