PDA

View Full Version : question about streaming to another box

stu_iow
29-03-11, 14:02
HI everyone,
Love the VU+ duo so much, i want the ability to stream the content it has on it and recevies onto another box (including HD), like a DM800HD or something.
This will be for the bedroom, i was going to go a PC route, but want something compact, quite and easy to operate.

SO i am think about another dreambox or similar.

Can this be done and are there any boxes to avoid for this?

Many thanks,
Stuart

silverfox0786
29-03-11, 14:18
you can mount the hdd of another reciver to a second reciver quite easily

just use network browser to add teh mounts

sivhead
29-03-11, 14:51
Why would you want to stream from one box. Just get a quad lnb and get another satellite cable connected. configure your box in your bedroom the same as your VU and your good to go...

Actually thinking about the question you could have a reason.... Theirs not to reason why.....

You wont be able to stream HD content to another satellite box. Other options, a small form factor PC such as Shuttle XS35GT Mini Computer System. Its about the same size as a dreambox and also quiet.

Why dont you go for something like a vu solo in the bedroom. Create a mount point to the hard drive so you can play back recorded files. Configure the VU DUO downstairs identical to the VU Solo. Turn off the softcam upstairs. When you want to watch something upstairs turn off your softcam downstairs and then turn on your softcam upstairs....

I wont go any further as I dont want to break any rules.....

stu_iow
29-03-11, 17:46
I simply want to use the network cable that goes into the bedroom rather than lay a good 15-20 meters worth (x2) of satellite cable around the outside of the house.
I would also then need to upgrade the LNB to an 8 output as the in-laws next door will be using 2 ports off the LNB shortly.

I do have an old Xbox (first one) with XBMC on it, but the controls for the plugin are clunky and i can only watch live stuff and not recorded stuff it seems.

Rob van der Does
29-03-11, 20:26
The same idea here: just a LAN-cable, and you can see all that is recorded. Never watch live-telly anyway, so absolutely no advantage in making expensive and awkward additions to the dish.

But when using the partnerbox plugin for that purpose: do you also have the choice in audio & subtitle as on the "motherbox"?

irishchris
29-03-11, 23:06
Yes partnerbox gives all audio options same as from main box and it also receives HD channels perfectly eg.duo-solo
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
30-03-11, 06:05
But not the advanced options (the globale settings for audio & subtitles)?

stu_iow
30-03-11, 11:10
I have to ask.
Partnerbox plugin, is this exactly what i am looking for? A plugin to allow streaming onto a 2nd box within my network?

irishchris
30-03-11, 11:17
I have to ask.
Partnerbox plugin, is this exactly what i am looking for? A plugin to allow streaming onto a 2nd box within my network?

In one word - Yes

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

stu_iow
30-03-11, 11:22
excellent.
Now to find a good deal on a 2nd box.
Many thanks!

Rob van der Does
30-03-11, 11:27
If the Partnerbox is indeed doing a good job, the ideal situation would be to have one big PVR in the cellar (e.g. a DM8000 with 4 tuners), and in all the rooms you want to watch telly have a simple, small box with only a LAN-connection.

stu_iow
30-03-11, 11:37
that is something i had in mind for the future already to be honest :)

Got 2 satellite tuners as standard on the vu+, want to get a 3rd satellite for my motorised dish (obviously USB) and i already have a dual tuner dvb-t stick, just only 1 tuner works on it, hopefully a firmware update will sort that later.

bassethound
30-03-11, 11:46
If a paid over a grand for a DM8000 with 4 tuners it would not live in my cellar or attic or another room

it would take pride of place in my AV glass stand :D