PDA

View Full Version : Duo running smoothly on 3G :D

punisher
07-04-11, 14:49
i have finally (after sum pratting around) got my vu duo using a wifi usb adapter to work with my iphone 4 to access the net lol no more internet needed in the house to get my dam duo working lol all i need now is a lil travel dish. I used MyWi 4.0 as a tether using 3g and just connected my duo to it to use. in an hour its only used 50kb so pretty neat

plusser
08-04-11, 16:47
i have finally (after sum pratting around) got my vu duo using a wifi usb adapter to work with my iphone 4 to access the net lol no more internet needed in the house to get my dam duo working lol all i need now is a lil travel dish. I used MyWi 4.0 as a tether using 3g and just connected my duo to it to use. in an hour its only used 50kb so pretty neat

Can you give some more details on your set-up and what you are doing/trying to do?

Myself, I am using a 3g router and broadband dongle which is working great connected to my Vu. I also use it for all my internet.
I just love saving 12 quid+ a month by doing away with phone line rental. And my data usage is costing peanuts (or at least a lot less than paying for "normal" broadband)

+er

punisher
08-04-11, 19:10
Simple setup, i use my iphone as a hotspot, ive got a ralink usb wifi dongle in my duo which i use to connect tomy iphone wirelessly and it uses my iphone 3g to connect to internet. Simplessss

pooface
08-04-11, 20:02
Yeah, simple to do as punisher says...

Many new phones allow you to use your 3g network as a wireless router... Just make sure your provider won't charge for tethering...

mickbrush
09-04-11, 02:04
Could you please tell me what settings you used on the vu as im strugling to get this working with my iphone

punisher
12-04-11, 10:51
I just chose dhcp on. Wen it connected it picked up address and subnet. The only thing on mywi for iphone i chose the ip range of 172.x.x.x as it seemed tovlash with my home network when i chose 192.168.0.40 or suma. Other than that I didnt chose any settings. I just changed my nameservers to google dns although i dont think that makes a difference. I had to reboot duo a few times for it recognise the network and connect but when it did it worked a breeze.

zappahey
14-04-11, 19:14
in an hour its only used 50kb so pretty neat

What are you actually doing with it? Connecting to friends?

punisher
14-04-11, 19:20

connecting the duo to use the wireless via my iphones 3g connection instead of my ISP. Its just a test to see if it works and for those who have no connection it is doable :D

mickbrush
14-04-11, 20:03
Well I have tried several times to get this to work but no joy.

pooface
14-04-11, 20:05

As punisher says ... this is a test to see if it's possible to use a phone to connect to the web. We are unable to let this discussion diverse to where you are taking it, so take his comment to assume he can access the internet with it, and that's as far as we are discussing it!

punisher
14-04-11, 20:25
yeh as pooface says just a test to see the box can work using 3g lol nothing more nothing less

Larry-G
14-04-11, 20:28
nope dont agree, mine is solid steel, been up for almost 10 years if not longer and it's solid as ever. and if it does put a strain on your house you've got crap bricks LOL.

punisher
14-04-11, 20:31
wrong topic you boob haha im guessing you meant for other topic lol :roflmao:

Larry-G
14-04-11, 20:39
wrong topic you boob haha im guessing you meant for other topic lol :roflmao:

lol well i am trying to complete halo reach on fecking moronic hardness while still typing here lol.

zappahey
17-04-11, 10:38
As punisher says ... this is a test to see if it's possible to use a phone to connect to the web. We are unable to let this discussion diverse to where you are taking it, so take his comment to assume he can access the internet with it, and that's as far as we are discussing it!

Heh, fair enough. I was more interested in how good performance was over the 3G rather than specific "services"

pooface
17-04-11, 10:44
Heh, fair enough. I was more interested in how good performance was over the 3G rather than specific "services"

performance of the box itself is not affected at all whether using 3g or wifi or network cable... What I am guessing you are referring to is not able to be discussed here, as it contravenes the rules...

punisher
17-04-11, 11:45
Performance A++ lol

bassethound
17-04-11, 12:13
i have one running great but check 3g coverage as it can be patchy in some areas

zappahey
17-04-11, 15:02
performance of the box itself is not affected at all whether using 3g or wifi or network cable... What I am guessing you are referring to is not able to be discussed here, as it contravenes the rules...

Internet performance in general, not that of the box. I'm no longer referring to any specific activity, I got that message the first time.

punisher
17-04-11, 15:54
Yeh in general it is fine. It downloads plugins ok and updates when available without any problems. Obviously streaming is a no no as not enough bandwidth or speed but other than that its fine. Does what it needs

mcquaim
13-05-11, 00:17
Hi guys,

What kind of speeds are you obtaining on your 3G connection for this test?

punisher
13-05-11, 10:04
I can get a 3-4mb download and arounnd 2-3mb upload on a good location lol i use the speedtest.net app

mcquaim
13-05-11, 10:52
Cheers punisher! I don't get anywhere near that, between 1-2 download and roughly .5 upload. Ping is around 80 also!

It is probably why my test didn't run as smoothly!

punisher
13-05-11, 11:14
Yeh its a difficult one as speeds depend on location, good reception good speeds. I get a ping of 100-200 at times lol but still works.

mcquaim
13-05-11, 11:26
I would have thought anything over 100 would be causing issues! Perhaps I have more issues than I thought as my ping would never be near that and I'm having issues!

Interesting punisher, thanks for the info!

punisher
13-05-11, 11:29
No proble mate. I dont think these speed test results are consistent cuz normally high pings would mean low speeds but i will test again when i get full recpetion on the phone an see what pings and speeds i get

mcquaim
13-05-11, 20:11
I moved the dongle around the house until now I'm getting 70% signal strength. The speedtest stats are 5.4 download, 1.2 upload and 46 ms ping time. I thought that sounded great but test is still not great!

Does receiver software play any part in the performance of the test?

punisher
13-05-11, 20:48
im not too sure ... ive tried tethering to my laptop via the iphone as a router and it works pretty well on there but havent tried streaming anything like a youtube clip or suma ... might be worth a trial when i get a chance lol

mcquaim
14-05-11, 20:45
An interesting update on this folks! I decided to downgrade softcam from 2.2.1 to 2.1.4 and the difference in performance of the test is pretty shocking, much much smoother!

You would imagine an upgrade would improve performance instead of degrading it..

Summing up, Vu on 3G is actually pretty good!

punisher
14-05-11, 21:55
nice find mcquaim ... never thought it would have an effect

Richy-G
08-05-12, 16:21
which dongle in specific is it that you are using m8? I would like to give this a go

punisher
08-05-12, 19:08
I just used a compatible wifi dongle then tethered the internet from my iphone so the box was connecting to the 3g internet on my phone

Richy-G
09-05-12, 12:05
I have a tp-link tl-wn723n wirelss dongle how would I install drivers on the vu?

Richy-G
09-05-12, 15:45
edit: I have Iphone 4s so can't jailbreak it yet to install mywi

The duo picks up the iphone but then the connection drops even when right next to the adapter, when it does connect signal shows as 100/100, If I leave "wireless network state" on I can see it connects for about 6-7 seconds then drops.

any ideas?

punisher
09-05-12, 17:58
Hmmm not sure as i said its not a supported method but while i was messing about i thought id jus try it and see if it would work n it did for me

Richy-G
10-05-12, 07:30
sorted out why it was dropping I had a space at end of password.. doh!

punisher
10-05-12, 08:25
Lol no worries glad ur sorted