PDA

View Full Version : Best Receiver?

mcquaim
07-04-11, 20:27
Hi there,

I have a Vu Duo and really like it. I want to buy another receiver for my bedroom but not sure what to get.

Initially I was thinking the Vu Solo but then thought for the bit extra perhaps worth stretching for another Duo.

I hear a lot of talk about the Clarke Tech ET-9000 also, is it regarded better than the Duo??

Also, my sister wants me to get her a box. Her budget is tight though so nothing like a Solo, Duo or ET-9000. She'd like HD and not too bothered about twin tuners or HDD options! I thought maybe the TM5402 but not sure how good it is??

What would anyone recommend for both queries?

Sicilian
07-04-11, 21:32
I'd say the ET-9000 is pretty much on par as the Duo, the ET-9000 wins on SD pic quality imo, HD is more or less the same. ET-9000 does have more ram and a newer CPU. Sponser has them at the same price as a Duo.

TM-5402 is a great non-linux HD receiver, another one to look at is the Qbox Duo, single tuner £179 or £199 for Twin tuner, it runs its own version of Enigma2. Will take a bit more time to setup over a TM-5402.

mcquaim
07-04-11, 23:17
Thanks Sic!

Would you Vu again or opt for ET9000?

Also, Qbox Duo better than TM-5402 when you get over the initial setup hurdles?

Sicilian
08-04-11, 05:18
Thanks Sic!

Would you Vu again or opt for ET9000?

Also, Qbox Duo better than TM-5402 when you get over the initial setup hurdles?

I like both the VU & ET-9000, down to preference tbh. I'm currently using my ET-9000 as main receiver.

Qbox is not really better than the TM-5402, they're different types of receivers tbh. The Qbox is for someone who doesn't mind spending a bit of time setting it up as you would any Linux receiver and the TM-5402 is plug & play so to say.

pooface
08-04-11, 10:07
To put my viewpoint in...

Both et9000 and vu duo are great boxes. Currently, the ct has a few drivers problems for me, which are a bit annoying. But once they're sorteed out, I'm sure that it'll be my fave. The remote is ugly, but after getting used to it isn't too bad...

The missus prefers the duo to the ct tho... So, as Sic says, it's all down to personal preference...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

mcquaim
08-04-11, 14:45
Cheers lads!

I just bought a second Vu off the classifieds section so that ends my quest for a second box! I was nearly tempted by the CT but a Duo for £100 less cost was too good to pass up!

As the sister is no way technical I reckon I should opt for the TM as she'd have my head melted with issues otherwise lol..

Thanks for all the input folks, top marks as usual..

punisher
08-04-11, 19:54
I thought the ct was around 360 and you paid 370 for the duo? Am i missing something? Other than the 1tb hdd lol

mcquaim
08-04-11, 21:28
Missing nothing but last time I checked a 1TB HDD wasn't free 