PDA

View Full Version : EPG update crashes box

hashman
01-06-10, 07:44
Hi

I have a wierd problem:
I use DE 1.3.2 latest version,
I have activated update of sky uk bouquet epg via opensat (download of epg.dat file off the net) and use http://hqsatellite.com/satmate/skyuk_epg.dat.gz server

here is the issue, since i have set it to automatically download every night at 3:30am, it works fine the first night, and then second night it crashes the box, which reboots, and .... NO EPG
so i have to manually download

I thought it was a one time thing, but its been happening for the whole week
every 2 night it crashes

how i know it crashes at EPG update is simple: the uptime matches exactly when I have set it to update the epg

I download the epg to usb key, which, as far as i know, doesn't go to sleep... (its a 1gb usb key that is used only for this and the picons)

anyone else experiencing this, and/or maybe uses a different provider that has the EPG for regional channels ?

Sicilian
01-06-10, 09:10
I've also been experiencing the same thing. I think it has something to do the receiver needing a reboot before downloading new EPG.

I've setup an experiment on mine, will know if it's worked after a couple of days. What I've done is setup a cron job to restart Enigma2 at 3am, then another to set the receiver back into standby at 3.15am. The EPG is set to download daily at 7.45am. Hopefully the Enigma2 restart should allow the receiver to download the EPG without any issues.

hashman
01-06-10, 10:17
interesting, will try that tonight and see if it helps

Sicilian
01-06-10, 10:24
Just to add, with DE1.3.2 you can set the cron job in cron manager, Blue button then Blue button again for extra settings ;)

hashman
09-06-10, 21:14
just thought updating: i did what was suggested
i.e:
BOX reboots at 3am
epg is udpated at 3:15am
box goes to standby at 3:30am

its been like this for a few days now, and guess what :) no problems whatsoever! so its all GREAT!

thanks

pooface
09-06-10, 22:24
One question, are you updating via opentv & the satmate_uk server?! Or just the satmate uk server!?

Also, where are you storing your epg data? Is it to /media/usb, /media/hdd, or else?! If either of these 2, do you actually have a physical drive mounted to those points?!

I'm using /media/usb, and it seems to be stable now since I had my original problems, without worrying about a reboot or anything...

hashman
10-06-10, 07:43
i'm storing on /media/usb
have a 1gb usb key in

i have opentv and satmate_uk (i think both since i always tick all possible options :p)

i used to have a problem which was every 2 days i used to loose my epg => when updating, it would crash (green screen) and reboot enigma, hence all the epg would be lost
so i did the reboot before updateing and it seems to be working for my case atleast

pooface
10-06-10, 08:18
You only need one or the other of opentv & satmate... Does the box still tune to hip-hop uk to get the epg data? And then it downloads from satmate (or vice-versa)?! If so, then this is totally pointless, since the last one will overwrite all settings received from the 1st one. So, you only need to receive one of the epg datas... Might (but I doubt it), be what had caused your crashing...

Also, do you use a lot of plugins etc!? Might be that your flash is getting full, and there isn't much space for it creating the epg data?!

hashman
10-06-10, 09:20
ah opentv goes via hiphop => in that case no, i don't use opentv, only satmate
only plugins i use is cam

Sicilian
10-06-10, 09:23
Also make sure that your using the latest Deliteepgproviders.cfg http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?542-Latest-Deliteepgproviders.cfg-EPG-providers-in-EPG-panel-of-Dream-Elite-images