PDA

View Full Version : Why The New VIX Image So Soon ?

lammy1961
26-03-11, 18:02
Why The New VIX 2.1 Image So Soon ?
Was/Is there a problem with VIX 2.0 ?

silverfox0786
26-03-11, 18:17
duo to the drivers being changed by vu so dramatically it was required that a reflash was performed

so to difrenciate the versions a new image needed to be released

an update would not have worked and will not work

do not update from 2.0.3 it wont work and will break the image

pooface
26-03-11, 18:53
Don't forget the few little changes behind the scenes of the image. This image also comes out to bring the enhancements available in the vix et9000 image to the duo/solo...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

Larry-G
26-03-11, 18:57
cant do rite for doing wrong !.

the other day we had people moaning that we were spending too much time and effort on other receivers, now we have people complaining that were releasing new images.

just be thankfull you have a team (VIX) who are constantly working to improve the image and your not paying for it.

Rob van der Does
26-03-11, 19:05
And don't forget: using Autobackup & Autoinstall reflashing gives you back your complete system in a couple of minutes.

pooface
26-03-11, 19:16
And also, don't forget that using the image manager, you can take a backup of the old image as it is currently, so that if you don't like the new image, or have problems with it, u can reflash to old image and have it up and running exactly like the old image...

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

lammy1961
26-03-11, 21:04
Did I lodge a complaint ?
It wasn't meant to be.

Comfysofa
27-03-11, 07:32
I for one have to say im impressed (ive got another couple of posts open) ive had one of these for the last 9 months or so but never really got to play around with it properly (married, 3 kids, 45 hours a week job, house renovating etc etc...) my Tivo is dying in 2 months time (f***ers are shutting the epg service down due to the new one coming out from virgin media) in my personal opinion as a PVR the Tivo is and always has been untouchable from ease of use. Im a sys admin and i change hardware like my kacks but the tivo has been under the TV for 10 years and gone through countless numbers of upgrades and has been amazing....ill get off the soap box for the old girl now...

But, ive put the VU in the front room along side it so i had the chance to get to use it all the time and ive gotta say im almost as impressed (early days yet) the VU is better in just about every way, technology rolls on.....the only thing in my opinion that could do with more work is the epg, which is what made the tivo what it was....

The fact that new images come out often means stuff is moving, now ive sussed out how to restore it all manually within about an hour and ive just found out that i can flash backup the whole lot (im at work at the moment but ill try it when i get home) makes it even better again.

This wasnt a moan at anyone, more of just a statement of gratitude as now ive had a chance to mess around with it properly im constantly surprised by what it can do...(found out last night i could send MKVHD's over to it which it plays beautifully using project valerie, more for the interface as the regular media player is a little clunky)

Top stuff, and always looking forward to more new images...that begs another question (when's the terrestrial usb tuner support coming? that for me would make it the ultimate receiver....)

stick50jr
01-04-11, 15:53
Last week I said Pooface was a tease for advertising that he was using Vix2.1 when the publicly available version was 2.0! Thats just my sick sense of humour. Probably shouldn't post (just read) unless I've got something to contribute. Over here (Oz) there is a tradition of understatement and deprecation that I feel quite comfortable with. This contrasts with the good old USA, where everyone seems to blow their own trumpets and loadly acclaim their exploits even when they may be regarded as dubious by some. I suspect that the Vix team know that they are doing a great job without too many sycophantic comments from users.

I have tried half a dozen of the most common Vu+Duo images and the Vix images are the best! I don't mind waiting for updates. I hope that the team can take a little bit of comment without feeling that it is necessarily criticism. Just do your own thing and accept any suggestions you like but don't worry about the one's you don't like. The image belongs to the team afterall, and we are just users.

cheers

bod66
01-04-11, 20:50
cant do rite for doing wrong !.

the other day we had people moaning that we were spending too much time and effort on other receivers, now we have people complaining that were releasing new images.

just be thankfull you have a team (VIX) who are constantly working to improve the image and your not paying for it.

thats just 1 the many say thank you