PDA

View Full Version : Does such a thing as a season pass exist...

Comfysofa
04-04-11, 13:34
Having just gone cold turkey and taken out my trusty tivo (service ending on the old ones next month) - ive pretty well got the vu+ running in place of the old girl....

One thing that the tivo did was "Season pass" stuff - ie you told it the name and it recorded it - whenever it was on.

The vu has "auto timer" but does that just add a timer in at that point in time ie - if the shedule moves or changes the timer stays where it is....so is there an option to record by the name of the title not by when its on at that time - or, does auto timer do that??

pooface
04-04-11, 14:05
Having just gone cold turkey and taken out my trusty tivo (service ending on the old ones next month) - ive pretty well got the vu+ running in place of the old girl....

One thing that the tivo did was "Season pass" stuff - ie you told it the name and it recorded it - whenever it was on.

The vu has "auto timer" but does that just add a timer in at that point in time ie - if the shedule moves or changes the timer stays where it is....so is there an option to record by the name of the title not by when its on at that time - or, does auto timer do that??

I can't remember exactly how often (I think it's ever 3 hours or so), the box will do a check on what you have added to autotimer. It will then go through your epg and check whether the timers are still correct for what is written in the epg. This is all reliant on the epg data being kept up to date, so, in the event of world cup football, for example. If a match went to extra time/penalties and that had a knock on effect to programs being shown afterwards, it's unlikely it would continue to record it at the new time...

[Edit]
After confirming with andy, it appears this only checks when in standby as default. However, you can customise by pressing menu button when in autotimer...

Stanman
04-04-11, 17:57
Its very similar to series link but its not perfect, it does search by programme name and you can make this specific or general in that it will look for things similar ie Hearbeat and than anything with heartbeat in the title.

I've used Autotimer to records NCIS & CIS, it does pick up when the new series starts but also repeats on the same channel, though you can set description to unique and it will not record repeat showings.

Overrall its not as nice as series link but does the job very well.

Comfysofa
04-04-11, 18:54
Thats good enough for me - ill have a play....tar