PDA

View Full Version : Website Not Loading

lammy1961
05-04-11, 07:32
I have 2 desktop PC's plugged into the same router, one has windows 7 and the other has trusty old Windows XP Pro, yesterday I was unable to access this site http://www.world-of-satellite.com on my XP machine, but when I tried from work it was fine, "Strange" so that ruled out the site being down.....I then booted the Windows 7 PC up when I got up this morning and it allows me to access this site, but the XP gives me the error message "Server Not Found" Firefox cant find the server at http://www.world-of-satellite.com
I have tried with Internet Explorer and it's just the same.
I have the same antivirus software on both machines...Strange one ?

Any ideas ?

Thank you.

Sicilian
05-04-11, 07:39
Our forum was moved last Friday so could still be propagating.

lammy1961
05-04-11, 07:44
I dont think It's that Sic, I have the 2 PC's running in the house the Win 7 one loads the site, the XP one gives the error message.

Thanks.

Sicilian
05-04-11, 07:54
I dont think It's that Sic, I have the 2 PC's running in the house the Win 7 one loads the site, the XP one gives the error message.

Thanks.

You tried clearing cache etc..?

Larry-G
05-04-11, 07:56
well both my xp and windows 7 machines work fine on the site. as sic pointed out the site recently changed servers / hosts and it can take between 48 hrs to a week for the DNS settings to fully propagate throughout the internet.

punisher
05-04-11, 07:56
Press Start->Run->cmd
when command prompt opens type
ipconfig /flushdns

lammy1961
05-04-11, 08:27
Yes...Sic...Cleared cache.

Press Start->Run->cmd
ipconfig /flushdns

Done that as well punisher....Just the same.

lammy1961
05-04-11, 09:30
Just accessed it from my iPhone logged onto the home network, no problem at all ?
It was working from the XP machine on Sunday evening.

Sicilian
05-04-11, 10:08
Just accessed it from my iPhone logged onto the home network, no problem at all ?
It was working from the XP machine on Sunday evening.

you sure a firewall or something hasn't blocked the site?

punisher
05-04-11, 10:51
Boot the pc up in safe mode and see of you can get on, to boot in safe mode reboot and as the pc goes to reboot keep pressing F8 and then chose safe mode with networking and then see if you can get online then. If you can then there is something loaded on the computer blocking it in normal mode

gazza341
05-04-11, 13:29
Try downloading a different browser than the one you are currently using - firefox, google chrome etc, and see if you can access via that.
There are so many variables it's hard to pin-point one particular thing
Just a thought and worth trying.

lammy1961
05-04-11, 14:25
Boot the pc up in safe mode and see of you can get on, to boot in safe mode reboot and as the pc goes to reboot keep pressing F8 and then chose safe mode with networking and then see if you can get online then. If you can then there is something loaded on the computer blocking it in normal mode

Done that just the same, how come it works from the my sons Win 7 machine plugged into the same router ?

gazza341
Try downloading a different browser than the one you are currently using - firefox, google chrome etc, and see if you can access via that.
There are so many variables it's hard to pin-point one particular thing
Just a thought and worth trying.

I have tried with Internet Explorer and Firefox, I'll try Chrome when I get in from work tonight.

Thanks for the replies........All suggestions are welcome.

punisher
05-04-11, 14:36
You havent got any manually assigned dns address in your network adapter have ya?

lammy1961
05-04-11, 19:30
punisher
You havent got any manually assigned dns address in your network adapter have ya?

I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks for the help.

Larry-G
05-04-11, 19:37
I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks for the help.

have you gone into your lan card on the pc and manually set some dns settings in there ?.

lammy1961
05-04-11, 19:50
I have a static ip set up, something like this.
I'm not sure if I have the "Use The Following DNS Server Addresses" or the one above "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" selected

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2217/staticn.jpg

punisher
05-04-11, 20:27
hmm could be the dns, is there anyway for you to test by chosing Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically? you might have to Obtain IP Address Automatically too in order for the DNS option to be highlighted

Larry-G
05-04-11, 21:27
ok try by using the open DNS settings see if that rectifies your problem. make a note of the settings you currently have incase you want to go back but try these ones.
(208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220)

lammy1961
05-04-11, 23:16

Yes I have I just looked in Network Connections.
And I have a Local Area Connection and a 1394 Net Adapter...Both showing connected.

What is the 1394 Net Adapter.

punisher
06-04-11, 00:02
Go into the local area one and copy down the settings you have in there and then set them to automatic ones for ip an dns and give that a try. Not sure what 1394 is though never used it lol

lammy1961
06-04-11, 00:43
Pheonix.
I did what you said and changed the DNS settings.....Guess what, it worked...Strange.
Will this affect DynDNS ?

ok try by using the open DNS settings see if that rectifies your problem. make a note of the settings you currently have incase you want to go back but try these ones.
(208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220)

Thanks for all the help guys.
Should I leave the new settings ?
Update....After a while it just defaults back to my original settings....Any ideas.

punisher
06-04-11, 01:02
glad u got it sorted. it wont effect your dyndns as that routes to your IP address and not the DNS address

judge
06-04-11, 01:05
google public DNS always seem to update fastest for me.
Always use them when I hit an issue like this.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

lammy1961
06-04-11, 01:42
Pheonix, it just reverts back to the original DNS, and thats when this site stops responding....I have read about ipconfig /flushdns
Would that help me without causing any damage in other departments ?
I also read about contacting my ISP (BT) and asking them for BT Broadband DNS Servers.

Thanks for being so helpful...That goes out to all members.

Thanks Judge for your input.

lammy1961
06-04-11, 01:52
Sorry Punisher, I just noticed this...

Press Start->Run->cmd
ipconfig /flushdns

I'll give it a go in the morning, as long as It's safe ?

Cheers :)

Larry-G
06-04-11, 02:12
Sorry Punisher, I just noticed this...

I'll give it a go in the morning, as long as It's safe ?

Cheers :)

yes it's perfectly safe. it just flushes the DNS as the name suggests.

judge
06-04-11, 02:36
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are your DNS friends if all else fails...

Larry-G
06-04-11, 02:50
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are your DNS friends if all else fails...

personally ive never gone wrong with the open dns settings. even when ALL others have failed.

pooface
06-04-11, 07:14
Use the google ones here.... Personally, I configure it on the router. That way, everything uses the google dns servers...

As to the question re 1394... That's your firewire port...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

Larry-G
06-04-11, 08:10
Use the google ones here.... Personally, I configure it on the router. That way, everything uses the google dns servers...

As to the question re 1394... That's your firewire port...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

yeah i have mine set through my router too. not that i use my home network as much as i use the laptop on the go. lol

lammy1961
06-04-11, 08:46
A big thanks to everyone that has helped.
I changed the DNS to the Google Public DNS, however after a little while they just revert bact to the original ones, I know when this happens because I cant access this site.
I have had the same DNS settings for the last couple of years, so I'm a bit lost as to why it suddenly blocks this site....
This is the only site that I use on a regular basis that is causing a problem.

Should I post my problematic DNS settings on here ?

Any ideas ?

pooface
06-04-11, 09:52
A big thanks to everyone that has helped.
I changed the DNS to the Google Public DNS, however after a little while they just revert bact to the original ones, I know when this happens because I cant access this site.
I have had the same DNS settings for the last couple of years, so I'm a bit lost as to why it suddenly blocks this site....
This is the only site that I use on a regular basis that is causing a problem.

Should I post my problematic DNS settings on here ?

Any ideas ?

Can you not just log in to your router, and in the dhcp setup of the router, there should be a dns settings tab in there. If you change this to the google or opendns servers, then everything that gets a network connection should use these new dns servers...

However, I would wonder why your dns keeps reverting?! Where abouts are you changing them? In the network settings tab? Do you have any policies or software which is trying to enforce a security or something (thinking of those type of programs to stop children accessing certain sites etc)?!

lammy1961
06-04-11, 10:49
However, I would wonder why your dns keeps reverting?! Where abouts are you changing them? In the network settings tab? Do you have any policies or software which is trying to enforce a security or something (thinking of those type of programs to stop children accessing certain sites etc)?!

I use McAfee Antivirus and Spyware Doctor.
I'm changing it in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties.
Below is a screen dump of the problematic DNS settings.

These are the ones that it always defaults back to.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/329/internetprotocol.jpg

Should I change the ones in the Router ?
Router Screen Dump

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9528/wandns.jpg

pooface
06-04-11, 11:08
only trouble is, even if you change them in the router, if it keeps defaulting back to the ones you have in the IP properties, then you'll always be using the problematic dns address...

pooface
06-04-11, 11:11
Just doing a quick google on the dns address you have, and found this:

I recently experienced these same symptoms with a client of mine. What was interesting is that I found that the DNS settings kept being set to 216.146.35.35. I Googled this IP address and found that DynDns has a new feature on its client called "Internet Guide" that will change your DNS settings to the 216.146.35.35 settings I mentioned. I can't say this is what all of you are experiencing but maybe googling the IP address might find some answers for you. Good luck!

That looks to be your problem I would say...

punisher
06-04-11, 11:39
i didnt install the internet guide lol maybe thats why i never had that problem.. pointless installin uneccesary addons lol

lammy1961
06-04-11, 11:42
Thanks...Pooface.

pooface
06-04-11, 11:45
I dunno how the internet guide thing works, but yes, I would disbale it on that pc...

As for dns to use, choose whicher you prefer. I use google atm, but before used opendns... Both work perfectly fine. I just chose to try google once, and it's working fine, so haven't changed back :p

You could always just use the isp dns servers... May work just as well :p

lammy1961
06-04-11, 11:49
So if I log onto DynDNS and remove the tick from:
Enable DynDNS.com Internet Guide On This PC.

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/5707/dyndns.jpg

Then change the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties to the
Google or would you use the OpenDNS
8.8.8.8 208.67.222.222
8.8.4.4 208.67.220.220

punisher
06-04-11, 11:52
i did a ping test with open dns vs google dns vs virgin dns and vm ones came out top avg 13ms then opendns avg 23ms and last came google dns avg 31ms .... but ive always stuck with vm even though ive tried all the others, not really had any problems but just sticking to what i got lol

lammy1961
06-04-11, 11:58
I must have DynDNS installed on the router and on the PC....Surely I can disable the one on the PC, I have this running on the router

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5500/ddns.jpg

pooface
06-04-11, 12:05
I must have DynDNS installed on the router and on the PC....Surely I can disable the one on the PC, I have this running on the router

If you have it running on the router, then there's no point having it installed on the pc... Everytime the router reboots and gets a new ip address, it will update the dyndns server with your new ip address... So, I would say you should be ok to remove the one on the pc :p (just don't blame me if it all goes wrong :p)

punisher
06-04-11, 12:41
i use the built in one on the router, no need for one on the pc and even on the reciever ... the router will automatically do it as pooface said

lammy1961
06-04-11, 12:45
For the time being I have removed the tick from the:
"Enable DynDNS.com Internet Guide on this PC"

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/5707/dyndns.jpg

And changed the settings in here to

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/329/internetprotocol.jpg

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the time you guys have put in helping me.

punisher
06-04-11, 12:50
No problem mate, let us know how u get on

lammy1961
07-04-11, 09:43
I disabled the DynDNS Updater on the P.C.
Changed the DNS settings in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties
to the Google DNS settings....And it has kept those settings.
So it was obdviously the DynDNS Updater that was putting the settings back in.

Thanks.