PDA

View Full Version : How to unbrick badly flashed unit?

Koro
27-03-11, 11:46
Got my ET9000 since last week. Currently testing various images. Ended up with testing ViX image. Updated my bootloader with et9000_bootloader_20110212 but cannot start ET9000 at all now.

All I can see is black screen, hdd noise and no VFD characters on et9000 front panel (all is off)

How to unbrick my unit now?

Please help, standard usb flashing not working now.

Larry-G
27-03-11, 12:05
invest in a rs232 null modem cable. should cost no more than a few quid but there invaluable.

Sicilian
27-03-11, 12:13
invest in a rs232 null modem cable. should cost no more than a few quid but there invaluable.

There isn't any RS232 recovery software for the ET-9000.

@ The OP are you 100% that you never removed the internal battery?

Koro
27-03-11, 12:18
OMG. Is it like dead now? I mean cmon, I only flashed new image, like usuall, and it always worked that way.

Got rs232 cable, pluged in, tried putty to com1 but nothing appeared on the console screen.

Larry-G
27-03-11, 12:26
There isn't any RS232 recovery software for the ET-9000.

@ The OP are you 100% that you never removed the internal battery?

well thats pretty piss poor then as virtually every receiver known to man has a software package for just this occasion. iv'e done it with many many receivers going back 20 years. i know one thing if it's not possible to ressurect a ET9000 via null modem thats certainly one crossed off my list of receivers to buy.

OMG. Is it like dead now? I mean cmon, I only flashed new image, like usuall, and it always worked that way.

Got rs232 cable, pluged in, tried putty to com1 but nothing appeared on the console screen.

well as sic said there is no recovery software for the ET9000 via null modem cable.

Sicilian
27-03-11, 12:31
well thats pretty piss poor then as virtually every receiver known to man has a software package for just this occasion. iv'e done it with many many receivers going back 20 years. i know one thing if it's not possible to ressurect a ET9000 via null modem thats certainly one crossed off my list of receivers to buy.

well as sic said there is no recovery software for the ET9000 via null modem cable.

The ET-9000 is pretty hard to brick :trustme: i've tried ;) Imo this sounds like the OP removed the internal battery.

Larry-G
27-03-11, 12:34
The ET-9000 is pretty hard to brick :trustme: i've tried ;) Imo this sounds like the OP removed the internal battery.

even so no recovery software via null modem is a total non starter for me. ( and yes i do know of the problem with the battery etc ). i mean come on USB flashing can and does have it's problems but at least you know if all goes tits up you can fall back on the trusty null modem cable, well you can for all but the ET9000 lol.

Sicilian
27-03-11, 12:39
even so no recovery software via null modem is a total non starter for me. ( and yes i do know of the problem with the battery etc ). i mean come on USB flashing can and does have it's problems but at least you know if all goes tits up you can fall back on the trusty null modem cable, well you can for all but the ET9000 lol.

For the the ET-9000 to not be recoverable via USB flash the op has damaged the bootloader somehow, like I said this sounds like the battery has been removed.

Regards RS232 recovery software, it does not always work, its not fail proof :trustme: For instance the VU Utility does NOT work on the Solo and I've never been able to recover a bricked Duo or Solo using their RS232 utility.

Koro
27-03-11, 12:43
I did not touch the battery nor opened the unit somehow. I only flashed the bootloader via usb, but something went wrong, dunno why, because after flashing all I see is black screen and no vfd display.

Sicilian
27-03-11, 12:44
I did not touch the battery nor opened the unit somehow. I only flashed the bootloader via usb, but something went wrong, dunno why, because after flashing all I see is black screen and no vfd display.

Try re-flashing your bootloader.

Koro
27-03-11, 12:49
Tried that too without success, its not flashing at all now.

Sicilian
27-03-11, 12:59
Contact where u purchased and get it exchanged under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koro
27-03-11, 13:02
I've made a contact with the shop. They told me that it is my fault and will have to pay for service. Is that so?

punisher
27-03-11, 13:03
how did they say it is your fault without them checking it out?

Stanman
27-03-11, 13:52
Probably because he was honest and told them what he had done, even saying that have you tried to flash with original image?

Is anything coming on the display?

silverfox0786
27-03-11, 13:53
i agree wiht punisher on this one

but let this be a lesson to all

buy from a reputed seller

in my opinion our site sponsor

Koro
27-03-11, 14:24
Yes I was honest with the seller, it is recommeded and popular seller at my place, yet he thinks that I damaged the unit hence the payment :/

I was trying to Putty to COM1 on ET9000 but no messages appears on terminal (tried Ferguson 88000 HD and receiving some messages via COM1)

punisher
27-03-11, 14:50
Looks like the seller isnt much for customer service. Can you not try clarke tech directly as it should have 1 year manufacture warranty?

Sicilian
27-03-11, 19:50
This really sounds like somehow you currupted the bootloader during its flash or the bootloader flash files got corrupted when transferring them to usb.

I always use Teracopy to transfer ALL flash files to usb, this minimises file corruption.

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

Koro
27-03-11, 23:57
This really sounds like somehow you currupted the bootloader during its flash or the bootloader flash files got corrupted when transferring them to usb.

I will be sending it back to seller. Was emailing with him today. I told him that I belive it wasnt my fault, I used the CT's flash procedure and their own software (update files).

This is CT's support response:

"Dear Sir,

into this case we presume that your receiver is faulty.

Please contact your retailer, dealer, or distributor from whom you purchased
the product.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

CT Support Team"

Looks like not may fault? at least for a fast remote diagnose.

Aslain
25-04-11, 23:11
My unit was replaced for free because it died durring flashing the bootloader. I will never flash bootloader again without any reason, let this be lesson to anyone.....

Stanman
25-04-11, 23:24
My unit was replaced for free because it died durring flashing the bootloader. I will never flash bootloader again without any reason, let this be lesson to anyone.....

Its quite safe mate as long as you follow the instructions. I updated mine and it went without a hitch.

The rule with something this important read twice act once.

Glad your back up and running.